Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I get 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Should I get 3.0
    Hey Guys, I have a iphone 2G running on version 2.2.1 Its jailbroken using Pwang. I have not had any major issues with my phone, but I am looking to upgrade to 3.0 and jailbreak. I was wondering if anyone can guide me in the right direction in order to do this correct. I dont want to screw up my phone. Let me know what I need and should I use redsnow? I am running on windows no mac. So help me guys, thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

1. I suggest upgrading to 3.0.1 as it really is no different than 3.0 besides the SMS vulnerability fix. But why not since you're going to upgrade anyway.
    2. Download proper ipsw from the Downloads section here on MMi. Make sure you download 3.0.1 for 2G, not 3G or 3GS. Also, download the 3.0 ipsw while you're at it (explained later).
    3. Go to your iTunes and hit Shift+Restore and select the ipsw you just downloaded (3.0.1).
    4. Let it do its thing and upgrade to 3.0.1.
    5. When finished, download redsn0w. You can find it here:
    Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w in june
    6. Run redsn0w. Point at the 3.0 ipsw you downloaded earlier. Proceed, finish, and now you're jailbroken and unlocked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

raggs456 (2009-09-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Should I upgrade to the newest version of Itunes?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

For 3.0.1 I think it's safer tonstay on iTunes 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    For 3.0.1 I think it's safer tonstay on iTunes 8.2
    it actually doesn't really matter.
    oh and if you have access to a mac, you can use PwnageTool to go straight to 3.1 :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    1. I suggest upgrading to 3.0.1 as it really is no different than 3.0 besides the SMS vulnerability fix. But why not since you're going to upgrade anyway.
    2. Download proper ipsw from the Downloads section here on MMi. Make sure you download 3.0.1 for 2G, not 3G or 3GS. Also, download the 3.0 ipsw while you're at it (explained later).
    3. Go to your iTunes and hit Shift+Restore and select the ipsw you just downloaded (3.0.1).
    4. Let it do its thing and upgrade to 3.0.1.
    5. When finished, download redsn0w. You can find it here:
    Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w in june
    6. Run redsn0w. Point at the 3.0 ipsw you downloaded earlier. Proceed, finish, and now you're jailbroken and unlocked.
    This is exactly what I did and it worked perfectly. Took like 30 minutes. After this using ultrasnow to unlock is even easier. I've had no issues other than I'd rather still have Quickgold as opposed to Spotlight but this is a minor thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    This is exactly what I did and it worked perfectly. Took like 30 minutes. After this using ultrasnow to unlock is even easier. I've had no issues other than I'd rather still have Quickgold as opposed to Spotlight but this is a minor thing.
    I am going to try this out this weekend. Let you guys know how everything worked out.