Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Caching Apple's Signature Server and bypassing straight to Cydia Question

Green Apple
    Thanks

Smile Caching Apple's Signature Server and bypassing straight to Cydia Question
    Hi all,

I have read the post by Saurik here and opened the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to put in the new server details: (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com)

What programme do I use to open the file? Notepad? Word?

Do I place the above ip address right at the bottom of the page or do I put it just below the pre existing ones with a # beside it?

Cheers,

Emby

don't use word, use notepad or WordPad.
    it doesn't really matter where you put it, best is to put it at the end of the file. make sure you use a NEW LINE for it, don't put it in an existing line next to something else!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Emby (2009-09-17)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi BlackWolf,

I open the file in notepad and put the details in there at the end of the file and try to save it over the old one and it won't let me. It says 'Make sure that the path and file name are correct'

and if I get further it says 'you do not have permission'

Im assuming it needs to be saved as a 'file' again and not a .txt document.

Can anyone give and idiots guide for me, the idiot. ?

Thanks for your patience!

Ps im on vista ultimate on a sony vaio laptop if that has any relevance!

hi guys i tried all the manouvre and could open and edit this new line but actually i had a new message coming up from itunes saying that this device is not eligble for this build???????
    any one to help pls

Quote Originally Posted by Emby View Post
    Hi BlackWolf,

I open the file in notepad and put the details in there at the end of the file and try to save it over the old one and it won't let me. It says 'Make sure that the path and file name are correct'

and if I get further it says 'you do not have permission'

Im assuming it needs to be saved as a 'file' again and not a .txt document.

Can anyone give and idiots guide for me, the idiot. ?

Thanks for your patience!

Ps im on vista ultimate on a sony vaio laptop if that has any relevance!
    that's because you can't save anything to the windows folder. best thing to do is copy the file to your desktop, edit it, then copy it back. that'll work

Quote Originally Posted by ifoued View Post
    hi guys i tried all the manouvre and could open and edit this new line but actually i had a new message coming up from itunes saying that this device is not eligble for this build???????
    any one to help pls
    then you definetly did something wrong ... maybe your change wasn't saved?

Thanks

I've edited my host files and am still unable to restore my 3.0 firmware 3gs to 3.0!?!?!

I get the following error:

The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by FusionZ06 View Post
    I've edited my host files and am still unable to restore my 3.0 firmware 3gs to 3.0!?!?!

I get the following error:

The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Ideas?
    same as above: then you didn't do it right

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    same as above: then you didn't do it right
    I did it right. I believe you had to have cached your settings before hand with Saurik?

Trust me I've been editing host files for years.

actually i changed the admistrator approval and it worked but, i think that what i did before was wrong, actually i tryed to download a winterboard on my 3gs 3.0 and then the device asked for restart so i approved but never restarted, got stuck in the apple screen with the thinking weel and then got scared cos i m now nothing about all this technology, so i actually upgraded it with itunes to 3.1 without saving any of my key files...
    any way thanks for replying so for now i guess nothing to do right ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks BlackWolf,

will give that a go tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionZ06 View Post
    I did it right. I believe you had to have cached your settings before hand with Saurik?

Trust me I've been editing host files for years.
    if you didn't hash your ECID then you should get an error (1500 or something?) ... . But shouldn't you know if you have an ECID on file with cydia? In any case, if you edit the file correctly and you have an ECID with cydia, it will work.

I have edited my host file. Rebooted my WinXp machine and then try to restore my 3.0 IPSW It still tries to authenticate with the Apple Server. I have only had 3.0 on my 3GS. Can someone tell me what is the next option to circumvent apple's IPSW authentication server besides the Saurik's way? I do not have a mac.

Just make sure when you are saving the hosts file that it is not being saved as hosts.txt instead. Windows does this, and if you don't have the file extensions turned on you'll never know it.

There is also a huge thread in the Downgrading forum about ways to set up your own desktop server for authentication, but I couldn't get it to work for the longest time and I'm still not sure I did it right.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about. I need some help. The other day, my ex got his hands on my iphone and says he copied all my cache files onto cydias server so he could access it later. To be completely honest, i have no idea what all this means. He says the cache files are all the files that have been on my phone since it's last restore months ago. This includes all emails, texts, phone records, photos, everything rather I deleted them from the phone or not. If this is the case, he could really mess with my life. Does anyone know how he did this and if there is a way i can access the information from the server and get rid of it? I do not know much about computers or the iphone and am looking for "dummy terms and instructions". Please, can anyone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by finallylettinggo2010 View Post
    You guys seem to know what you are talking about. I need some help. The other day, my ex got his hands on my iphone and says he copied all my cache files onto cydias server so he could access it later. To be completely honest, i have no idea what all this means. He says the cache files are all the files that have been on my phone since it's last restore months ago. This includes all emails, texts, phone records, photos, everything rather I deleted them from the phone or not. If this is the case, he could really mess with my life. Does anyone know how he did this and if there is a way i can access the information from the server and get rid of it? I do not know much about computers or the iphone and am looking for "dummy terms and instructions". Please, can anyone help me?
    im guessing hes lying. or he doesn't know what hes on about.

He was just talking crap. You can't copy anything onto cydia's server without them verifying it. Another thing is, does your phone have an app on it called Cydia? If not, it is truly impossible. Another thing is you have to be a developer in order to copy things to cydia, he was just trying to fool you.

He was just talking crap. You can't copy anything onto cydia's server without them verifying it. Another thing is, does your phone have an app on it called Cydia? If not, it is truly impossible. Another thing is you have to be a developer in order to copy things to cydia, he was just trying to fool you.
    Last edited by Chrispialpha; 2013-12-16 at 04:34 PM.

Nice work replying to that almost 4 year old post!

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0