Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So let me guess. I'm screwed?

Default So let me guess. I'm screwed?
    I was reading up on 3.0 OS, and read on several sites that it was OK to upgrade FW 2.2 (2g) to 3.0, but you needed iTunes 8.2. I did that, but it only offered to upgrade to 3.1. so I did it, and now I lost my jailbreak. So unless I'm mistaken my phone can never be unlocked, and I'll have to use ATT service? I've been up for 7 hours looking for ways to restore it back, but I've found nothing but dead ends...

Thanks

2G you say?
    You'll be able to JB and UL.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    2G you say?
    You'll be able to JB and UL.
    I'll be able to? As in the future, or it can be done now? How? lulz

Thanks

Once the tools come out. It won't be that far away(I think) but no ETAs for now.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

5. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

thablewprnt (2009-09-12)

^Something to look forward to. Thanks for replying.

Thanks

No problemo

Thanks

I see you are on a 2G so you are NOT screwed. yeah!!!

OK I just bought an iphone this after noon OK my 8th one actually, I buy get bored hacking and sell.
    the lady upgraded it to 3.1 thinking she was doing me a favor. I like to hack and tinker no favor.

I digress.

any way I have down graded my phone to a working 1.1.4 because I tried to down load to 2.2.1 but I could not find the correct itunes. I thought it was already on my computer. Jumped the gun to quickly.

I have 3 partitions on my computer 1 for the latest itunes and firmware, one for 2.x related iphone stuff, and yes one for 1.1.3/4 stuff.

OK here it goes.

If you have a 2G any way. You will need itunes 8.0.2 this will let you downgrade to 2.2.1.

First you need to delete you itunes totally. I'm on a mac so I had to delete some files in different places. Search apple they will actually tell you what directories to remove itunes from.

MAKE SURE YOU COPY OVER YOUR ITUNES FOLDER FIRST OR YOU WILL LOOSE ALL OF YOUR MUSIC VIDEOS ETC.

1. Install itunes 8.0.2 and reboot.
    2. Download Pwnage 2.2.5 for your OS and install, reboot.
    3. Download the 2G 2.2.1 firmware to desktop or pwnage folder. (I assume you already have pwnage and firmware, but wanted to say just in case)

4. put it into DFU mode ( i assume you know this also since you have been trying to downgrade, if not there are tutorials already written,)

5. restore to 2.2.1 in itunes.

You will get an error like 1015, 1011 etc. This is Ok. if you get an error with 1600, 1601. Restore again.
    The 10xx errors just mean that the base band could not be written or something like that. On 2G we are OK.

It took me 3 restores to get mine working so don't be discouraged if the first one does not work.

Once you get the 10xx error message, run Pwnage 2.2.5 to do everything else. Viola! you are done.

Don't worry you can not screw up your phone. Just restore again until it works.

I have successfully went from all 2.x firmwares to 1.1.4 numerous times.

I have successfully went from 3.1 to 1.1.4 today, now I'm going up to 2.2.1 because I jumped the gun and thought i had already had itunes 8.0.2 on my computer when I started messing with my phone. I just needed something active in case the wife tried to call.

I'm actually going to go to 2.2.1 right now as I am typing.

2G's may be a little slower, but easy to go back.

I take no credit for originality, this is just bits and pieces that I have learned over time from MMI and other sites.
    If it was a bicycle I would have been yelling Look MA!! No hands.
    Last edited by qnc; 2009-09-12 at 10:10 AM.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

o2c (2009-10-06), thablewprnt (2009-09-12)

Thanks

Oh right, forgot to tell you.
    you can downgrade back to 3.0
    by going into DFU mode (make sure you're in DFU and not recovery)
    then hold shift(or option) + click restore
    then select the 3.0.1 or 3.0 ipsw.

OK I just bought an iphone this after noon OK my 8th one actually, I buy get bored hacking and sell.
    the lady upgraded it to 3.1 thinking she was doing me a favor. I like to hack and tinker no favor.

I digress.

any way I have down graded my phone to a working 1.1.4 because I tried to down load to 2.2.1 but I could not find the correct itunes. I thought it was already on my computer. Jumped the gun to quickly.

I have 3 partitions on my computer 1 for the latest itunes and firmware, one for 2.x related iphone stuff, and yes one for 1.1.3/4 stuff.

OK here it goes.

If you have a 2G any way. You will need itunes 8.0.2 this will let you downgrade to 2.2.1.

First you need to delete you itunes totally. I'm on a mac so I had to delete some files in different places. Search apple they will actually tell you what directories to remove itunes from.

MAKE SURE YOU COPY OVER YOUR ITUNES FOLDER FIRST OR YOU WILL LOOSE ALL OF YOUR MUSIC VIDEOS ETC.

1. Install itunes 8.0.2 and reboot.
    2. Download Pwnage 2.2.5 for your OS and install, reboot.
    3. Download the 2G 2.2.1 firmware to desktop or pwnage folder. (I assume you already have pwnage and firmware, but wanted to say just in case)

4. put it into DFU mode ( i assume you know this also since you have been trying to downgrade, if not there are tutorials already written,)

5. restore to 2.2.1 in itunes.

You will get an error like 1015, 1011 etc. This is Ok. if you get an error with 1600, 1601. Restore again.
    The 10xx errors just mean that the base band could not be written or something like that. On 2G we are OK.

It took me 3 restores to get mine working so don't be discouraged if the first one does not work.

Once you get the 10xx error message, run Pwnage 2.2.5 to do everything else. Viola! you are done.

Don't worry you can not screw up your phone. Just restore again until it works.

I have successfully went from all 2.x firmwares to 1.1.4 numerous times.

I have successfully went from 3.1 to 1.1.4 today, now I'm going up to 2.2.1 because I jumped the gun and thought i had already had itunes 8.0.2 on my computer when I started messing with my phone. I just needed something active in case the wife tried to call.

I'm actually going to go to 2.2.1 right now as I am typing.

2G's may be a little slower, but easy to go back.

I take no credit for originality, this is just bits and pieces that I have learned over
    Thanks man, I'm trying it now. I'll let you know what happens ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Oh right, forgot to tell you.
    you can downgrade back to 3.0
    by going into DFU mode (make sure you're in DFU and not recovery)
    then hold shift(or option) + click restore
    then select the 3.0.1 or 3.0 ipsw.
    Tried this. I just get a error message in iTunes saying an "unknown error has occurred".
    Last edited by thablewprnt; 2009-09-12 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thablewprnt For This Useful Post:

o2c (2009-10-06)

I had the same prob. and mistakenly upgraded to 3.1... I can restore it back to 3.0, but can't go any further. Need to re-unlock this.

I tried qnc's post above, can't have itune 8.0.2. So I can restore only back to 3.0. When I try to restore it with 2.2.1, it gives me an error message a little while later that unknown error occurred.

Tried to unlock/JB it with RedSn0w, but the ipsw file is not recognized.

What am I doing wrong??? Any help can be appreciated.

PS> Thanks for those people who started this thread and qnc for detailed instruction.

Update:
    Well, thanks to all of you here, I got some encouragement and moved on. I was able to unlock/jb 3.0 with no problem with RedSn0w afterwards. Mistakenly hitting that 3.1 upgrade button was a big mistake!

Here's what I did:
    1. Download 3.0 firmware from this site: iPhone Firmware Files | iPhone News, Help and Guides
    Not 3.0.1! 3.0.
    2. Running DFU mode, click the Restore button on iTune (I have 9 here) with "SHIFT" button, and selected this file: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw that I downloaded from above site.
    3. After restoring is done, I went to RedSn0w, followed the instruction, and running 3.0 on 2g with Cydia.

Don't know if this was "correct" way or whatever, but glad to see the home screen again.

Whatever I wrote here is just my experience I'm sharing, so I won't take any responsibility for what you do. But I'm just noting that it worked for me and without those people above, I couldn't have done it. My first unlocked/jb iPhone, so learned some lessons!!!
    Last edited by o2c; 2009-10-06 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost