Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Blocking Restore of 3.0/3.0.1 Firmware

Thumbs down Wtf????
    Is this even legal? If I own a device, then surely I am allowed to manipulate the software on it however I want to, as it is my device. I own the rights to it... Can Apple actually block that? It's probably in some unseen terms and conditions of purchase somewhere...

Even so, this is plain mean... What's going to be achieved from all this?? It's horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by umnotsure View Post
    Is this even legal? If I own a device, then surely I am allowed to manipulate the software on it however I want to, as it is my device. I own the rights to it... Can Apple actually block that? It's probably in some unseen terms and conditions of purchase somewhere...

Even so, this is plain mean... What's going to be achieved from all this?? It's horrible...
    it's their software, they can do whatever they want. they could stop software updates from working all together and you had no chance of fighting them legaly.
    what they want to achieve is that everyone who hasn't gotten their IBEC & IBSS yet can't do so anymore, thus blocking their chance to unlock their 3GS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    it's their software, they can do whatever they want. they could stop software updates from working all together and you had no chance of fighting them legaly.
    what they want to achieve is that everyone who hasn't gotten their IBEC & IBSS yet can't do so anymore, thus blocking their chance to unlock their 3GS.
    If you have a 3GS that is currently jailbroken on 3.0/3.01 can you still retrieve your IBEC/IBSS by updating to 3.1 and using a grabber? I know ull then be stuck on 3.1 but at least you will then have these files backed up ready for when a jb for 3.1 comes out!? Also you wouldn't have to do it until the 3.1 jb is out...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yep i just got my new iphone 3GS yesterday ,joined forum today and downloaded all the goodies i needed to jailbreak it...also getting this message ,guess i need to wait till 3.1 gets cracked hehe

BTW Hello to everyone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Yep i just got my new iphone 3GS yesterday ,joined forum today and downloaded all the goodies i needed to jailbreak it...also getting this message ,guess i need to wait till 3.1 gets cracked hehe

BTW Hello to everyone
    Hey dude, how you liking ur 3GS

what fw did it come with?

Just got my 3GS and it's still 3.01!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellogiraffe View Post
    Just got my 3GS and it's still 3.01!
    Of course, this had to be the first time a jailbreak didn't work for me and now I'm stuck restoring to 3.1
    Last edited by Hellogiraffe; 2009-09-12 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    If you have a 3GS that is currently jailbroken on 3.0/3.01 can you still retrieve your IBEC/IBSS by updating to 3.1 and using a grabber? I know ull then be stuck on 3.1 but at least you will then have these files backed up ready for when a jb for 3.1 comes out!? Also you wouldn't have to do it until the 3.1 jb is out...
    well, yeah, that is if you don't wanna unlock. if you need or want the unlock, you can't get them anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    well, yeah, that is if you don't wanna unlock. if you need or want the unlock, you can't get them anymore.
    Oh yea I forgot about the bb, so at worst using this route you wouldn't be able to unlock but jailbreakers would be ok...

Can both the IBEC and IBSS be retrieved on the same restore at the same time?
    Last edited by mattoligy; 2009-09-12 at 12:36 PM.

How do you retrieve the IBEC and IBSS from the iphone?

Oh yea I forgot about the bb, so at worst using this route you wouldn't be able to unlock but jailbreakers would be ok...

Can both the IBEC and IBSS be retrieved on the same restore at the same time?
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Kally View Post
    How do you retrieve the IBEC and IBSS from the iphone?
    there is a grabber program for windows and a terminal script for mac. there are tutorials at iclarified.com ... just search the site for "ibss" and you should find them

My problem at the moment is a received my new 3Gs phone 2 days ago and I cannot jailbreak it. It is on 3.01 firmware and I have read in all the sites that I can jailbreak it by restoring to a 3.0 firmware but it does not work for me. I get an error message from iTunes that says my devise cannot be restored and that this device is not eligible for the requested build.

Any one have a clue how to get around all this???

My problem at the moment is a received my new 3Gs phone 2 days ago and I cannot jailbreak it. It is on 3.01 firmware and I have read in all the sites that I can jailbreak it by restoring to a 3.0 firmware but it does not work for me. I get an error message from iTunes that says my devise cannot be restored and that this device is not eligible for the requested build.

Any one have a clue how to get around all this???
    right now, there is no way around this. you're stuck at 3.0.1 for now (maybe forever, noone knows, but probably not I guess)

Default actually...
    you can use redsn0w with the 3.0 ipsw if you're running 3.0.1 firmware, it'll work. just don't upgrade to 3.1

So if I have a IPhone3G on 3.0 and want to do a restore am I not able to then with ITunes 8.2? I have yet to try it but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    So if I have a IPhone3G on 3.0 and want to do a restore am I not able to then with ITunes 8.2? I have yet to try it but just curious.
    3G is possible, 3GS is not.

oh and @thread: I'm sorry, I was a little confused yesterday it seems. of course you can jailbreak your phone, you don't have to downgrade to 3.0, just use redsn0w. but you can't JB 3.1 right now

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

GrandMstrBud (2009-09-12)

It seems that Apple has shut down the capability to download 3.0 firmware on the 3.01 to jailbreak. This happened on Thursday so it seems all of us that just received our 3Gs are out of luck. That was and still is my issue. At the moment there seems no way to jailbreak 3.01 - now if someone has done this since September 10th perhaps they can tell us how otherwise we are all stuck and have to wait for hopefully a fix.

Thanks

It seems that Apple has shut down the capability to download 3.0 firmware on the 3.01 to jailbreak. This happened on Thursday so it seems all of us that just received our 3Gs are out of luck. That was and still is my issue. At the moment there seems no way to jailbreak 3.01 - now if someone has done this since September 10th perhaps they can tell us how otherwise we are all stuck and have to wait for hopefully a fix.
    You don't need to downgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0 to jailbreak your 3GS or even go anywhere near iTunes for that matter! You need to download redsn0w0.8 and when it asks you to load a ipsw(firmware) instead of loading a 3.0.1 ipsw you load a 3.0 ipsw (even though your on 3.0.1) then connect iPhone in dfu mode and jailbreak it...

You won't be able to resore to 3.0.1 via iTunes though anymore as apple have stopped signing it, so don't play around to much after uv jb resulting in the need for a fresh restore or ull be fudged, that go's for all us 3GS owners at the moment though not a good situation really hope the dev team crack it soon!!

DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.1 unless you have rendered the phone unusable and have no other alternative lol!

Matt
    Last edited by mattoligy; 2009-09-12 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mattoligy For This Useful Post:

eejit (2009-09-13)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey dude, how you liking ur 3GS

what fw did it come with?
    I have 3.0.1 Firmware
    loving the new iphone 3gs ,its my 1st iphone ever and as i am reading this i see i CAN Jailbreak it :-) WOOT !

Yay i just did the Jailbreak on 3.01 on my 3GS using redsnow 0.8
    Great site TY !
    Last edited by eejit; 2009-09-13 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Eejit - can you please give me instructions on how you jailbroke your 3Gs - 3.01.

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    I have 3.0.1 Firmware
    loving the new iphone 3gs ,its my 1st iphone ever and as i am reading this i see i CAN Jailbreak it :-) WOOT !

Yay i just did the Jailbreak on 3.01 on my 3GS using redsnow 0.8
    Great site TY !
    Good good yea this is my first iPhone to (3GS) it's great isn't it, you can do so much when it's jailbroken! A few good apps on cydia I would recomend are sbsettings, yourtube, safari download manager and some of david ashmans stuff is really good! There's so much more though and so many great devs for this device...

Eejit - can you please give me instructions on how you jailbroke your 3Gs - 3.01.

Thanks.
    Kally read my above post, what fw are you on atm?

Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast