Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 476

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows

  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by GCMaDe View Post
    ( i used : iPhone 3G official apple 3.1 Software)

    Hay there :

    First of all : I'm from Germany but
    I will give my best to write as good as i can.

    THX alot for posting and making this tutorial.*hug*

    But I have a huge problem in understanding :

    so, I followed your tutorial 2 times with 2 different 3.1 Custom Firmwares which I found on the web with the result that both times
    i cannot write sms and call people because there is no "network".

    Summed up : the same error that many people have and you say :
    just try another Custom Firmware its no big deal.

    So with that problem I went to a german "iphone-hacking-board"
    and asked :
    " what did i wrong... why is the iPhone not finding my mobile network "
    They replied : "It was a huge failure to update to the REAL APPLE NOT CUSTOM 3.1 Firmware because this updated the "baseband" ( dunno what this exactly is )and now i cannot use my iPhone with anoter network then T-Mobile."

    Why they dont say anything like " check another Custom FW " like u did.
    What did you know what " the people in Germy " dont know.

    ( In germany the iPhones only work with this Network )

    Am i right, that your Tutorial deals with a REAL 3.1 updated iPhone via Applefirmware ?



    Can you maybe link me to an Custom Firmware that you used ? Via Private Mail e.g. ?
    first question...did you buy ur iphone from apple unlocked, or did you use a tool like ultrasn0w?

    If you purchased ur phone from apple unlocked, and I mean from apple, not off google or something, then you just havent used the correct FW.

    If you used a tool to unlock, ur up a creek until someone releases a new tool...If its just the FW, the correct one can be dl'd from TPB. find the custom FW with WO_ACT in the title and ur set. Other wise, patience is the only answer (and its not a very good one) sorry

  2. #142
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 83 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    pretty much true. I find the tutorial posted above really dangerous as it doesn't make clear that this is only for users who DO NOT NEED TO UNLOCK THEIR IPHONE (besides the fact that posting a complete post with caps lock on is just offensive ... but whatever).

    @GCMaDe: I'm from germany as well, but I'm afraid that you can only use your phone with t-mobile germany simcards from now on (and possibly forever). you should NEVER EVER upgrade iphones to official firmwares unless it's clearly stated that it's safe (if you depend on an unlock). but admittingly, that won't help you now ... sorry.
    One thing in my defense regarding my tutorial...
    I never used the term "unlock" because I figured that anyone who decided to use it would know the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking. I do however admit, now that this users situation has occured, that I need to edit the tutorial with a warning not to use this method for those who need to keep the option open to unlock. I thank you for your input and clarifying things for he and I.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    One thing in my defense regarding my tutorial...
    I never used the term "unlock" because I figured that anyone who decided to use it would know the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking. I do however admit, now that this users situation has occured, that I need to edit the tutorial with a warning not to use this method for those who need to keep the option open to unlock. I thank you for your input and clarifying things for he and I.
    Im pretty sure that his comments werent directed at you phill. some tool put a short all caps tutorial at the top of this page. Second, if people dont know the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking, they SHOULD NOT be attempting either...just my .02$

  4. #144
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 83 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    Im pretty sure that his comments werent directed at you phill. some tool put a short all caps tutorial at the top of this page. Second, if people dont know the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking, they SHOULD NOT be attempting either...just my .02$
    ooh ok. yea i know what post your referring to now. The short version of the process leaving out some of the details.

    And you are exactly right... You would think that if they unlocked it themselves (with software) then they would already know the prerequisites and the process of unlocking. Unlockers have to be very careful when they want to jailbreak. They may really want to jailbreak to a new firmware but unless they are keeping up with new unlocking tools and news then they can really get themselves in a rut. I just hope for this persons sake that it's just the particular 3.1 cfw's they've tried. I really would hate for someone to have screwed up their phone because of this tutorial. Just tryin to help everyone out ya know?...lol
    Last edited by Phillip84; 2009-09-22 at 02:11 AM.

  5. #145
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    GermanY
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    To my knowledge, if your carrier does not support the iphone and you decide to jailbreak it without a tool released to unlock the baseband, then your phone will no longer work on your current carrier.
    Exactly but i would say its contrary : Not The Carrier didnt support the Phone... its the phone what is locked against my carrier. It would work if i havent this damn wrong baseband now..

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    Now, if your carrier supports the iphone, you really don't HAVE TO unlock it and upgrading to a higher baseband would not have mattered because the baseband has nothing to do with jailbreaking.
    So...if the iphone is supported by your carrier then the fact that you have no service still means you just need to try a better copy of the 3.1 custom firmware.
    Ok... now I understand better now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    If the iphone is NOT supported by your carrier and you did not unlock it first then you may have rendered your phone unusable until a baseband downgrade tool has been release.
    Things that happend now

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    Like I said, I need someone to verify this information I have given you. The unlocking process is something I have never had to do. My knowledge is strictly coming from things I've read. Please let me know if this makes any sense to you. I will continue to try and answer any further question you may have. Dont hesitate to ask me!
    I guess your Tutorial was very good, because ii was the only one which leed ne to the menü and let me use the phone. But it is ONLY for people with a unlocked Phone or Users of official supported Carriers. Maybe u add this line somewhere for userer with not much knowledge about all the stuff about the phone.


    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    pretty much true. I find the tutorial posted above really dangerous as it doesn't make clear that this is only for users who DO NOT NEED TO UNLOCK THEIR IPHONE (besides the fact that posting a complete post with caps lock on is just offensive ... but whatever).
    Maybe one line in fat letters and red colour at the start of the Tutorial...as i said

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    @GCMaDe: I'm from germany as well, but I'm afraid that you can only use your phone with t-mobile germany simcards from now on (and possibly forever). you should NEVER EVER upgrade iphones to official firmwares unless it's clearly stated that it's safe (if you depend on an unlock). but admittingly, that won't help you now ... sorry.
    ( Sei gegrüßt :P )
    NOW i know ... 400€ via ebay are gone and for some weeks im finished with the Phone. Cannot here the word anymore I will sell it and try to get the littlest loss of money. But as we say in german " Lehrgeld " dunno what this is in ea oder be
    Now I know things better and the next time it hopefully works better.


    Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    first question...did you buy ur iphone from apple unlocked, or did you use a tool like ultrasn0w?

    If you purchased ur phone from apple unlocked, and I mean from apple, not off google or something, then you just havent used the correct FW.

    If you used a tool to unlock, ur up a creek until someone releases a new tool...If its just the FW, the correct one can be dl'd from TPB. find the custom FW with WO_ACT in the title and ur set. Other wise, patience is the only answer (and its not a very good one) sorry
    No i started like this when the postman gave me my package yesterday morning :

    * Tiped in @ google : Iphone unlock.... ZOOOOM a lot of sites with " 3.1 finally hacked " etc.

    * called 2 friends of mine ( or should i say former friends )
    which both are into iPhone 3G and have one on their own
    and they say EVERY Version you can unlock except 3GS

    * then i started to update the phone to apples 3.1 via Recovery Mode

    and then i found modmyi and this tutorial which gave me a little shine of hope


    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    And you are exactly right... You would think that if they unlocked it themselves (with software) then they would already know the prerequisites and the process of unlocking. Unlockers have to be very careful when they want to jailbreak. They may really want to jailbreak to a new firmware but unless they are keeping up with new unlocking tools and news then they can really get themselves in a rut. I just hope for this persons sake that it's just the particular 3.1 cfw's they've tried. I really would hate for someone to have screwed up their phone because of this tutorial. Just tryin to help everyone out ya know?...lol
    In my case i can say :its not your fault or the tutorials fautl because i was on official 3.1 before i found the tut.


    So : **** happens and i will sell it. I cannot live with a 400€ adget in the drawer and wait for something to happen. 10 hours i spend on the phone, until understanding that 3.1 jailbreak doesnt mean that official 3.1 locked phones will work for other carrier.


    Thx alot for your help and replie !

    mfG Nils
    Last edited by GCMaDe; 2009-09-22 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #146
    Default Thanks
    Thankyou for this it is a great writeup with clear-cut instructions. I was just wondering whether or not you can unlock it so that it is able to pick up the 'telstra' network, an Australian phone company. Should I be able to pick it up or is there a way to unlock the phone? Thanks again

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

    **WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

    Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

    *If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

    **If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.


    Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

    Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

    Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

    Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

    Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

    Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

    Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

    Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

    Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

    Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

    Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

    Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

    Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

    Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

    Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

    I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

    Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

    If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

    I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1
    This worked for me thanks!

    .:: P2P Worlds Tracker - Ultimate Speeds And Friendly Community ::. - Index
    SeedBox Sales

  8. #148
    I tried doing this 3 times with different 3.1 firmwares and I can't get service!! WTF??
    flat black, all floss, no gloss

  9. #149
    If you want all the latest official Apple firmwares go to
    iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

    Custom firmwares are freely available torrent stylee

    I'm in the UK. It all went to plan apart from no signal and no carrier.
    anyone know of a custom firmware for O2UK?
    Last edited by infusion2k7; 2009-09-22 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #150
    if I uninstall itunes, will I lose my music library?

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I tried doing this 3 times with different 3.1 firmwares and I can't get service!! WTF??
    Again...get the custom FW off of the pirate bay. DL the one with WO_ACT in the title. That FW has worked for me and multiple others in this forum...

    Quote Originally Posted by infusion2k7 View Post
    If you want all the latest official Apple firmwares go to
    iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

    Custom firmwares are freely available torrent stylee

    I'm in the UK. It all went to plan apart from no signal and no carrier.
    anyone know of a custom firmware for O2UK?
    Same thing. TPB has whatcha need
    Last edited by creasy425; 2009-09-23 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

    bayan nabil (2009-10-04), kona (2009-09-23)

  13. #152
    creasy425 thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That was exactly the file I needed!!!! Thank you very much!!!

    And for the record I went from jailbroken 3.0 to custom 3.1 with iTunes 9 and I got no errors.
    flat black, all floss, no gloss

  14. #153
    Default ??
    can i use itunes 9 after dis jailbreak??

  15. #154
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    ^yup.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  16. #155
    evethin when fine... I can't get service!! WTF??
    help plzz

  17. #156
    everything worked perfectly. but i've lost all my contacts!!!! working on that though!!

  18. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilazul82 View Post
    evethin when fine... I can't get service!! WTF??
    help plzz
    look at the first post on this page....the pirate bay, the FW you need is right there...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

    splinter818 (2009-09-23)

  20. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    Again...get the custom FW off of the pirate bay. DL the one with WO_ACT in the title. That FW has worked for me and multiple others in this forum...


    Same thing. TPB has whatcha need

    I cant find this file, can someone help? ive tried twice with no signal
    Last edited by splinter818; 2009-09-23 at 05:34 PM.

  21. #159
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Unlocking Iphone 3g
    the red sn0w is stuck at uploading kernel for the longest while dunno what to do from there!

    i'm running this thing as shown in all the steps and it is stuck on Uploading Kernel and the screen is saying downloading Jail Break Data what do i do from there?
    Last edited by RickyJ; 2009-09-23 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. #160
    i have find the file finaly, im not sure what ur problem is but i do know when it was uploading kernals it took forever,

    ok i have tried this file and i still dont have a signal so im going give up and wait
    Last edited by splinter818; 2009-09-23 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •