Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm an idiot. Upgraded to 3.1, have no idea what to do.

Default I'm an idiot. Upgraded to 3.1, have no idea what to do.
    I have an iPhone 2G and hadn't updated my firmware in a while. I saw someone on facebook post in their status that they finally updated their iphone firmware, and wow how amazing it was. Without checking to see if there was an unlock (just assumed there would be, since the person said "finally") there wasn't one. So now I'm stuck with a phone that can only make emergency calls.

I've looked around the site to try and figure out how to downgrade, but I can't figure it out. If anyone can help, they may have to spell things out instead of using abbreviations and the usual scene lingo. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

On a 2G you should be fine (since the upgrade won't upgrade your baseband). Go ahead and downgrade (if you have a mac you can jailbreak it just fine, if you have Windows you can still jailbreak--though not official--but you can find the tutorial here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/685...1-windows.html )

Here is the Mac tutorial for 3.1 jailbreak in case you are on a mac:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...l-3-1-mac.html

Now, the reason why I'm directing you to jailbreak, if you don't already know, is so you can access your springboard so you won't be stuck on "slide for emergency". You can find the programs listed in the above threads (if they don't already say/provide) such as pwnage tool (mac for 3.1 JB) on the Dev-team's blog (google dev-team and click the first link--their different program/firmware links on on the left module). Firmware downloads for downgrade to 3.0.1/3.0 can be found in the Downloads section here on MMi. If you don't want to stay on 3.1 (even though it's jailbreak-able) you can downgrade by downloading 3.0.1/3.0 ipsw from here, going to iTunes (I think 8.2 is best, not sure if 9 affects anything) and hitting shift(option for mac)+restore and select the ipsw you downloaded and go ahead and downgrade to your desired firmware. After that you can jailbreak with redsn0w (find it at dev-team's blog) and the unlock should be already done automatically by redsn0w for the 2G.

Yea, I tried the jailbreak of 3.1 on my 2G, and I didn't like it. For one thing, Installing the ActivateMMS2G only cause the phone to totally freeze, so I hag to restore. Tried it a couple times. I find that 3.01 works great, used Redsn0w and clicked the unlock and cydia, and I was set. Works great with my T-mobile sim card using T-Mobile_US.ipcc for the Carrier settings. And I even made a fancy AT&T one for ATT. ATT_US-Fancy.ipcc . I Like the logo's instead of plain text, plus they both enable SMS and Tethering on 3g or 3gs phones. Had to install PDAnet on the 2G. I'm hoping that someone will release the ActivateTethering2G app on Cydia

Oh wow me too..but i have a complete different reason...

my iPhone 3G completely bricked on me.. even when i try to turn it off.. and turn it back on.. All it did was cycle through the apple icon.. i gave it 30 mins to see if something was going on.. I was using Categorize from eitehr cydia/icy.. dont remeber..

so.. i was forced to "upgrade/restore" my iphone.. please anyone if you got any info help out on this post >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnguyen123 View Post
    Oh wow me too..but i have a complete different reason...

my iPhone 3G completely bricked on me.. even when i try to turn it off.. and turn it back on.. All it did was cycle through the apple icon.. i gave it 30 mins to see if something was going on.. I was using Categorize from eitehr cydia/icy.. dont remeber..

so.. i was forced to "upgrade/restore" my iphone.. please anyone if you got any info help out on this post >.<
    If you have the 3G, you should be able to use the Pawnage tool, select DMU mode, and then you should be able to put 3.01 on your phone. Then run redsn0w.

That is what I did with my 2G phone.

Now my 3Gs, I have 3.01 on it, and I hope and Pray that it will not need to be restored till it is fully unlocked and jailbroke. Especially before I go to Egypt. There is no way I am going to pas $2.50 per minute to AT&T, when prepaid sim will be much cheaper. The phone comes preloaded for both mobinil and Vodophone there for carrier settings. But I already took the mobinil profile, and set it to enable tethering. The other one already had it. Although I don't know if the prepaid sim there have anything cheap for internet. I am going to send the 2G there for my Babe to use. She had a POS Motorola candybar phone that only holds like 50 sms's on it. I am also going to give her strict instructions NOT to install any software updates from itunes on it. She has mobinil prepaid for her phone.