Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Baffled by Battery %

Default Baffled by Battery %
    I hope you can help me. I'll start by saying my 3G 3.0 has been jailbroken for a few months now and I wouldn't have it any other way ... but the dust under the screen is driving me nuts. So I am taking my phone in to the Apple Store tomorrow for an exchange. So I went ahead and upgraded to 3.1 to clear off and reset everything (remove jailbreak/Cydia etc.). I just noticed that the battery percent indicator by the battery logo up top is still showing. This was activated in SBS Settings and I thought it would be removed with the reset. I am concerned that the Genius handling the exchange tomorrow will see this and not allow me to swap. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I haven't found anywhere in the settings to shut this off. Is it standard in 3.1 firmware update? Any help will be appreciated.

I got it after I updated to 3.0, but I didn't do any restore after my 2.2.1 jailbreak. I doubt it's a jailbreak feature. Go to settings>general>usage and there should be an option to turn it off I it is non-jailbreak related.

According to the iPhone manual on the Apple website "The battery icon in the upper-right corner shows the battery level or charging status. You can also display the percentage of the battery charge (iPhone 3GS only)". I understood this to only be available in the 3GS, I have a 3G. I don't have any access to change it under settings>general>usage. Again, still baffled.I wasn't able to add the feature until I installed SBS settings on my jailbroken phone. Now it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    According to the iPhone manual on the Apple website "The battery icon in the upper-right corner shows the battery level or charging status. You can also display the percentage of the battery charge (iPhone 3GS only)". I understood this to only be available in the 3GS, I have a 3G. I don't have any access to change it under settings>general>usage. Again, still baffled.I wasn't able to add the feature until I installed SBS settings on my jailbroken phone. Now it is still there.
    restore and do NOT restore from backup when itunes asks you to. that will solve the issue.
    the problem is that sbSettings does nothing more than activate the feature from the 3GS on your 3G. that feature is stored in the global preference file which is backed up by itunes. so if you restore from backup, that setting is restored onto your iphone. you should definetly get rid of it before taking it to apple, those geniuses are pretty smart

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    restore and do NOT restore from backup when itunes asks you to. that will solve the issue.
    the problem is that sbSettings does nothing more than activate the feature from the 3GS on your 3G. that feature is stored in the global preference file which is backed up by itunes. so if you restore from backup, that setting is restored onto your iphone. you should definetly get rid of it before taking it to apple, those geniuses are pretty smart
    BlackWolf, that makes perfect sense. I will do this, but I want to know, will I not be able to restore the phone with my current contacts etc. I don't care about apps or music but I need calendar and contacts for work. I have added quite a few since I jailbroke a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    BlackWolf, that makes perfect sense. I will do this, but I want to know, will I not be able to restore the phone with my current contacts etc. I don't care about apps or music but I need calendar and contacts for work. I have added quite a few since I jailbroke a few months ago.
    well, just do a fresh restore, take the phone to apple. whatever phone you bring back home (a new one or your old one), you just connect it to itunes, right-click on it in the left sidebar in itunes and select "restore from backup" or something like that, which will give you the option to restore a backup onto your phone (this includes contacts, calender, everything ...).
    please note that this is the way it SHOULD work, I can't guarantee itunes messes something up (sometimes it does, but rarely). so if you have really important data on there, you might want to sync your calender and contacts with outlook (windows) or adressbook/ical (mac) to back it up.

btw: if you bring back a new phone itunes should ask you if you want to restore from a backup anyway, then you won't have to do the right-clicking stuff ^^ itunes will ask you when you first connect the phone, at least it did for my exchange phone

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

rushmore (2009-09-22)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    well, just do a fresh restore, take the phone to apple. whatever phone you bring back home (a new one or your old one), you just connect it to itunes, right-click on it in the left sidebar in itunes and select "restore from backup" or something like that, which will give you the option to restore a backup onto your phone (this includes contacts, calender, everything ...).
    please note that this is the way it SHOULD work, I can't guarantee itunes messes something up (sometimes it does, but rarely). so if you have really important data on there, you might want to sync your calender and contacts with outlook (windows) or adressbook/ical (mac) to back it up.

btw: if you bring back a new phone itunes should ask you if you want to restore from a backup anyway, then you won't have to do the right-clicking stuff ^^ itunes will ask you when you first connect the phone, at least it did for my exchange phone
    Thanks for your help.