Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumors that 3.1 locks out jailbreaking and unlocking...

Talking Rumors that 3.1 locks out jailbreaking and unlocking...
    lots of rumors are flying that the 3GS will no longer be jailbreakable or unlockable... a little common sense can prove this false. Its my opinion that Apple secretly NEEDS the Dev Team... why? because in the US, for some political reason (and metaphorical blowjobs at the upper levels of management), the iPhone is only available with AT&T. By making a device that leaves an open door to be unlocked, Apple can now reach millions more cell users with other carriers (but who would love an iPhone) who won't touch AT&T with a ten foot poll... be this due to bad experience with the company, or (more realistically) poor signals where they live... And all that without violating any agreements with AT&T (who no doubt pay VERY handsome kickbacks).

Er-ego, by making a handset (or releasing a firmware) that is truly locked, Apple would be slamming the door on billions of $ in potential sales. That's why i believe that while Apple may not secretly commune with their personal devils, i DO believe that they're fully aware that its in their best interests to leave the back door open just wide enough for the demons to come in and do what they do best: Design jailbreaks and unlocks...

just my 2 cents worth...
    Last edited by AnotherCanadian; 2009-09-11 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCanadian View Post
    lots of rumors are flying that the 3GS will no longer be jailbreakable or unlockable... a little common sense can prove this false. Its my opinion that Apple secretly NEEDS the Dev Team... why? because in the US, for some political reason (and metaphorical blowjobs at the upper levels of management), the iPhone is only available with AT&T. By making a device that leaves an open door to be unlocked, Apple can now reach millions more cell users with other carriers (but who would love an iPhone) who won't touch AT&T with a ten foot poll... be this due to bad experience with the company, or (more realistically) poor signals where they live... And all that without violating any agreements with AT&T (who no doubt pay VERY handsome kickbacks).

Er-ego, by making a handset (or releasing a firmware) that is truly locked, Apple would be slamming the door on billions of $ in potential sales. That's why i believe that while Apple may not secretly commune with their personal devils, i DO believe that they're fully aware that its in their best interests to leave the back door open just wide enough for the demons to come in and do what they do best: Design jailbreaks and unlocks...

just my 2 cents worth...
    sorry to tell you but your 2 cents are not even worth 2 cents! Apple is losing money due to jailbreaks with cracked applications, and people not using at&t so they get a kickback. Apple 100% doesn't want it going on.

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    sorry to tell you but your 2 cents are not even worth 2 cents! Apple is losing money due to jailbreaks with cracked applications, and people not using at&t so they get a kickback. Apple 100% doesn't want it going on.
    people is making lots of money from unlocking. they sure as hell don't want jailbreaking, but what you gonna do.

oh and @topic: who says 3.1 is not unlockable or jailbreakable? of course it is.