Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows

i got everything working properly but i lost my carrier logo WTF??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juantwothree80 View Post
    i got everything working properly but i lost my carrier logo WTF??
    This is off of the dev-team blog:

Update 2: Unlocked users on the 3G will probably notice that the name and/or logo of their carrier is missing, but they still have full bars and a signal. So far this seems to be purely a cosmetic issue and it doesn’t impact your signal or coverage. We hope to have this issue “fixed” when we release the 3GS compatible version of PwnageTool. This is very likely tied to Update #3…

does that seem to be what you are experiencing?

yes phillip seems to be what i am experiencing...am i the only person or is this widespread?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juantwothree80 View Post
    yes phillip seems to be what i am experiencing...am i the only person or is this widespread?
    It isn't a problem that I am having but yes, I have read lots of posts with other users having the same problem. Is it something you can live with for a while until there is a fix for it? Does everything else work fine?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can i downgrade a OFW 3.1 iphone 3g so i can jailbreak it? i might pick one up from someone today.

ok i finally got it to work...NOW Cyida wont work because icy was automatically installed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fobmatik View Post
    can i downgrade a OFW 3.1 iphone 3g so i can jailbreak it? i might pick one up from someone today.
    Unless you have a mac...no. The reason for this is that there is currently no windows tool that will turn an official 3.1 into a custom 3.1 file.

Quote Originally Posted by albertlovato View Post
    ok i finally got it to work...NOW Cyida wont work because icy was automatically installed!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wouldn't think that would be a reason for cydia not working. But if that is the case...is there a way to uninstall icy? I don't use it so I don't know the answer.
    Last edited by Phillip84; 2009-09-20 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    Unless you have a mac...no. The reason for this is that there is currently no windows tool that will turn an official 3.1 into a custom 3.1 file.
    my friend has mac. he does all his jailbreaking on it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fobmatik View Post
    my friend has mac. he does all his jailbreaking on it.
    I just re-read your question and realized I may not have understood it. If you get the official apple 3.1 on your phone then yes you can still jailbreak it. But the process is longer if you start from that point (if you do it on a windows machine). The main goal to successfully jailbreak to 3.1 on windows is starting from a phone that is at a 3.0 jailbroken level. iTunes 8.2 has to be used. You can't do any of it from the new iTunes 9.

Quote Originally Posted by albertlovato View Post
    i was having the same problem. a restart on my ipone didnt work. i think you have to launch cydia a couple of times for it to get used to the 3.1 FW.... and dont bothert with icy, its notoriously buggy

I've just restored my phone to official firmware 3.1 and it won't even activate when I put my SIM card in...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
    I've just restored my phone to official firmware 3.1 and it won't even activate when I put my SIM card in...
    what led up to you putting official 3.1 on your phone? Are you trying to jailbreak it...? Update me on what you are trying to accomplish.

what led up to you putting official 3.1 on your phone? Are you trying to jailbreak it...? Update me on what you are trying to accomplish.
    My phone got jailbroken at 3.1 but it had no signal. I've done all steps correctly (esp using 8.2.1.6) and it's still a no so. So I decided to do a normal restore using itunes (b/c i need my phone) and i can't get passed the activation page.

Edit: Oh and yes I don't mind upgrading the baseband b/c I don't plan on unlocking it.
    Last edited by Deviatorz; 2009-09-20 at 09:32 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My phone got jailbroken at 3.1 but it had no signal. I've done all steps correctly (esp using 8.2.1.6) and it's still a no so. So I decided to do a normal restore using itunes (b/c i need my phone) and i can't get passed the activation page.

Edit: Oh and yes I don't mind upgrading the baseband b/c I don't plan on unlocking it.
    check your inbox

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this tutorial - it worked for me first time no problem, I am sure I speak for loads of others when I say how much I appreciate you sharing this

G.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grahame View Post
    Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this tutorial - it worked for me first time no problem, I am sure I speak for loads of others when I say how much I appreciate you sharing this

G.
    Sweet! your lucky, cause it took me 3 times and roughly 13 hours to figure it out haha. On my last attempt, I was like..."dang it, I'm writing these steps down in a tutorial" lol.

Gald you were successful!

Thumbs up A suggested final few steps...
    Where I started...
    ---------------------------------
    Windows 7 Professional 32-bit - unactivated trial version
    iPhone 3G 3.1 official Apple firmware
    iTunes 9 official Apple software
    Supplied iPhone USB cable plugged in front non-2.0 port of desktop
    AT&T Service Plan located in the South Eastern USA

Did as instructed to the letter and lucked out with working, stable copy of the iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw on my first try (Hint: The dude behind AramisTech.com Techtips, Software Reviews and More: About has his own walkthrough on jailbreaking 3.1 using windows and has one particularly hard to find file available that was painless to download - Just don't follow the walkthrough over there because it won't work).

As a precautionary measure, I made sure I ran iTunes 8.2 in Compatability Mode with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and also as an Administrator when following the restoration steps.

My only suggestion is that a final step be added to your list: After my 3.1 Custom firmware file was restored (still using iTunes 8.2), iTunes recognized an iPhone but only offered the option to eject it. Illuminated on my iPhone screen was again the iTunes icon with the upward arrow and USB cable symbol immediately beneath... I had to eject the iPhone in iTunes, hold down the iPhone power button and flipped the slider to power the phone off... gave it a sec to do its thing, turned it back on and plugged it back up with the USB - it was only then did my phone light up and say, iPhone successfully activated with service icons, stock apps and the Cydia app working as well...

Here's the question though....

I downloaded iTunes 9, hooked everything back up again, and now was given the option to treat the iPhone as a new phone, or restore my last back-up I made before I jailbroke it... I assume I could perform the restore, but in all honesty, I can't quite recall what the full scope of what is included in the restore file. This shouldn't interfere with the new jailborken status of the phone will it?

Lastly, real quick - I have to give props to the initial author of this walkthrough and all those contributing in the comments. This is by far the most concise and accurate post I've found (and I've been searching for several days now) explaining how Windows users running the iPhone 3.1 firmware can successfully perform the jailbreak. Thanks all around! Ya'll are awesome!

-Ryan

check your inbox
    Thanks for the thing but I've been making my own since I have a Mac as well. Ok so I've gotten it to work but there's only one thing, after activation and what not it asks me whether I want to make a new profile or restore a profile I've backed up from last sync and I choose the backup option since I want to keep my text msgs and contacts and everything but after it restores it, my iphone goes into safe mode and there's no way of getting out (even if i restart). do i have to set up as a new phone and make a new profile or is there something im doing wrong? thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optforonemore View Post
    Where I started...
    Windows 7 Professional 32-bit - unactivated trial version
    iPhone 3G 3.1 official Apple firmware
    iTunes 9 official Apple software
    Supplied iPhone USB cable plugged in front non-2.0 port of desktop
    AT&T Service Plan located in the South Eastern USA

Did as instructed to the letter and lucked out with working, stable copy of the iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw on my first try (Hint: The dude behind AramisTech.com Techtips, Software Reviews and More: About has his own walkthrough on jailbreaking 3.1 using windows and has one particularly hard to find file available that was painless to download - Just don't follow the walkthrough over there because it won't work).

As a precautionary measure, I made sure I ran iTunes 8.2 in Compatability Mode with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and also as an Administrator when following the restoration steps.

My only suggestion is that a final step be added to your list: After my 3.1 Custom firmware file was restored (still using iTunes 8.2), iTunes recognized an iPhone but only offered the option to eject it. Illuminated on my iPhone screen was again the iTunes icon with the upward arrow and USB cable symbol immediately beneath... I had to eject the iPhone in iTunes, hold down the iPhone power button and flipped the slider to power the phone off... gave it a sec to do its thing, turned it back on and plugged it back up with the USB - it was only then did my phone light up and say, iPhone successfully activated with service icons, stock apps and the Cydia app working as well...

Here's the question though....

I downloaded iTunes 9, hooked everything back up again, and now was given the option to treat the iPhone as a new phone, or restore my last back-up I made before I jailbroke it... I assume I could perform the restore, but in all honesty, I can't quite recall what the full scope of what is included in the restore file. This shouldn't interfere with the new jailborken status of the phone will it?

Lastly, real quick - I have to give props to the initial author of this walkthrough and all those contributing in the comments. This is by far the most concise and accurate post I've found (and I've been searching for several days now) explaining how Windows users running the iPhone 3.1 firmware can successfully perform the jailbreak. Thanks all around! Ya'll are awesome!

-Ryan
    Hey thanks so much for you post! I hope you haven't done this yet but you asked about the "restore from backup". From what I have read...if you select that option then you can end up running into some serious issues later on. What those issues are, are beyond me. But I have never tried that since seeing that warning around the forums. After a jailbreak you are always supposed to chose the "new iphone" option (whatever it's called).

Thanks for the thing but I've been making my own since I have a Mac as well. Ok so I've gotten it to work but there's only one thing, after activation and what not it asks me whether I want to make a new profile or restore a profile I've backed up from last sync and I choose the backup option since I want to keep my text msgs and contacts and everything but after it restores it, my iphone goes into safe mode and there's no way of getting out (even if i restart). do i have to set up as a new phone and make a new profile or is there something im doing wrong? thanks
    Yea, you gotta go with the "new phone" option. From what I've read around these forums, if you restore a backup after you jailbreak then you will run into problems. I guess the safe mode thing is what they are talking about. I'm not sure where this leaves you since I have never had this problem before. You may have to redo the whole process though. Maybe someone else can confirm that...?
    Last edited by Phillip84; 2009-09-20 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Actually I decided to open cydia to check for updates (and boy were there many) and so i updated them all. afterwards i had to respring and viola, im no longer in safe mode. i guess that when the phone started up, it was using older, incompatible versions of cydia apps like bossprefs or w/e and it crashed since its on new firmware 3.1. im going to tinker around a bit more to see if its good for sure so don't get ur hopes up. thanks

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast