Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G and 3.1 questions

Default 2G and 3.1 questions
    Thanks for help...

My girlfriend has a 2G running 3.0 and I would like to get her up to 3.1.

We have windows xp so here are my questions:
    1)Can I still update her if I can find a custom ipsw?
    2)If a tool comes out to make a custom ipsw on Windows should she click the "activate" icon in the tool....
    ------she is using an ATT sim card BUT it is supposed to be in a Blackjack phone(her work pays for phone but they must use Blackjack) I have had to unlock it everytime in the past.

Thanks,

ltp

1) yeah, you can. but I would make sure that you get on a mac and create that custom IPSW yourself, don't download them from torrent sites or something, you never know what you get

2) it's not very likely that such a tool will be released, it's more likely that redsn0w will be released which works for windows as well. in any case, if she has the sim-card that originally came with the phone and that sim card is activated (= could be used) then use that sim card to activate through itunes. if you don't have the original simcard, you have to activate through pwangetool/redsn0w.

regards

Thanks for the reply.

Im still a bit confused on whether or not to check "activate".

Her sim card is an official AT&T sim, BUT i always had to unlock it in the past to get her up and running bc this card is supposed to be in a Blackjack phone.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethepirk View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Im still a bit confused on whether or not to check "activate".

Her sim card is an official AT&T sim, BUT i always had to unlock it in the past to get her up and running bc this card is supposed to be in a Blackjack phone.

Thanks again!
    oh, I think you are mixing up "activating" and "unlocking".
    activating is normally done through itunes. it only requires the official simcard that came with the iphone to be in the iphone. than itunes will activate the phone. this will get you past the "slide for emergency" screen and allow you to actually use the iphone.
    unlocking on the other hand, disables the simlock and allows you to put any simcard into the phone.

so here is the deal: if you have a functional official simcard, then activate the phone with that simcard. that means: after you restored, put that simcard in the phone and connect it to itunes. after a while the phone will tell you "iPhone is activated" -> done.
    after that, if you want to use another simcard, you have to unlock the phone. well, on a 2G you actually don't have to do anything, because both custom firmwares and redsn0w unlock the phone when you jailbreak it. So basically: if you have an official simcard, do NOT check "activate" and connect to itunes once with your official simcard in the phone. after that, put in any simcard you like.