Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 3gS with redsnow, still need to grab ibec & ibss ?

Default Jailbreak 3gS with redsnow, still need to grab ibec & ibss ?
    I was all geared up and ready to sell my little old 2G phone and jump all the way to that fancy 3GS, but then I kept reading and reading all the various post's and now don't know what to do. It took me a year to get the nerve to jailbreak my 2G phone and as you know that is kinda straight forward now, and I thought the 3GS was the same, but now, wow, grabbing files and saving them god knows where and then getting them back,, oh my..Then I read that if the 3.1 was out then it would be to late to even grab them..does that mean that once you jailbreak it that it can't be done again?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John1177 For This Useful Post:

chernomor7 (2009-09-11)

Thanks

Just grab them before you jailbreak for 3.1

is there a link somewhere detailing this? Also, what do you do with them once they are "grabbed"?

A good link detailing how to grab the iBEC and iBSS files is on iclarified. Be aware that is a manual method and you have to be somewhat quick on the copying and pasting of files. That article details how to do it on a Windows box as your profile says you're running XP. There is also a a mac version of the same tutorial.

There is also an automated method you can read about it on thebigboss.org

You might want to do it sooner rather than later. Apparently you won't be able to do this once the 3.1 update is released.

Once you get the files for now just store them in a safe place. You will need them at a later date.

Thanks

You just have to do it BEFORE you update to 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    You just have to do it BEFORE you update to 3.1
    I was under the impression that these files were needed because they are "signed" if you will by Apples servers. Once the 3.1 update is released it didn't matter if you you had upgraded to 3.1 or not because Apples servers would no longer be "signing" the files.

I thought I had read that some where, but after doing a quick search it seems I was incorrect. My apologizes.

Main reason I was asking is that it will be at least a week or two before I can get my new phone, so was wondering if by then it will be to late and I will have a new phone that can't be jailbroke.

yeah i'm curious as well...i have a 3g on tmobile right now...i'm thinking of switching to att since my gf get like a 24% discount thru her work...her contract isnt up until like dec with tmo so we can't switch right away...so i'm curious, tho i know it's way to soon to tell, but what happens if we get the new 3gs after the 3.1 update and beyond would that mean that we can't jb the phones?

how about it guys, are the jailbreak days about to end? Did Apple finally outsmart us?

Speaking as a newbie and clueless, could I suggest that instructions about when & how to do this be added to the "how to jailbreak a 3GS". Speaking for myself but am sure I am speaking for many, if I had just bought a new phone and wanted to jailbreak it and was lucky enough to find this site, I would click on "jailbreaking a 3GS" done exactly as it describes and be perfectly happy with my new phone until I thought it needed updating, never knowing a thing about this "grabbing" thing..LOL
    Just a thought from a novice.
    Last edited by John1177; 2009-09-03 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost