Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which firmware to use?

Question Which firmware to use?
    Maybe a stupid question, but, if I am using redsnow to jailbreak my new 3gs on 3.0.1 firmware. iClarified says to use there custom 3.0.1 firmware to replace it. But I have been reading in forums to use th 3.0. Which is the correct way to do it?? I know I need to capture the ibec and the ibss for the future jailbreaks. But what gives?
    Is there a more up to date guide on how to do this? please help
    Thanks in advance!!!

to jailbreak just use redsnow and when it asks you for the currently installed firmware point it towards a standard 3.0 firmware file. capturing all your numbers is a whole other story. i suggest just jailbreaking right now and doing nothing else. dont update. dont do anything. just jailbreak with redsn0w
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

number johnny 5 (2009-09-18)

So I should download the custom 3.0 file from iClarified instead?
    Also I thought if I jailbreak it without capturing the other two, I would never be able to jailbreak it again after an os update. Where is the best walk-though/guide to do this? I'm not a total idiot, but if it doesn't have an engine and wheels I can really screw things up! I don't need to unlock it. I have ATT.

iclarifieds is not a custom ipsw. it a standard one. all you need to do is download the standard 3.0 firmware file. use the guide below but skip the restore part. just go right to the part about redns0w. thats it. download the file there and when redsn0w asks you for an ipsw give it that one. easy and simple. then youll jailbreak
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

and soon enough the dev-team will have a new redsn0w that can jailbreak the 3.1 FW just dont update after you do it now...be patient for a new redsn0w for the 3GS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to medicscott For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    iclarifieds is not a custom ipsw. it a standard one. all you need to do is download the standard 3.0 firmware file. use the guide below but skip the restore part. just go right to the part about redns0w. thats it. download the file there and when redsn0w asks you for an ipsw give it that one. easy and simple. then youll jailbreak
    You referred to a guide above. Did I miss the link?