Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring 3.0 3G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Restoring 3.0 3G
    Hi
    I am kind of new to the forums, and I have done some research yet haven't really found anything, so figured I might ask here. Sorry if there was a thread about this already, I must've failed at looking if there was.

Anywho, I have an iPhone 3G with the FW 3.0, and it's jailbroken, as well as unlocked through ultrasn0w.
    I want to restore my phone but I do not want to upgrade it. I heard that apple doesn't allow restores to 3.0 from 3.1, but mine is 3.0, though I am still confused as to how it works.
    I want to restore using a custom ISPW (which I have) for 3.0, so I can use ultrasn0w again.
    Any idea how I would do that? Once again, I do not want to upgrade, and not sure if iTunes would update my phone without my permission even if I shift clicked on restore and picked my custom ISPW.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

-Achy

Thanks

You can restore to 3.0
    Only 3G[S] can't restore to anything but 3.1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

Achy (2009-09-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So if I get the custom 3.0 ISPW, and shift click "restore" on iTunes, it'll restore my iPhone on 3.0, without updating anything (baseband and whatnot)?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Achy View Post
    So if I get the custom 3.0 ISPW, and shift click "restore" on iTunes, it'll restore my iPhone on 3.0, without updating anything (baseband and whatnot)?
    I believe that only upgrading to 3.1 would have an effect on your baseband changing. So in your case, restoring to 3.0 whether it be an official OR custom version would be safe for you.
    However, it might make a difference what version of iTunes you try to do the restore from. Not a difference on whether your baseband is updated but whether or not it will allow you to do any type of custom firmware restore. If you are on iTunes 9 then go a head and try it but if you get any errors...such as a 16xx error then you probably need to uninstall 9 and reinstall itunes 8.2. hope this info helps!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip84 For This Useful Post:

Achy (2009-09-21)

Restoring your custom 3.0 shouldn't be a problem but why not make a custom 3.1 ipsw?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Achy (2009-09-21)

so here are a few things (some of which are already said, but I sum it up):
    1. Only the 3GS can't restore, the 3G can restore to any firmware
    2. If you want 3.0, you can either create a custom firmware via PwnageTool, or just restore to an official 3.0 (make sure it's NOT the official 3.1 firmware!) and then use redsn0w and ultrasn0w to JB and unlock
    3. the new version of PwnageTool works for the 3G 3.1 FW as well, so you can also create a custom 3.1 and restore to that (again, make sure you restore to a CUSTOM 3.1). that's probably the best option if you have access to a mac, as it gives you the newest firmware

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Achy (2009-09-21)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Do not have access to a Mac, or else I would be at 3.1. And I still haven't updated iTunes, so it's 8.2, which should do it without a problem I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Achy View Post
    Do not have access to a Mac, or else I would be at 3.1. And I still haven't updated iTunes, so it's 8.2, which should do it without a problem I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    You CAN jailbreak to 3.1 without a mac. It can be done on windows. Just follow the tutorial on my thread located HERE