Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking and hardware

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Jailbreaking and hardware
    Heres a question. Im on my second 1st gen phone as the warranty is not up, I really dont wanna screw it up like my previous one. Does the jailbreaking process, the custom firmware, or cydia actually do anything to the hardware its self? Also is jailbreaking safe in terms of long term effects?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gregd View Post
    Heres a question. Im on my second 1st gen phone as the warranty is not up, I really dont wanna screw it up like my previous one. Does the jailbreaking process, the custom firmware, or cydia actually do anything to the hardware its self? Also is jailbreaking safe in terms of long term effects?
    Jailbreaking is perfectly safe. It makes no changes to any hardware. In fact, from what I've heard on numerous occasions, if you would ever have to send it to apple to get it fixed then all you have to do is restore if back to an official firmware. There would be no trace of it ever being jailbroken at that point. If I am wrong about any of this, someone please correct me so he has true and accurate information.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip84 For This Useful Post:

Gregd (2009-09-20)

Green Apple
    Thanks

No your right. After mine was screwed up (which I still dont know how it happened. Constant freezing.) I restored it even through itunes, and apple took it back, only after begging!

something you do via software can't really do anything to your hardware. there are viruses that destroy your hardware (for example by overheating them), but that's about it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Gregd (2009-09-20)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks guys. That makes sense considering the OS you use for a computer is not going to fry hardware.
    Also the .ipsw is a clone of the original...