Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about updating from 2.2.1 to 3.0.1

Default Question about updating from 2.2.1 to 3.0.1
    Hi all,

I'd like to update my iPhone 3G 2.2.1 (jailbroken) to the 3.0.1 firmware and jailbreak it. It seems pretty straightforward to jailbreak it but I'm worried about updating. If I use iTunes and use the shift + restore button, and choose the 3.0.1 firmware what will happen? Will it wipe out my phone and clear all personal data (camera roll, contacts, recent calls, settings) or will it just lock it again? I don't care if I loose Cydia and all Cydia apps I just want my personal data intact. I've read multiple updating / jailbreaking guides but none of them mention what will be reset if anything.

- Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Updating to a major firmware it will necessary to set the phone up as New and not syncing from a back-up.
    You will however be able to sync your phone in iTunes when jailbreak is complete to get all contacts, photos and music back. All 3rd party apps and data will be removed.

Thanks

Just to clarify blkcadi's post, you will still get your App Store apps back (they're 3rd party too silly ) but you will lose your Cydia apps.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

And that clears it up how? All 3rd party app data is removed whether it is from Cydia or the App Store.

Thanks

Data yes, apps no. You said apps AND data
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

So your saying that they are not removed? App Store apps can be re-synced to the iPhone/iPod but are indeed removed as well. All data and settings are gone.

Great guys, I updated successfully to the 3.0.1 firmware and was able to restore all my old data including settings, recent calls, contacts, camera roll, notes, etc from backup! And now I'm all jailbroken and ready to go.

Just one question. Is it possible for me to download Cydia apps from this site directly to computer so I can just install them manually without downloading them through Cydia again? I don't see a download link for example on the WinterBoard page when viewing through my computer.

Thanks

You can find a .deb then use the dpkg command to install them..
    But it would just be much easier to install through cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    You can find a .deb then use the dpkg command to install them..
    But it would just be much easier to install through cydia.
    Yes, I've done that before. I guess I'm just having trouble finding the correct link to download the .deb...