Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Damn 3.1, how do I downgrade?

Default Damn 3.1, how do I downgrade?
    Hey, now i know everyone said DONT UPGRADE!!! but, seeing as my iphone was completely stuck in a loop of dfu mode then powering off then respringing, etc, so I had to restore thru iTunes.

Now, I'm wondering how I can downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 (or even pre 3.0). I have tried just using iTunes with my phone dfu mode, but when it goes to restore, once it gets up to "preparing iphone for restore" it just hangs and stops.

Anyone been able to downgrade?

Also, i've tried using xcode and various older editions of iTunes, but nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance
    Yianni
    (iPhone 3G 16gb)

Default You can not
    as of now, you can NOT downgrade.

Default a gix never been expected to happen
    because i have been an idiot trying to prove wrong everybody else...last night i upgraded to 3.1
    after that tried to jailbreak 3.1 but nothing worked
    then an idea came to my mind and that was it....
    i tried to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.01 and i got the error from itunes....afte that i tried to jailbreak my phone using redsnow 0.8 using the 3.0 firmware and out of the blue it worked....so good luck to everybody and enjoy
    p.s. i tried it with icy and cydia and it didnt work
    so i unchecked icy and got the jailbreak....
    hope it works 4 u 2...
    vikman

Quote Originally Posted by vikman23 View Post
    because i have been an idiot trying to prove wrong everybody else...last night i upgraded to 3.1
    after that tried to jailbreak 3.1 but nothing worked
    then an idea came to my mind and that was it....
    i tried to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.01 and i got the error from itunes....afte that i tried to jailbreak my phone using redsnow 0.8 using the 3.0 firmware and out of the blue it worked....so good luck to everybody and enjoy
    p.s. i tried it with icy and cydia and it didnt work
    so i unchecked icy and got the jailbreak....
    hope it works 4 u 2...
    vikman
    yes, you can sometimes jailbreak 3.1 with redsn0w. still, when you upgrade, you will lose the abilty to unlock forever maybe.

Default sorry if i wasn't correct in the way i wrote it
    you didnt get it ididn't jailbreak 3.1 i downgrated and jailbreak 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by vikman23 View Post
    you didnt get it ididn't jailbreak 3.1 i downgrated and jailbreak 3.0
    you downgraded your iphone 3GS?
    as far as I understood you you just pointed redsn0w to the 3.0 firmware - but that doesn't downgrade your iphone!

He has an iPhone 3G

how did you downgrade from 3.1?

I tried that with my 3G, but it doesn't work,

from what i have gathered you need to open itunes... put in dfu mode... hold shift click restore... choose the proper restore, (2.0,2.2.1,3.0,3.01,etc...) after that it should prompt you with an error code (that code i don't remember) after that it should be good... go into redsn0w and finish jailbreak/unlock as usual w/o icy

might have to use itunes 8.0 or older... i have used 8.0 and downgrade several 3g's 3gs's and plenty of 2g's