Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Update - Storing ECID Info?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Jay plans on taking control over our 3g[s]' and then eventually the world. where's my saurik killswitch app?

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyiphone View Post
    so after reading lots of posts I confused myself and got scared and just followed the Iclarified tutorial to get my ibec and ibss file. However I follow it like it said and used the 3.0 FW. Is that ok? I was using 3.0.1 and using red snow to jailbreak it but now since I got the files I figured I should not update to 3.0.1 for fear that it might overight the ibec and ibss files I pulled off the phone during the 3.0 fw dfu restore? Should I just leave the phone jailbroken with 3.0 until the dev team releases a solution. Oh and by the way...interestingly enough, cydia still says my phone is on file from when I did it earlier today before the firmware reinstall to 3.0 Can someone clarify this for me though? Is it cool to leave it at the 3.0 fw until they release 3.1 and the dev team comes up with a solution?
    it doesn't matter if you update to 3.0.1 ... how should the update process overwrite the IBSS on your pc? impossible those two files differ from device to device, not from FW to FW.

oh and regarding cydia: of course cydia says that it stored your files even after the reinstall. anything else wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I get that my backup copies would not be overwritten, but I thought maybe the ibex and ibbs on the phone might be replaced if you do a restore. Almost like updated files for the phone to relay to apple. Sorry I am only vguessing so maybe that sounds goofy.. So after you do a restore and get both files and log your ecid with cydia you can update to 3.0.1 again and then jailbreak as normal with red snow. Just after that don't update to 3.1 when it releases and wait for the dev team to come up with a solution.

I get that my backup copies would not be overwritten, but I thought maybe the ibex and ibbs on the phone might be replaced if you do a restore. Almost like updated files for the phone to relay to apple. Sorry I am only vguessing so maybe that sounds goofy.. So after you do a restore and get both files and log your ecid with cydia you can update to 3.0.1 again and then jailbreak as normal with red snow. Just after that don't update to 3.1 when it releases and wait for the dev team to come up with a solution.
    well ... the ibec and ibss are used so that itunes can check your restore with apple. it's kind of a security thing. if you don't have the ibec and ibss to match your device, and you create a custom firmware via pwnagetool itunes will not restore to that firmware. now that 3.1 is about to be released, there will probably be a new pwnagetool version where 3GS users can create custom firmwares. but for those firmwares to be considered valid by itunes, you need the ibec and ibss.
    as for updating: you can update to 3.0.1 all you want, just don't update to 3.1. be careful with that, as 3.1 will be released today!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

bmoeasy (2009-09-25)

wow, I knew it was coming but I figure it would be later this week or this month even. I grabbed both files yesterday after doing the DFU restore with the 3.0 firmware. I also logged my ecid file with Cydia and got the purplennyday file with my ecid. So I think I covered my bases. I never used pwnage tools to create a custom firmware? I just jailbroke with redsnow pointing it at the 3.0 firmware. I guess I am still playing catchup as to understanding how this all works. Wow, really glad I saw suriks update in cydia and then started googling or I would have not know to get both those files from a 3.0 dfu restore. So I guess now I just have to sit on my 3.0 firmware until the devteam comes up with a solution huh?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is this whole thing a direct attempt from Apple to try and prevent/curb jailbreaking, or is it just a side-effect of the update?

I hear ominous stuff like if you mistakenly upgrade to 3.1 you will never be able to jailbreak your iphone again. (fortunately I haven't)

wow, I knew it was coming but I figure it would be later this week or this month even. I grabbed both files yesterday after doing the DFU restore with the 3.0 firmware. I also logged my ecid file with Cydia and got the purplennyday file with my ecid. So I think I covered my bases. I never used pwnage tools to create a custom firmware? I just jailbroke with redsnow pointing it at the 3.0 firmware. I guess I am still playing catchup as to understanding how this all works. Wow, really glad I saw suriks update in cydia and then started googling or I would have not know to get both those files from a 3.0 dfu restore. So I guess now I just have to sit on my 3.0 firmware until the devteam comes up with a solution huh?
    well, it's actually pretty easy. when you update your firmware to 3.1 via itunes, your baseband (modem firmware, which is different than the iphone firmware) will get updated. these update COULD make the iphone unjailbreakable and unlockable (except the dev team finds a new hole in the new baseband, but you can't know that). the baseband that comes with 3.0 and 3.0.1 has been made unlockable by the dev team, which is why you can safely update to 3.0 and 3.0.1 via itunes - redsn0w and ultrasn0w work on the baseband that comes with those firmwares.
    with 3.1, you don't know if there will be a ultrasn0w that works with that firmware. so if you updated through itunes, which also updates your baseband, you might not be able to unlock in the future. what PwnageTool does is create a 3.1 firmware, but without the baseband update (and WITH the jailbreak). then you use itunes to update to your customly created 3.1 firmware - and you get 3.1, but not the baseband update that breaks your unlock.
    but with the iphone 3GS, itunes checks the firmware you update to after the update process. for this it uses the ibec and ibss files. if those don't match your device - itunes will not update. that's why you will need them to build your own custom 3.1 firmware, otherwise itunes wouldn't recognize that firmware as a valid firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmonkee42 View Post
    Is this whole thing a direct attempt from Apple to try and prevent/curb jailbreaking, or is it just a side-effect of the update?

I hear ominous stuff like if you mistakenly upgrade to 3.1 you will never be able to jailbreak your iphone again. (fortunately I haven't)
    it is an attemp to prevent jailbreaking and unlocking. just read what I just wrote above :-) if you update via itunes, you might lose the ability to jailbreak and unlock forever, that is true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12