Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Locked/JB 3G 2.2.1 to unlocked 3.0 FW or higher?

Question Locked/JB 3G 2.2.1 to unlocked 3.0 FW or higher?
    Hey guys, love the iPhone but i absolutely HATE upgrading it, it's always a pain in the rear and always so confusing. There always seems to be a million and one ways to go about it. My dilemma is that my phone is currently locked since i didn't upgrade properly from 2.1 to 2.2.1 and it locked my baseband. I'm jailbroken, on 2.2.1 and with baseband 2.30.03. I'm also pretty sure i have the later models of the iPhones that have a higher bootneuter than 5.9. So my issue is simple but very messy: i need to upgrade to one of the new 3.0 firmwares and want to keep my jailbreak but also have my phone be unlocked this time. How do i do this and is it possible at all to have it unlocked?
    Sorry for the mess and hope there's still some way to fix this!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Wow, you know you could've easily unlocked your phone with ultrasn0w right? With the 2.30 baseband, it's just a download away to unlock... if you want to upgrade to 3.0 you can simply download a custom 3.0 ipsw here in the downloads section of MMi and hit shift(option for mac)+restore, restore to 3.0 FW you downloaded, and have a safe upgrade (baseband preserved) then jailbreak with redsn0w. Then go to Cydia and add repo666.ultrasn0w.com and install ultrasn0w for unlock.

You can also test out the ultrasn0w unlock right now by going to Cydia and installing the above mentioned repo and ultrasn0w...
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-21 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for the reply! I'm posting this from my iphone, my mac is at the Apple store right now so i can't test anything at the moment. I wasn't aware the baseband 2.30.03 had been unlocked so i'll look it up. My only worry is how do i keep all my jailbreak apps/settings/files and bring them over to 3.0? Also, what's the current verdict, is 3.0 or 3.1 the one to go with? Which one fares better with battery usage? Thanks again for your time!

Edit: 2.30.03 can't be unlocked by ultrasn0w unless you update to 3.0 but doing that would keep the locked baseband. Only other way seems to be to downgrade to 2.2.
    Last edited by BobbyW; 2009-09-21 at 03:01 PM.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Any updates on this situation? (unlock tools)