Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New 3gS owner...With some questions...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default New 3gS owner...With some questions...
    hey guys!
    i finally made the switch to att and i got my iphone 3gs coming in the mail...i just have some questions, if you could give me some aid i would greatly appreciate it..

1st thing i wanna do when i get my 3gs is to jailbrake it so here is where the questions start...

1. how to jail brake?
    2. what are some must have apps? from the app store and cydia
    3. when i had my 1st gen iphone couple of years back i remember there was a way to get apps from the app store for free i think the app was called Installisious...or some thing like that, is that still available?
    4. is things like cuztomize still floating around? (the app to change the background and icons etc)

i think thats it guys!

thank you in advance...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

1. As of now you can only jailbreak 3.0 with redsnow. 3.1 support soon
    2. SBSettings, winterboard, anything from the cydia store
    3. We do not allow warez to be discussed on MMi
    4. Winterboard works for theming

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Thanks

1. it will depend on what firmware it has if it has 3.0.1 just do a search on here for 3GS jailbreak, if it has 3.1 you may be out of luck bc i dont think there is a jailbreak for the 3GS running 3.1 firmware but you can do a search on downgrading a 3GS from 3.1 to 3.0.1 , then jailbreak it.

2. cydia must haves - sbsettings, openssh, grip, I personally prefer to use ireal sms as opposed to the stock messaging app. its hard to say what must haves from the app store are since there are so many apps, i think that will depend on what your looking for, I personally think awesome note is a must have bc i prefer it over the stock notes app.

3. no discussion of cracked apps on this forum.

4. yes winterboard and boss paper are available on cydia, and they will do what you want, although if you want to change icons you can always just ssh into your phone and change them that way.

Well, I can't add much to what these guys already said. On the apps I can though.

Cydia Apps
    Backgrounder. It allows you to exit an app and leave it running in the background

Insomnia. It allows apps to continue running even when the phone goes to sleep/locks.

dTunes. Yarg, matey! I hope you're ready to DL music movies and ects, because that's exactly what it'll do. But you need Torrentula also, but it's available from Cydia, fo free! I've seen 250Kbps+ speeds on my WiFi.

HACKED SOFTWARE CAN'T BE SPOKEN OF HERE! But you could just happen to Google Installo.us and about 25 how-to's will pop up. Super easy stuff.....

AppStore...
    App Box Pro. Pretty awesome. It's an app with 20 apps/tools inside of it. Flashligh, MANY unit conversions, 25 language translator, loan calculator, sale price calculator, like 5 games, and even a Google Books icon that gives you instant access to all of Google Books for free. Tons of stuff. Like $2.99.

AirHockey! Epic game. Feels like the real thing. Really addictive. $1.99 I think.

There's more, but dude.....there's like 70,000 apps in the AppStore alone. Idk how many Cydia has. What the guys above me said are awesome apps to that I have and use. OpenSSH is RAD. I couldn't live without SBSettings. You'll learn fast browsing here. Just watch out for trash! There are some malicious apps out there that will force a restore, so know what you're DLing, beforehand. Pretty easy to avoid though. Late....

some more cydia stuff:

1) if you are on last.fm, definetly get scrobbl which sends all your songs to last.fm (even if you don't have a constant internet connection)

2) cyntact from the cydia store is awesome!

3) sbsettings (of course)

Some Cydia apps I consider essential:

-iFile. Allows access to iPhone filesystem frm the device itself. Essential for use in collaboration with:

-Safari Download Manager. Allows you to download multiple files at once, even when you close safari. Then, use iFile to move the downloaded files where you want them, and view them (including videos)

-Quickscroll. I set up for use in Safari only, for browsing long web pages. It allows you to scroll quickly using the scroll bar, like a desktop browser.

-BiteSMS. The best alternative SMS client. Some will say iRealSMS is better, but just try Bite and see for yourself
    Last edited by carlbgc; 2009-09-20 at 03:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow thanks for the quick response guys!
    ill be looking for those apps when i get my phone. couple more questions.
    1. if my iphone comes with 3.1 can i downgrade to 3.0 to jailbreak it?
    2. if i jailbreak it does that void warranty?

kool thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by dadon4sho View Post
    wow thanks for the quick response guys!
    ill be looking for those apps when i get my phone. couple more questions.
    1. if my iphone comes with 3.1 can i downgrade to 3.0 to jailbreak it?
    2. if i jailbreak it does that void warranty?

kool thanks guys
    1. no you cannot, you have to wait for a 3.1 JB
    2. technically, yes. but since you can always restore before taking it to apple, they have no means of finding out ...