Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to upgrade manually from 2.2.1 to 3.0/3.0.1

Default How to upgrade manually from 2.2.1 to 3.0/3.0.1
    Hi,

I took my time and didn't upgrade to 3.0 and now I wondering. How can I update to 3.0.1 from 2.2.1 firmware? From iTunes it only suggests me to get 3.1 (which I'd rather not do since I want to jailbreak).

Any ideas?

Thanks

depends. if you have a 3GS you can only upgrade to 3.1 since apple is not allowing restores/upgrades to 3.0.1 or 3.0 anymore.

if you have a 2G or 3G: download the firmware you want from the download section here at MMi. then hold shift (windows) or alt (mac) and click on "restore" in itunes. this allows you to select a firmware file you want to restore to. select the downloaded firmware and there you go
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-09-11 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

fizzbitt (2010-01-21)

Blackwolf, You are really nice, You saved me, when I trying to upgrade, I erased all, but thanks to You, I restore to the version I wanted. THANKS

Hi, thanks for the info as i have the same issue.

I have downloaded the relevant firmware for my cousins 2G Iphone but when i use itunes to restore using the shiftkey method it cant see the firmware in the folder i have it in.

It is in the correct .ipsw format but it still wont show up for me to select it!

Now i believe that there is some issues with itunes 9 and jailbreaking. Could this be my problem? is version 9 stopping me from installing an old firmware on the phone or is it something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Fizz

Update;

Just read on another thread that people are being advised to use ITunes 8.2 so will give that a shot this weekend get back to you with the result.

Regards
    Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbitt; 2010-01-22 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost