Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLONUF View Post
    I've read through multiple pages of this thread but I really don't want to read all 30. I need my phone to be unlocked because I have t-mobile so I should not upgrade to 3.1 yet because although it has been jb'd it still hasn't been unlocked yet. correct???
    geo hots unlock is available. go ahead and upgrade to 3.1.2. then add blackrain to ur cydia repo and you can unlock...
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLONUF View Post
    I've read through multiple pages of this thread but I really don't want to read all 30. I need my phone to be unlocked because I have t-mobile so I should not upgrade to 3.1 yet because although it has been jb'd it still hasn't been unlocked yet. correct???
    If you use a custom ipsw created with pwnage you can upgrade to 3.12 preserving your BB and so continue to use UltraSn0w.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

i would greatly appreciate it if you could help me with the latest diabolical issue i have been having.see i jailbroke my iphone with blackrain and as soon as i download my cydia apps it wont sync with itunes anymore i have never seen such a problem, it just gives an error every attempt to sync with itunes i cant add songs or do anything with it anymore i have restored and reattempted the process several times but i keep running into the same problem. Ps i have the old version of itunes (8.2 i recall)itunes sync works with an ipod so im sure the issue is within the iphone

Default Helpful:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1
    Hi,

Its an appreciating work what you have done.

You have described it step by step so that any one can easily use it.

It will be very helpful.

Thanks
    No signature spam... only warning

I have Windows 7 64 bit version, and an 3g with 3.1 on it. It has been impossible to get past this message. I have unintalled itunes 8.2 and reinstalled lower versions but Windows 7 doesn't even recognize that it's on the machine. The phone in DMU mode or any mode is not recognized on itunes. ** So if you too get this message you are not alone** I could not find a solution. If you do, please share. Sure I was looking for the tether, but not essential. I have used pawnage many times before with this phone and Windows XP. They were always stable for many many months, of course each time I would completely erase the phone and start from scratch. Any other Windows 7 experiences? -Kind Regards

Have you actually installed the 64Bit version of iTunes rather than the 32Bit version?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Hi All.

I searched all over and couldn't find the answer. I had a 16GB 3GS with 3.1.2, 5.11.07 modem firmware and latest iboot (tethered jailbreak). I sold the iphone after a restore to stock 3.1.2 on ebay to a guy a month ago. Now he opened a conflict with paypal - he can't jb/unlock. I'm trying to help him out.

He's outside the country and I didn't give him my AT&T sim card. My questions:

1) Do you need an AT&T sim card to jb/unlock an AT&T phone?
    2) Do you have to be on AT&T's network?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I had successfully used blackra1n/blacksn0w previously to get a tethered jailbreak/unlock and i'm aware of the 3.1.3 apple firmware, if that's what you're thinking. :-)
    Last edited by dlhuss; 2010-02-06 at 12:42 PM.

Did you sell it to him as unlocked? I would think he hasn't got a chance of winning. If he upgraded to 3.13 it's his fault.

Unless you specifically stated that he could unlock then I wouldn't worry.

I would never sell a phone to someone in another country there are far to many cons going on, especially from Africa.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

dlhuss (2010-02-06)

I sold it as locked but said it could be easily unlocked with blackra1n and that I had used it shortly with jb/unlock. I also said I take no responsibility for the jb/unlock and offer no guarantee or return.

That said, I'd like to help him out and keep my rep intact on eBay and close out the Paypal incident.

Any suggestions on what to try regarding a different SIM on a different carrier?

(I'm actually in Germany and sold it to a German guy, so the foreign aspect isn't an issue for me. There are scammers everywhere, but I think he's just upset because the jailbreak wasn't working for him).
    Last edited by dlhuss; 2010-02-06 at 01:58 PM.

If he is still on 3.12 he can just run BlackRa1n followed by Blacksn0w. If he's upgraded to 3.13 he is SOL.

Good write up and great details, but why not just use iTunes8.2 and restore to jb 3.1.2 firmware and not go down to 3.0 then back to 3.1.2. If iTunes 8.2 let's you restore to any firmware, just go directly to what you want ( 3.1.2) Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by andyharp View Post
    Good write up and great details, but why not just use iTunes8.2 and restore to jb 3.1.2 firmware and not go down to 3.0 then back to 3.1.2. If iTunes 8.2 let's you restore to any firmware, just go directly to what you want ( 3.1.2) Am I missing something?
    Yes. iTunes isn't the one that prevents downgrading; Apple checks your devices ID and doesn't let you downgrade unless you have your ID stored on Cydia. (only for 3G S)

I recently went through the drama of upgrading to 3.1.3 and found a way to get back down to 3.1.2 and blackra1n worked. I had phone service as well as network connection. I then installed cydia and rock and now I have no phone service. Should I have not installed those 2 apps?

Hi

I had read pretty much everything & my head is spinnning.

I have a 16GB 3GS with 3.1.2, 5.11.07 base.

I would like to jailbreak my iphone and just want to know do I just follow the instructions on page one or as it is a new phone is there a different/new procedure available?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance offered.

Kevo

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Will this be an untethered jb for 3gs mc model?

Thanks!

RedSn0w 0.92 Jailbreaks the 3GS (and all other models) on FW3.12 (still a tethered-only JB for late-model devices though)
    See redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]

Default Thanks:
    Hi,

very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    No signature spam... only warning

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default quick question
    So I'm running a jailbroken 3gs on 3.0 right now using the latest Itunes with vista. I'd like to get to 3.2 so I can have some of the newer apps. Itunes wont let me use the 3.2 I DL'd because "it's not authorized for that build" My question is this. Can I upgrade to 3.2 using itunes 8.2 and just run blackrain or redsnow to JB? What's ,my best bet?

PS. This forum has been VERY helpful to me for quite some time. It's helped me show others how to enjoy their Iphones as well !!

I assume you mean 3.12 as 3.2 hasn't been released and 3.13 is the latest.

Do you have your SHSH on file with cydia?

You can restore to a custom 3.12 created with pwnage if you want to use UltraSn0w to unlock or, if cydia has your files you can restore to standard 3.12 following the instructions at Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) if you don't want to unlock.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah I meant 3.1.2. My shsh is on file with cydia. I just tried to shift click restore to 3.1.2 with itunes 8.2 and it told me my phone wasn't eligible for that build.

I tried the caching apple's server thing and I still get the "not eligible for this build" message. Help !!

3gs currently jb'd on 3.0.1 MC model with 04.26.08 modem firmware. I have shsh's on file with cydia for 3.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.3

What do I need to do to get up to 3.1.2? I've tried Itunes 8.2 and I did the caching apple's server thing and I keep getting the not "authorized for this build" message when I shift click restore to a 3.1.2 ipsw.
    Last edited by ianblondeau; 2010-03-11 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast