Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G restoring question

Question iPhone 3G restoring question
    Hey guys, i need to take my phone to the store for service, the volume button failed, tried everything and nothing at the end. I got iphone 3G unlocked and jailbroken on t-mo, what i did is run itunes then clicked on shift restore and navigated to the fw 3.0, the phone restored successfully, now if i remember correctly when the phone restores dont we see "emergency call only"? In my case after restore i inserted att sim and it went to the actual springboard but said "waiting for activation" Is this right? Is 3G allowing the use of the ipod features without activation?

Thanks
    iPhone 3G, 16GB, Jailbroken/Unlocked, T-Mo.

your iphone jumps to the springboard as soon as you pop in a valid sim card and connect it to itunes. then, after a minute or two it should give you a popup "iphone is activated" (though I have seen that this popups is not shown even though the phone is activated).

from that point on, you have an activated device, so pretty much a fully functional iphone :-) you can then go ahead and jailbreak it. if your phone doesn't have 3.1 pre-installed you can also unlock it to use other simcards.

But is it safe to take the phone to the apple store in that state or does the phone need to say "emergency calls only"? I need to take it in for service.
    Please let me know, thank you. The original AT&T sim is inside, I inserted the AT&T sim right before shift restore

Dfu mode restore and no restore from backup should erase everything then do a fresh firmware install. I don't see why not. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by orgy9111 View Post
    But is it safe to take the phone to the apple store in that state or does the phone need to say "emergency calls only"? I need to take it in for service.
    Please let me know, thank you. The original AT&T sim is inside, I inserted the AT&T sim right before shift restore
    as long as you just popped in the original sim card you can take it to the apple store in that state. important thing is you didn't JB it (run redsn0w on it) and you didn't restore to a custom firmware (created with pwnagetool). also, it's not a bad idea to NOT restore from backup, since the backup also contains some jailbreak data and I'm not 100% sure how much of that apple can read ... they have some pretty sneaky tools