Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help 3g issues!!!

Default Help 3g issues!!!
    Hello Everyone,

I purchased a 3g 8gb iphone that has been unlocked/jailbroken.I have had the phone for 4 days,,and have had to do literally about 20 hard starts due to freezing up,,or losing all sound.

when i recieve a text message.i will read the message,,then hit edit,,and iphone freezes,,i will do a hard start,,then it works until i go to contacts and try to update some email contact info,,all of a sudden it will freeze up,,i do a hard start,,and sometimes it will restart,,but then at the slide to unlock screen,,it will lock up,,i then do another hard start,,and then i can get to the home page.

also a couple days ago,,i never recieved an important call,because i didnt realize that my sounds were not working,,no ringtones demo,,no itunes,,no speakerphone,,no sound whatsoever,,so i did a hardstart,,nothing no sound,,i then did the headphone trick jiggling it,,and reinserting it a bunch of times,,nothing,,then i blew into the jack in case of dirt,,nothing no sound again,,I then did 1 more hard start,,and sure enough slide to unlock produced that click sound,,then went to speakerphone,,now all of a sudden ive got sound again.

this is driving me crazy,,Can anybody give me any advice.The functions of the phone all work when its not freezing up,,and i really like the phone,,but im wondering,,if i undo the jailbreak,,but leave it unlocked so i can keep using my tmobile sim card,,would that work?. I really only need a couple iphone apps,text,,and incoming/outgoing calls only,,but Im not ready to give up yet,,i have version 3.0,,but i dont know what firmware? im new to this iphone instability stuff

Please Help,,and sorry for writing so much,,just trying to explain whats happening exactly

Thanks again

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If it's not a factory unlocked phone you can't get rid of the jailbreak and keep it unlocked.

You need to restore the phone. Seems like there are too many issues to fix. A restore should set it back to factory settings and fix your problems. Then after, proceed to rejailbreak and unlock, if your phone isn't factory unlocked that is.

If it is, you can just restore it and not worry about the jailbreak since it seems you don't want it. But the jailbreak actually shouldn't be causing those problems. It sounds like something in the phone got messed up, whether it's a missing file or something accidentally got deleted, whatever it is it's too hard to fix manually. Just restore.

p.s. I think you mean you're on firmware 3.0. You can check by going to settings app, general>about>
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-07 at 07:24 AM.

Annie,

Thanks for the reply,,Honestly Im afraid to do the restore,because of all the different responses from people all over about not getting past steps,,and bricking,and unable to reboot,etc.I know that it doesnt happen to everyone,,but just alarmed is all. I will do the restore,,then the jailbreak,,then the unlock,,but i have another question for you

when i hook phone to itunes it says under devices update or restore,,what do i choose,,im running 3.0 itunes says,,,do i need to restore through itunes? also if there is corrupted files on iphone,,with the restore they will be fixed in the restore process.

Im sorry 1 more thing,,most of the issues are the sound,,or lack of it every other reboot,,When i bought the phone the speaker was taken out by tech,,but they reinstalled speaker when i bought it,,but believe it or not I read a thread about a speaker issue with iphone causing all these issues,,,something about video wire 3 on the board,,oh well too advanced for me,,I understand the jailbreak,,also the unlock,,Im just confused on the whole restore process,,I know its easy,but do i backup from restore,,or just hit restore on itunes,,,then do all the jailbreaking/unlocking

Thanks again,,I really appreciate it

itunes restore or DFU restore..What is your recommendation?
    Last edited by bldblu; 2009-09-07 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can hit upgrade to 3.0.1. The only change in the upgrade is the SMS vulnerability fix. You can stay on 3.0 if you want. I would just upgrade though. It would fix the problems assuming it's not a hardware issue. As for your sound issues if it is hardware related I don't know then. Could just be missing files tho. Just do the upgrade and jailbreak with redsn0w. If you do run into problems during any of the processes just let me know. It shouldn't be a problem tho.

Oh yeah make sure you're upgrading to 3.0.1 I haven't been on iTunes so I don't know of there has been any new releases. If there has been just do a restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1. If you do go towards 3.0.1 when jailbreaking with redsn0w point at the 3.0 fw downloaded from this site (you can find it in the downloads section) not the 3.0.1 k?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-07 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost