Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused

Unhappy Confused
    My husband's 1st generation iPhone was jailbroken (firmware v 1.1.4) and he decided to update to 3.1
    He didnt care that his phone was no longer going to be jailbroken BUT he did want to keep all his contacts. However, after the update & clicking on restore from backup...his screen showed the apple & a status bar that never seemed to move. Anyone have this problem? Is there a way I can open up a (readable) backup to manually enter his contacts in his phone? Please help. Thank you!

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

cant he just set up as a new phone and resync everything? restore as backup has been giving out a few problems. It is best to setup as new.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

vholley (2009-09-25)

Yes that's what I did but now I need to put his contacts back on. Any ideas?

or, just set up as new, then try again by right-clicking on the phone in the left sidebar in itunes and chosing "restore from backup" ... bet it works on the second try

Thanks

i take that he didnt use outlook nor entourage to import his contacts, did he?

Nooo (banging forehead)
    I thought for sure the backup would work because I've never had issues with mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Edit, had window open and was already responded to.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

vholley (2009-09-25)

Thanks

well...try it again...on the left plane of itunes where the iphone appears...right hand click and choose backup again...see how that goes.

Thanks

^Mmmmmmm, with a major firmware update and restoring from a back up may not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^Mmmmmmm, with a major firmware update and restoring from a back up may not be a good idea.
    worked for me, just saying it SHOULD work, according to apple ... so why not give it a shot? if it works but the iphone behaves strange, she can still sync the contacts to outlook and THEN restore as a new phone

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

vholley (2009-09-25)

Thanks

^ restoring from a back up from Big Boss
    Upgrading a major version needs a clean restore. Upgrading a minor version should be OK with an upgrade.
    Same goes for backups - do not restore from a backup made in a FW with a major change but minor changes are fine.
    A number change is major and a decimal change (e.g. 3.0 -> 3.1) is minor.
    Also doing it this way it picks up old jailbreak data and can cause major issues.
    But that being said, it certainly can be done, at least to get the contacts back, sync and restore again and set up as new if there is a problem.

I'll give the backup a try again. I hope I can get his contacts...I just don't know how I'm going to do it if the backup doesn't work. Yikes!