Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with my iPhone

Exclamation Need help with my iPhone
    OK .. so, I bought an iPhone from someone. They didn't say what version of firmware was on there or anything - I guess they didn't remember. The phone was already jailbroken/unlocked for T-Mobile because they had found it somewhere, went through the whole process of unlocking it and all that, then decided they wanted to get a 3GS.. so they sold it to me.

When I got the phone, it had an i-Smartphone chip in the SIM card holder. The person I bought it from said to just put in my T-Mobile SIM card and I should be able to use it without problems.

Unfortunately, when I put in my SIM card, it would search for a network for a while then would say No Service.... then after a while would come up with a message stating there was no sim card.

I don't get what's going on -- I've looked on Google for HOURS and tried a ton of different things and can't get it to work.

When I plug the iPhone into my computer via USB, it doesn't even show up in iTunes AT ALL!!

I'm so distraught and just want to FINALLY use the iPhone ... can anyone PLEASE help me figure this out and figure out what I need to do to get this working?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

If you go to Settings/General/About scroll down and look for Version. That will tell you what firmware you have.
    Is the back of the phone Silver and Black or all Black.
    A Sim adapter isn't needed if the phone is unlocked and jailbroken, this can be done with jailbreaking and unlocking software.
    Need more info. Mac or PC also.

I can't get to ANY of that information at all.

If I put in my T-Mobile sim card without the i-Smartphone chip it just says No Sim Card found.

Looking at the back of the phone it's all black with an apple logo on it and it also says "16 GB".

I'm on a PC.

I can't get to ANYTHING on the iPhone itself -- it's stuck at the screen that shows a USB cord pointing towards an iTunes logo.

The only thing it says I can do is make emergency calls.

Thanks

You have a 3G phone. What version of iTunes do you have? Your going to have to restore it and then jailbreak/unlock it. SO lete figure what iTunes you have and we'll move from there.
    you could try hacktivating it form that screen but not knowing what OS you have may cause more problems.
    You'll need redsn0w 8 You can download it form here.

I have the latest version of iTunes - 9.

When I plug in the phone, iTunes doesn't even show it as a device.

I've downloaded redsn0w.

What now?

Thanks

OK here we go. Your going to have to downgrade iTunes to 8.2 preferably or 8.2.1 otherwise it will update your phone to 3.1 which at this time can not be jailbroken. Here are instructions.
    1) Quit iTunes.

2) Delete iTunes from your Applications folder.

3) Go to your ~/Music/iTunes folder. Delete or rename the "iTunes Library" file.

4) Open the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder and look for the backup of your old pre-9 library; it should be dated at about the time you first ran iTunes 9. Copy it back out to the ~/Music/iTunes folder, and rename it to "iTunes Library".

6) Go to <http://support.apple.com/downloads/iTunes_8_2_1> and download iTunes 8.2.1. The page says it's for G3, but the Read Me file says it'll run on G4, G5, and Intel too. Open the diskimage and run the installer.

You should now be able to run iTunes 8.2.1 again.
    Have you un-zipped the redsn0w file, if not do that now.

Then your going to put the phone in DFU mode and restore in iTunes,
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button

Once iTunes restores the phone you will open the redsn0w.exe file by clicking on it and it will open and you simply follow the on screen directions.
    DO you have wifi?

Where did you go? I was going to walk you through this.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-09-14 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

trustmeclikfold (2009-09-14)

Yes I have wifi...

The problem is, when I plugin the iPhone, I don't hear any beeping sound like I would when I normally connect some other device..

The phone does vibrate when I have the USB cord plugged into the computer then plug the other end into the iPhone.

At the TOP RIGHT, the little battery icon has a plug icon in the middle of it... to me that means it's charging.

I did as you instructed though by holding the power & home buttons then letting go when I see the apple logo.

The ONLY thing I see on the screen now is a USB cord at the bottom of the screen and an arrow pointing up to an iTunes logo.

Yet, iTunes does NOT come up with any information about the iPhone being in recovery mode or anything.

It's like the computer isn't even seeing my phone... ugh

What now??

Also .... I don't know how to open a DMG file in Windows ... I did find an older EXE for iTunes 8.2.0 and installed that, but even still, it doesn't recognize the iPhone

Hopefully you're still up Sorry I didn't respond .... I was working on getting iTunes 8.2 like you said and it took a while
    Last edited by dotFRAG; 2009-09-14 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You may want to try a different USB port and also an different USB cord.
    DFU mode is the key to getting your phone restored. You just have to keep trying. If the screen goes blank, your in DFU.

I only have this one USB cord...

I would think if the USB cord was bad, the iPhone wouldn't vibrate when I plugged it into the USB port. I have tried another port and still the same result.

The USB cord I have is the one that I was given by the person I bought this from
    Last edited by dotFRAG; 2009-09-14 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Keep trying to get it in DFU mode, as I said it is the key. Without it you will not be able to restore.

I realized I had the sound off on the iPhone ((that little switch on the left side)) so I pushed it up...

When I plug the USB plug into one of the ports on my computer the iPhone beeps but NOT my computer

Thanks

that's fine, keep trying to DFU. The first method I gave you works 99% of the time. So keep trying that until it works. It may take several tries.

Something has got to be wrong with the iPhone .... I've tried what you said a few times and even went to Google and looked up how to put the iPhone into DFU mode but iTunes is STILL not recognizing the iPhone... It's like it just doesn't even see it ... ugh

I just did it again and on the iPhone I see the USB cord with the arrow and the iTunes logo but iTunes isn't coming up with any message...

I feel like I just wasted a bunch of money!
    Last edited by dotFRAG; 2009-09-14 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sux for sure. You may have other issues then.

Is it possible that the previous owner upgraded to 3.0 or whatever the latest version is and that's why it wont work?? This sucks

How else can I figure out what's wrong? I can't really take it to an Apple store

Tried it a few more times and I don't get a blank screen, I get that same screen...

I just find it hard to believe it would be the cord when the phone chimes when it's on and I plug it into the computer... the computer just doesn't recognize it

EDIT: Unfortunately I have to go to bed right now so I can get up for work in the morning but PLEASE let me know any other suggestions... this is driving me nuts
    Last edited by dotFRAG; 2009-09-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If a sim adapter was being used it was probably running on 2.2 or 2.2.1.
    Doesn't really matter now because you have to restore to get it working. And the only way is DFU mode.
    I believe what you say the USB cord is probably fine but have to do a process of elimination to find a way to make this happen.
    Myself as well I have to get up for wok also. Good luck.

Is it possible that, if the iPhone was originally hacked on a MAC that I would have to use a MAC to restore it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFRAG View Post
    Is it possible that, if the iPhone was originally hacked on a MAC that I would have to use a MAC to restore it?
    ^^^No not at all!!!

You need to get the phone in DFU mode otherwise you are just killing time. Try a different port and cable.
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-09-15 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've gotten the PHONE into DFU mode, but iTunes still does not recognize it ... hell ... even WINDOWS doesn't pop up a little icon saying a new device / drive was found

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast