Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring iPhone 3G 3.1 custom jailbroken firmware on windows..

Default Restoring iPhone 3G 3.1 custom jailbroken firmware on windows..
    hi guys..
    welli have a little problem here
    i was already running 3.1 firmware on my iphone 3g when i heard about the jailbreak and downloaded the custom jailbroken 3.1 firmware for my iphone 3g from a torrent site. well i went ahead backed up my iphone and selected the custom firmware and itunes kept sitting on the "preparing the iphone for restore" thing for god knows how long then it said error. i tried different computers same thing again. then tried an old firmware and e verything worked fine. so im wondering why i cant restore my iphone using the custom firmware because everytime i do try it gets stuck on that screen.. please help

anybody ?
    Last edited by Trayanscragg; 2009-09-16 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trayanscragg For This Useful Post:

denniswang44 (2009-09-17)

ive been asking that for over 24 hours....

I'm having the same issue on one of my 3G phones. I updated to official 3.1 through iTunes a day before the dev team released pwnage tool. I used a custom ipsw to successfully jailbreak my other 3G (3.0JB) today but kept getting errors on the officially updated 3G. I think it may be because the official 3.1 upgraded the baseband to 5.11.04. The custom ipsw from pwnage tool preserved the original baseband from 3.0. Since you can't downgrade the baseband, iTunes keeps giving me errors.

I upgraded to 3.1 also by itunes and havn't tried jailbreaking yet (windows) am I going to have a problem when I do go to jailbreak it?

did you guys put your iPhone into DFU mode?

I did DFU mode. I'm guessing it's my baseband update conflicting with the various custom ipsw files that have the preserved baseband. Is there another explanation?

please read my replys to the other thread. http://modmyi.com/forums/general/684...05-1600-a.html
    thatsd how i managed to restore it

maybe you shouldnt of update..huh?

actually, you should read Poseidon's Post in that thread
    Generally each and every time I restore to a custom firmware on my Mac I have to go into /your user name/library/iTunes/devicesupport and delete the file in here first. After that I have to build a NEW ipsw EVERY time I restore. Always works. If y'all are getting this error on windows I can't help ya.
    that should do the trick. but who knows how your custom firmware was built and if it even is a custom firmware. I would NEVER trust a downloaded file. you should really wait for a windows JB or do it yourself or just go for 3.0.1 ... seriously

i got everything working properly but i lost my carrier logo WTF??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juantwothree80 View Post
    i got everything working properly but i lost my carrier logo WTF??
    this is from the dev team blog:

Update 2: Unlocked users on the 3G will probably notice that the name and/or logo of their carrier is missing, but they still have full bars and a signal. So far this seems to be purely a cosmetic issue and it doesn’t impact your signal or coverage. We hope to have this issue “fixed” when we release the 3GS compatible version of PwnageTool. This is very likely tied to Update #3…

Quote Originally Posted by Trayanscragg View Post
    hi guys..
    welli have a little problem here
    i was already running 3.1 firmware on my iphone 3g when i heard about the jailbreak and downloaded the custom jailbroken 3.1 firmware for my iphone 3g from a torrent site. well i went ahead backed up my iphone and selected the custom firmware and itunes kept sitting on the "preparing the iphone for restore" thing for god knows how long then it said error. i tried different computers same thing again. then tried an old firmware and e verything worked fine. so im wondering why i cant restore my iphone using the custom firmware because everytime i do try it gets stuck on that screen.. please help

anybody ?
    If you haven't got it working yet, try my tutorial on this thread: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/685...1-windows.html
    It works perfectly if you follow exactly what i say to do.
    Last edited by Phillip84; 2009-09-20 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

phillip yes it works ok so far but no option for vvm and no carrier logo and in my about tab says network is unavailable...wtf it took me forever to restore then get everything back this succcks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juantwothree80 View Post
    phillip yes it works ok so far but no option for vvm and no carrier logo and in my about tab says network is unavailable...wtf it took me forever to restore then get everything back this succcks
    hmm...the carrier logo i've heard about but not the visual voicemail thing. Could it be that the custom 3.1 firmware you used was a bad one?

The carrier logo issue was said by the Dev Team, to be a cosmetic issue that could be fixed in the future.

It's weird though cause when I jailbroke 3.1, I had neither of these problems. I have my carrier logo in tack and vvm works like it always has.