Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows

Ive tried this twice and it doesnt work.

I have a 3G and 2.2.1 firmware with iTunes 9.0 and am jailbroken with Cidia installed and just want to update to 3.0

If I uninstal iTunes 9.0 and re-install iTunes 8.2 will I lose my apps?
    It seems I should use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15 of Phills steps. Correct?
    What is Icy? Do I need this, I want Cidia.
    If I upgrade the firmware do I need to jailbreak again with redsn0w?

Hopefully someone can help with these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dallaspowers View Post
    Ive tried this twice and it doesnt work.
    check ur inbox...

i got all the way through it it all worked until i go to put the custom firmware in the only 3.1 firmware ive been able to find is torrent files and i dont know how to get them to work with itunes.. any suggestions? sorry im new at this!!! X.x

[quote=creasy425;4967263]Yeah, it was pulled from TPB, check ur inbox....

for the vast majority of us in this thread. itunes 9.x kicks out error 1600-1605 when trying to restore with custom FW. itunes 8.2.x doesnt...

Quote Originally Posted by rosita055 View Post

are you using redsn0w 0.7 or .08? i first tried it with redsn0w 0.7 and had the same thing happen, it would freeze up on "uploading ramdisc", but thanks to phill, i Dl'd redsn0w 0.8 and it worked just fine. it takes about 10-15 minutes for it to install all of the JB files but it will work. redsn0w 0.8 is available for DL in the downloads tab....hope this helps and please report back with any more issues

i have .08 but i'm thinkin now maybe is the custom firmware I have. I noticed that hte firmware I was using for the iphone 3G was 2_3.0_7A341 and i think that firmware is for iphone 3GS, so i'm donwloading now the firmware 1,2_3.0...Could this have been the cuase of my problem?

I was reading through this and figured I'd check the out thepiratebay which is where I got my firmware from. The firmware with WO_ACT is still there!!!! I don't know why people are saying it was pulled. It took me 2 minutes to go to the site and search, click and it downloaded in my Vuze.

I don't know if I'm allowed to type this but what I did was type in the search box: iphone 3.1 custom firmware and it was the first selection. Easy as that.
    flat black, all floss, no gloss

[quote=rosita055;4967843]
    Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    Yeah, it was pulled from TPB, check ur inbox....

for the vast majority of us in this thread. itunes 9.x kicks out error 1600-1605 when trying to restore with custom FW. itunes 8.2.x doesnt...

i have .08 but i'm thinkin now maybe is the custom firmware I have. I noticed that hte firmware I was using for the iphone 3G was 2_3.0_7A341 and i think that firmware is for iphone 3GS, so i'm donwloading now the firmware 1,2_3.0...Could this have been the cuase of my problem?
    that absolutely could have been the cause of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I was reading through this and figured I'd check the out thepiratebay which is where I got my firmware from. The firmware with WO_ACT is still there!!!! I don't know why people are saying it was pulled. It took me 2 minutes to go to the site and search, click and it downloaded in my Vuze.

I don't know if I'm allowed to type this but what I did was type in the search box: iphone 3.1 custom firmware and it was the first selection. Easy as that.
    the mans right. thats crazy cuzz i tried to find it for a couple of hours 2 days ago, and couldnt for the life of me....but typing in what you said brought it up right away...

Quote Originally Posted by britb889 View Post
    i got all the way through it it all worked until i go to put the custom firmware in the only 3.1 firmware ive been able to find is torrent files and i dont know how to get them to work with itunes.. any suggestions? sorry im new at this!!! X.x
    are you familiar with torrents? you have to download software like utorrent in order to DL the FW from a torrent site. Generally the torrent software will create a "downloads"folder, anf will save everything you DL there....

if you'de rather not mess with that i have a link to FW that does work and you can DL it normally. Check ur in box for the link
    Last edited by creasy425; 2009-09-26 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip84 View Post
    This is HOW TO JAILBREAK iPhone 3G 3.1 on windows! (XP,VISTA,7)

**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**
    Unless you aren't worried about potentially upgrading your baseband, I would advise you not to try this tutorial until there is an Unlock method available for the 3.1 Firmware. If you will never need your iphone unlocked then it is perfectly fine to use this jailbreak method.

Before you start you need to have the following:
    1. a copy of itunes 8.2 if you don't already have it installed. (download it here Itunes 8.2 Link
    2. a copy of custom firmware 3.1 I cannot tell you how to acquire this.
    3. a copy of Redsnow 0.8 (download it here Redsnow 0.8 Link
    4. a copy of the OFFICIAL 3.0 firmware

*If you currently have your iphone jailbroken at the 3.0 level, put your phone in RECOVERY Mode (not DFU) and use steps 1,2,3,14 & 15

**If you currently have your iphone at an OFFICIAL 3.1 level, complete all of the steps.

Step 01: If you have Itunes 9 installed then uninstall it.

Step 02: Install Itunes 8.2

Step 03: Run Itunes 8.2

Step 04: if you get an "itunes library.itl" error then delete or move it from your itunes folder in "my music"

Step 05: Once you have iTunes 8.2 running, put your phone into DFU mode

Step 06: click "ok" when itunes tells you it detects your phone in recovery mode

Step 07: once your phone is in DFU mode, hold your shift key and click restore in itunes

Step 08: a window will open and you will now locate the official 3.0 firmware file and select it

Step 09: itunes will now install the official 3.0 firmware onto the phone

Step 10: at the end of this process you will likely get a error 1015 or something like that. ignore the error by clicking ok and your iphone should be showing the usb and itunes logo at this point.

Step 11: Now open up Redsnow 0.8

Step 12: Browse for the 3.0 official firmware and follow the directions that the software gives to jailbreak the iphone. during the jailbreak process for 3.0, you will notice that it seems to freeze at the "installing activation bundles" part. Don't worry, it is not frozen. Just give it a little while and it will finish.

Step 13: At this point your phone might have the USB and Itunes image back on it. This is fine. Open iTunes back up and you will probably be greeted with the "itunes detects your phone in recovery mode". Click OK.
    DO NOT PUT THE IPHONE IN "DFU" MODE AT THIS POINT. Leave it in "Recovery Mode". Leave it as it is.

Step 14: Once again, shift click the itunes restore button and select the 3.1 custom firmware.

Step 15: THAT'S IT! Let it load the 3.1 custom firmware and you are set!

I have done this on 3 3G iPhones and can confirm that this process absolutely works. I hope this helps all of you that have been waiting on a windows version of redsnow that jailbreaks 3.1. This process may take more time but it will work.

Just to clarify a few steps in this process...

If you are on official 3.1 firmware, you have to downgrade to a jailbroken 3.0 firmware and have iTunes 8.2 installed in order to restore the CUSTOM 3.1 firmware. If you are already on a 3.0 jailbroken firmware then just make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed because itunes 9 will give you error 16xx messages when you do a restore for CUSTOM 3.1 firmware.

I noticed that the majority of my steps look as though this is just to jailbreak to 3.0 SO i just wanted to make it clear that this is actually instructions to jailbreak 3.1
    Thanks dude.. Jailbreak worked but unfortunately i have updated baseband.. Any way to downgrade the baseband??

Thanks

^Not unless you have BL 5.08.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Hi Phill,

YOU ROCK! Seems to work, I made the mistake of picking the wrong 3.1 Custom Firmware. Could you add this to your original post just to save everyone the time.

"For 3.1 Custom Firmware you want to use one that is "Not Activated" for Official iPhone contrat carriers such as AT&T, you want to use one that is "Activated" if you don't have an iPhone contract for carriers like T-Mobile."

I am re-downloading Custom Firmware files now, but all signs point to this being all I need to get back on track.

-Noah

omg! Thanks to all the guys giving replies and such (i read through 14pages worth and tries to jailbreak my iphone 4times)

I'm from australia and my iphone 3G is version 3.1 and is currently locked to a network called optus. I have a different sim and i wanted to jailbreak it to find BL 5.8 (when i bought this off ebay, it was updated to 3.1) - So i followed all ur instructions and even used the 3.1 firmware you guys suggested. After doing all that i end up with the message "Insert a valid sim with no pin lock to active iPHONE" - I've tried my mother's sim before (which worked fine) - but now doesnt active the phone

Any ideas guys? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Fukaimori; 2009-09-26 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Fukaimori View Post
    omg! Thanks to all the guys giving replies and such (i read through 14pages worth and tries to jailbreak my iphone 4times)

I'm from australia and my iphone 3G is version 3.1 and is currently locked to a network called optus. I have a different sim and i wanted to jailbreak it to find BL 5.8 (when i bought this off ebay, it was updated to 3.1) - So i followed all ur instructions and even used the 3.1 firmware you guys suggested. After doing all that i end up with the message "Insert a valid sim with no pin lock to active iPHONE" - I've tried my mother's sim before (which worked fine) - but now doesnt active the phone

Any ideas guys? Thanks!!!
    There are at lest two kinds of custom firmware, "Not Activated" for official contract carriers like AT&T and "Activated" for ones like T-Moble... did you try using both kind of the custom firmware? I found a site that puts up links for 4 different kinds... just google "custom firmware 3.1" in quotes... its the first link that shows up in the US. This pages takes you to a HORRIBLE download site so it will take a long time to DL that stuff so be warned.. but it give you some options you can try.

Good luck!

-Noah

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah For This Useful Post:

Fukaimori (2009-09-26)

Thanks Noah! I've actually been downloading from that website for the past two hours cause its off rapidshare *dies* if its not the unactivated one....*dies again* haha

First off I just wanna say thanks for the guide. I followed everything exactly and all seems to work well, I have cydia and im on 3.1 fw. Now my problem is I have no service..Any ideas?

totally awsome thanks alot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerpogi View Post
    First off I just wanna say thanks for the guide. I followed everything exactly and all seems to work well, I have cydia and im on 3.1 fw. Now my problem is I have no service..Any ideas?
    you used the wrong FW. check ur in box

thanks it worked perfectly

I just updated my iphone 3g, which was previously running 3.0 jailbroken, with the custom non activated firmware.

I am experiencing the carrier name not showing at the top, but I cannot download anything from Cydia. I think its because ICy is also installed. How do I remove Icy? Can I re update it so that it doesn't install ICY?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
    I just updated my iphone 3g, which was previously running 3.0 jailbroken, with the custom non activated firmware.

I am experiencing the carrier name not showing at the top, but I cannot download anything from Cydia. I think its because ICy is also installed. How do I remove Icy? Can I re update it so that it doesn't install ICY?

Thanks
    I had the same issue with cydia.. i dont know how to uninstall icy...i just restarted cydia a coulpe of times,, and DO NOT fire up icy, and it works just fine...once you get cydia working download make it mine, and you can manually enter ur carrier name

thanks,

I got Cydia working after reupdating again. Should I use Cydelete to delete Icy? I haven't opened it at all since the reupdate...

Thanks

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast