Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading to jailbroken 3.0 from jailbroken 2.2.1

Default upgrading to jailbroken 3.0 from jailbroken 2.2.1
    Hello all,

I have my iPhone 3G jailbroken in 2.2.1, which I love, have never had a problem with and would hate to part with on any level. However, I've been noticing that many new apps don't like my version and require 3.0. I researched redsnow but can't seem to find any info on how to do an upgrade, only how to jailbreak 3.0. If I go ahead and do this do I lose all my info, jailbroken apps, themes etc? Saurik updates that he has been working on an OTA upgrade but is running into snags, does anyone know the least painful process of doing what I want to do? Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Regards,
    Joey

You will want to download AptBackup from Cydia first, to backup your Cydia apps, and then if you want manually SSH and backup other folders, and iTunes can back up contacts, notes. Then you can upgrade to 3.0, which will unjailbreak your iphone, then jailbreak again. DO NOT upgrade to firmware 3.1, but to 3.0. (there isn't a jailbreak for 3.1 yet). If you can only upgrade to 3.1, then get the 3.0.1 ipsw file from somewhere, then hold down shift (option on macs) and then click restore in itunes, fine the 3.0.1 ipsw file and it restores (but that way you'd lose things like highscores since its actually restoring the iphone).