Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows

ok all...apparently the correct working FW is no longer available from TPB. i have uploaded it, bur since i cant post links, pm me and i will gladly share the link with those in need....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

doc_boda (2009-09-24), splinter818 (2009-09-23)

I can now confirm that the above link holds the right one and works great! big thanks to creasy for his help and also philip84 for giving us the instructions on how to get it to wrk! great job guys!!

Default it freezes on me for more than 1hr help pls
    [QUOTE=Phillip84;4957527]This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

[
    Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Hi phillip when my phone gets to this point, it says on the iphone "downloading Jaibreak software" and on the redsn0w scree is install upsmk somthing i dont quite remember the name, anywho, it stays stuck, and I know u say to give it a little while, I gave it 2hrs and it did not move. so i cancelled and re-did it again, this time it went all the way up to 99% and it stayed stuchk there again for anotehr hour or so, any idea why this might b happening? I'm doing everyting according to your instructions.

I have the Iphone 3G and the firmware it had prior to this was 3.1, I downgraded like u said to 3.0 and then try the jailbreak thing, but no luck.

thank u.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just want to post a quick message and tell creasy425 that I appreciate your help instructing all the users that have been running into problems the past few days. I had to take a break from the forums for a while. My evenings were loaded with replying to everyone's questions haha. I'm def not complaining cause I love to help people but I just needed a little break.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1
    Hi Philip Your post is just what I have been looking for but I am a novice and some of the terms baffel me, perhaps you can help. I have a 3G jailbroken phone with 2.2.1 firmware and want to upgrade to 3.?. Here are my questions--
    2. Where do I download the fiemware 3.1 to? My XP computer?
    3. Same for Redsnow
    4. What is 'Offecial 3.0 Firmware' compared to 3.1
    Need to know how to put phone in Recovery mode, what is DFU?
    Step5 How to put phone in DFU mode?
    Step7 Is the shift key the button at the bottom?
    Any comments on my being on 2.2.1 firmware as to the update?

Sorry for the questions but the jailbreaked phone is working fine and I do not want to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyace View Post
    Hi Philip Your post is just what I have been looking for but I am a novice and some of the terms baffel me, perhaps you can help. I have a 3G jailbroken phone with 2.2.1 firmware and want to upgrade to 3.?. Here are my questions--
    2. Where do I download the fiemware 3.1 to? My XP computer?
    3. Same for Redsnow
    4. What is 'Offecial 3.0 Firmware' compared to 3.1
    Need to know how to put phone in Recovery mode, what is DFU?
    Step5 How to put phone in DFU mode?
    Step7 Is the shift key the button at the bottom?
    Any comments on my being on 2.2.1 firmware as to the update?

Sorry for the questions but the jailbreaked phone is working fine and I do not want to mess it up.
    i know im not phil, but i can still help

i can provide you the link for the custom 3.1 FW

redsn0w is available for DL almost anywhere. just google it. the "o" in snow is actually the number zero

official 3.X FW is just FW that hasent been modified

too put phone in DFU mode plug it in, click on itunes, wait for phone to be recognized by itunes, without unplugging ut iphone turn it off, with it turned off and still plugged in hold down the power and home buttons at the same time for ten seconds, without letting go of the home button, let go of the power button, continue to hold down the home button until the iphone is recognized in itunes, you will get a message about ur device being in recovery mode, from here hold down shift while clicking restore and you can choose the FW you want.

Now as long as you havent yet upgraded to FW 3.1, you can skip the majority if these steps, upgrade up iphone to FW 3.0 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak. This tutorial was made by phil for those of us that upgraded to 3.1, cuzz the dev team has yet to release a tool that will work on windows...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

Flyace (2009-09-24), jsabater (2009-09-24)

could u do this over itunes 9.0?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy original firmware?
    Ok this is what you need to do:

install iTunes 8.2 (use the link I provide)
    restore to original apple 3.0 firmware (not 3.0.1 just 3.0 and nothing else)
    install I redsnow 0.8 (use the link I provided)
    jailbreak your 3.0 firmware with redsnow 0.8
    now use I tunes 8.2 to restore to the custom 3.1 firmware you found

You have to have your device jailbroken at The 3.0 level before it will let you restore to custom 3.1 firmware. Only iTunes 8.2 (8.2.x.x will not work only 8.2)

Also, if cydia wasn't installed then you need to find another copy of custom 3.1 firmware to use.

Find another 3.1 custom firmware. You used a bad one. No big deal. Happened my first try too. Just find another and start over.

How do I get an original firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by jsabater View Post
    How do I get an original firmware?
    do not follow this tutorial. its a stripped down version of the one you actually need. look on the first page of this thread for the correct tutorial. the origional FW is available almost anywhere. just google it. I hav a link to the custom FW that does 100% work, pm me for the link

Quote Originally Posted by beaner4sho View Post
    no you have to downgrade to itunes 8.2.X
    Last edited by creasy425; 2009-09-24 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by beaner4sho View Post
    I did mine with iTunes 9 and it worked fine. No errors or anything!!!!!
    flat black, all floss, no gloss

Green Apple
    Thanks

Although I'm the one who started this thread about jb'ing 3.1...I haven't even noticed if the dev team has released a tool to do it in windows yet. Anyone heard anything? I guess I'll check their blog.

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I did mine with iTunes 9 and it worked fine. No errors or anything!!!!!
    sweet. I however, had no luck in itunes 9 haha. I'm glad it worked for ya though!
    Last edited by Phillip84; 2009-09-24 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

No they haven't.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Default Upgrading jailbroken, but not unlocked 3gs
    More general question: if I upgrade the firmware, via iTunes, of a phone that does not require unlocking, but was jailbroken, will I keep all the settings of Cydia apps (winterboard etc.), or do I need to back them up and reinstall?

I have recently bought a 3GS/32. For long time I have also had a locked 2G and for the 2G upgrading was always equal to full re-install of everything. This time I have a phone that does not require unlocking, can be upgraded via iTunes, and am completely puzzled on how to manage a 'legal' phone .
    Last edited by PS3012; 2009-09-24 at 09:59 AM.

Hi guys,

The instructions worked well, i used the "WO_ACT" ipsw. I am able to get carrier signal + Cydia + Icy in v3.1.

But as i use the Cydia to update and install packages, i get this error "couldn't configure pre-depend dpkg for grep".

I googled a little and it seems like Icy and Cydia are conflicting. I need to uninstall Icy or find a custom firmware without Icy installed.

Right now i'm trying to reinstall the custom firmware that i have, and just install OpenSSH before updating Cydia, and use the ssh commands to remove Icy. Hope it works.

Anybody knows how to uninstall Icy????

Default Stuck in recovery mode
    When I reboot the 3g iphone the pineapple comes up but it is just stuck in recovery mode. I tried IRecovery.exe but it did not recognize a iphone attached.

Any thoughts

if I uninstall itunes 9, will I lose my music library?

Quote Originally Posted by Aceswild View Post
    When I reboot the 3g iphone the pineapple comes up but it is just stuck in recovery mode. I tried IRecovery.exe but it did not recognize a iphone attached.

Any thoughts
    the same thing happened to me.
    first i have installed official firmware 3.0 and then i used the tool and after it the custom firmware 3.1 and after rebooting my phone doesnt boot. i see a music cd and an iphone cable.
    any solution gyus? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mojays32 View Post
    if I uninstall itunes 9, will I lose my music library?
    i think yes. but the music will be still on your iphone.
    Last edited by HermiCompi; 2009-09-24 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is it worth upgrading now or will there be another fw update tomorrow 9/25 for MMS?

Quote Originally Posted by HermiCompi View Post
    the same thing happened to me.
    first i have installed official firmware 3.0 and then i used the tool and after it the custom firmware 3.1 and after rebooting my phone doesnt boot. i see a music cd and an iphone cable.
    any solution gyus? thanks

i think yes. but the music will be still on your iphone.
    got the solution guys. thanks to iszene forum.

first delete those two files from your itunes music folder:
    iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Music Library.xml
    and then remove itunes 8.2 and install 9.0. after that connect your iphone. it will activate your phone

This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1

I ****** love u man! i updated from my previous jailbroken fone when it was 3.0.1 and it messed everything up but i followed ur instructions and everything turned out great! thank u!

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast