Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant Jailbreak - WEIRD

Default Cant Jailbreak - WEIRD
    Someone PLEASE help. I'm starting to think I've got a new batch of unjailbreakable 3Gs. I have jailbreaked loads in my time but I'm stuck. I can restore my phone fine. Once I restore, I set up as a new phone. I then run redsnow, I select the IPSW 3.0 file I have downloaded and put on my desktop. As soon as I run it, itunes says that it has detected that the phone is still in recovery mode!!! What!!!?? It cant be because, I've recovered, set up as a new phone, phone gets activated and can be used normally.

If I continue with Redsnow, it does all the right things on the screen but nothing happens on the phone OTHER THAN put the phone back into restore mode and I have to restore the phone.

Please tell me I am doing something very simple wrong (I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes).

Thanks

I would try shutting down itunes before you start. since you have to put the phone into dfu mode before redsn0w starts its work, itunes is correct when it says "detected phone in recovery mode" ... and that may interrupt redsn0ws work. so restore, exit itunes, then run redsn0w, see how it goes.

oh, and remember that redsn0w isn't supposed to work on 3.1!

Thanks mate. I'll try that. I'm reading that there may be an issue because this phone is preinstalled with 3.1. I may need to downgrade somehow...?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybond View Post
    Thanks mate. I'll try that. I'm reading that there may be an issue because this phone is preinstalled with 3.1. I may need to downgrade somehow...?
    you can't downgrade, but as long as you only need a jailbreak and no unlock, it shouldn't matter

I need both. My previous 3GS was fine. I'm reading horror stories about unlocking never working again. If I was tp 'fake injury' to the iphone and get a replacement, that would make no difference would it as they upgrade and activate in the shop.

I will mention that I did jailbreak it first thing but the unlock wouldnt work - now I cant jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybond View Post
    I need both. My previous 3GS was fine. I'm reading horror stories about unlocking never working again. If I was tp 'fake injury' to the iphone and get a replacement, that would make no difference would it as they upgrade and activate in the shop.

I will mention that I did jailbreak it first thing but the unlock wouldnt work - now I cant jailbreak.
    well, I'm afraid I can't give you any good news then. Unlock doesn't work on 3.1 as of now, and it is unknown if 3.1 or any future firmware (better yet: baseband, which is the modem firmware) will be unlockable again.
    For now there is nothing you can do about it I'm afraid.

edit: forget what I said about jailbreaking. since your unlock is broken anyway, you will be able to jailbreak one way or another. but don't count on an unlock for your phone, sorry.
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-09-17 at 03:07 PM.