Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IBEC-IBSS Files

iPhone? More like MyPhone reaves205's Avatar
    Thanks

Default IBEC-IBSS Files
    Can anyone tell me if its still okay to get the IBSS and IBEC files for iPhone 3Gs. I did this for my 3G. Now I have a 3Gs and I'm not sure if I should try and get them or if I even can get them for the 3Gs......

why do you need the files. I still don't get it? I have a 3gs jailbroken and unlocked and I never got them? Please fill me in

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Via Dev-Team Blog:

Remember we warned you to stay away from any updates to 3.1 if you want to be able to jailbreak or unlock your 3GS.

Well this is an additional message to all you 3GS owners that would like to jailbreak your device sometime soon, but this advice comes with a warning! A warning that if you accidentally upgrade to 3.1, you will not be able to use Ultransn0w, so please re-read and double check this warning at the bottom of this post before proceeding.

You may have read or heard about techniques to capture files during the iTunes restore process. These will be required to jailbreak your phone in the near future, most of the methods involve icky USB snoops. Well, there is an even better and more reliable method to get your hands on those lovely files.

During the restore process iTunes nicely keeps these oh-so-top-secret-files in a lovely accessible place for us to copy out and backup, that place? /tmp on Mac OS X or %TEMP% on Windows. Thanks Apple — handy!

The downside to this approach is that you actually need to go through the restore process to get these signed files, which has risks if you are anywhere near 3.1 or 3.1 beta :-)

If you are ready to proceed and you know the risks we’ll get down to the nitty-gritty -

So during a usual recovery with iTunes, your signed iBEC is written to /tmp and during a DFU mode restore the signed iBSS is written there also. To be sure, restore in both modes one after another to be able to grab them both. You’ll need to keep an eye on the temp directory and copy it before it is deleted again by iTunes. I’m sure some nice folks will create a tutorial about this, we’ll link to the first person who makes a good one.

Should you choose to accept this mission, act fast, this needs to be done quickly! But again, always, always double check here to see if 3.1 has been released, if is has, then don’t do this.

WARNING!! - DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! - NB! - REMEMBER!

IF YOU CARE ABOUT ULTRASN0W, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS METHOD! Do not attempt this if you have downloaded the 3.1 beta. You do NOT WANT TO accidentally restore your device to 3.1 beta — you’ll lose ultrasn0w if you do! BE WARNED :-)

Thanks

I got the files for my 3G and now have the 3Gs and it jailbroken and I never used them either.
    I just read the Dev.Teams bit saying you may need them in the future for those that got them to help jailbreak since Apple quit signing the 3.0

so we may need the file in the future but as on now they are of no use? Has anyone used that grabber program does it work well?

Thanks

So can I get these files now. Since Apple quit signing 3.0 wouldn't that mean I'm forced to go to 3.1.... Which I will not do yet..

I used the grabber pro. and it worked great. But I think I hed to restore. and for now that means going to 3.1...watch ----out
    Last edited by reaves205; 2009-09-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My problem is, been outta touch slightly simply by being busy, first i realised this was when i checked cydia last night and saw the notice... i of course did it and it has saved my ECID, i also managed to get my iBSS (??) or whatever the file is thats created from PurpleRa1n.com, however i wasnt quick enough to get my iBEC.... looks like i get to live a life of 3.0.1 forever

My issue with all this JB stuff is i wish there was something that would save all the cydia apps ive installed, all the themes, but more importantly all the settings etc etc .... i know im being a but lame there but after spending a month getting the phone just the way i want it etc, sooo many apps etc, the thought of restoring and doing it all again is horrible lol. i know of APT backup and that Rock App does the majority now, but still im unsure lol

Back on track tho.... im hoping that somehow either the Devs will figure out a way without needing the iBEC OR they find another way to generate them (doubtfull i know)

Ho-hum

Only had my 3GS for a month, had a 2G for the last 2 + years lol
    do'h

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

I thougt I had all this jb sussed but now 3.1 has been released it's all got very complicated... I have a 3GS on fw 3.0.1 via iTunes9 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.8 and I never had to use a backed up ecid or ibex ibss etc it was simple and easy! I have however agreed for cydia to save my ecid when it asked me in it's new update a few days ago! I just wana know...

1) why did I not need these file backups to jb a 3.0 or 3.0.1 3GS

2) why do I now need them if I ever want to jb the new 3.1 with the awaited redsn0w for 3.1

3) do I need all these files backed up or just the ecid one cydia baced up for me a few days ago

Thanks, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    1) why did I not need these file backups to jb a 3.0 or 3.0.1 3GS

2) why do I now need them if I ever want to jb the new 3.1 with the awaited redsn0w for 3.1

3) do I need all these files backed up or just the ecid one cydia baced up for me a few days ago

Thanks, Matt
    1) The "Apple Server Switch" that did the signing hadnt been activated - it was done on release of 3.1

2) Because they contain data unique to your phone

3) im guessing all but i dont think anyone really knows the exact answer untill the dev team divulge the info. I have ECID, and a file created by purplera1n.com but im missing a file and now impossible to get.

From what i gather, whatever version of itunes you use from here on in will still force all 3GS phones to use 3.1 when restoring. There is NO "offline" way to do it either.... this change has been "activated" from the apple servers i believe.
    do'h

Thanks

Default Cydia has PkgBackup
    JT.
    try this it works great...
    I sure hope they come out with something for those that did not get to have Cydia save thrie info. I guess I did not see it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    1) The "Apple Server Switch" that did the signing hadnt been activated - it was done on release of 3.1

2) Because they contain data unique to your phone

3) im guessing all but i dont think anyone really knows the exact answer untill the dev team divulge the info. I have ECID, and a file created by purplera1n.com but im missing a file and now impossible to get.

From what i gather, whatever version of itunes you use from here on in will still force all 3GS phones to use 3.1 when restoring. There is NO "offline" way to do it either.... this change has been "activated" from the apple servers i believe.
    Thanks things are getting clearer lol... So before the release of 3.1 and the new checking/signing the apple servers now perform you could install any version of any fw on any phone (as long as it's the right one) via iTunes with the hold shift and hit restore in dfu mode method and be ok!?

And is there anyway/hack to bypass this new check via iTunes?

Matt
    Last edited by mattoligy; 2009-09-10 at 10:47 PM.

So before the release of 3.1 and the new checking/signing the apple servers now perform you could install any version of any fw on any phone (as long as it's the right one) via iTunes with the hold shift and hit restore in dfu mode method and be ok!?

And is there anyway/hack to bypass this new check via iTunes?

Matt
    Correct.... the change has been issued server side. To the best of my knowledge (and rough understanding)

During the restore process (even when using local firmware file by shift+click) a check bounces out to apple server, and comes back signed, which allowed you to install.... This no longer happens. The files are not being signed this way anymore... it was changed server side, so no, no bypass in iTunes (yet) and no way to stop it except dont try to restore lol

From what i gather, i believe there is a hope to spoof the servers or someother method where by the ECID etc are used to geneerate the required signature.

Im guessing there may be a slight possibiilty at some point be a way to patch itunes to look at a fake server and generate stuff given the ECID but im just guessing now.
    do'h

to sum it up: if you havn't gotten your ibec & ibss now and use a 3GS, you're pretty much f***ed. but there is hope yet ..
    Quote Originally Posted by saurik
    My end-game on the 3G[S] is for people to change /etc/hosts to have iTunes use my server instead of Apple's when restoring to 3.0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    to sum it up: if you havn't gotten your ibec & ibss now and use a 3GS, you're pretty much f***ed. but there is hope yet ..
    So why didn't cydia back these files up along with the ecid in it's new software update, why was only the ecid backed up if you need more? And if cydia was unable to do so why was there not a warning on the home page stating we had to do so manually before the release of 3.1...
    Last edited by mattoligy; 2009-09-11 at 02:32 AM.

So why didn't cydia back these files up along with the ecid in it's new software update, why was only the ecid backed up if you need more? And if cydia was unable to do so why was there not a warning on the home page stating we had to do so manually before the release of 3.1...
    because cydia can't. these files are only created on your computer during a dfu restore - they never reach the iphone.
    but, as far as I understood it, the ECID file can serve as a substitute for the ibec and ibss. but I'm not exactly sure on that

Thanks

... actually Jay(cydia) says on his notes in "Upgrading to 3.1?" that his files that he grabbed (ECID) are more complete than the files that we could grab manually. So, I think once Jay gets his service going, It will all gravy... lol