Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G stuck on Apple Logo N/C via USB

Default iPhone 3G stuck on Apple Logo N/C via USB
    Hi guys this is my first post so can I start by introducing myself:

My name is Irvo.

I was given an iphone 3G by a friend who recently took it back for some bizarre reason following an argument.

Whilst it was in my possession it was jail-broken and had both cydia as well as Icy installed on the device.

But let me get to the point here guys so I can fix this problem out!!

Before I returned the phone to my friend I used the Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings command and left the phone with him.

He has come back to me with the phone which does not go any farther than the iphone boot logo screen.

Also any attempts to connect the iphone to a PC/Mac via the USB cable and restore the iphone with itunes appears to be failing not being recognised by either OS!!!

Please help guys thanks in advance for all/any help.

<u>TECH DATA:</u>

Iphone 3G
    Jailbroke
    Firmware 3.0.1 installed (then re-jailbroke)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Irvo For This Useful Post:

black_orchid (2009-09-01)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    You'll have to put the phone in DFU mode and then restore in iTunes/re-jailbreak.
    In case you need it, here is how.
    DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Welcome to MMi

Thank you very much guys and thanks for the warm welcome much appreciated.

I need to go out for a while but I will try the methods you have sent me in regards to this and post my results later on.

Please excuse me if this has been posted previously elsewhere within your forum I did looked but I was needing answers fast!!

Cheers Guys
    Irvo.

Thanks

Let us know how it works out for you. Enjoy

Guys I have tried the methods you have all suggested step by step to no avail...as yet!! I've also tried using a DFU program via windows (Cmd line) as well as trying another sync cable just to rule out bad connection but the pc aint picking up the iphone at all neither is the mac????

Guys thanks a lot for your help so far much appreciated but keep firing suggestions and possible fixes to me as Im well and truly stumped at present with this!!

I've let the battery drain out so now its not jammed on the apple logo ready for next suggestion.

Cheers
    Irvo

Thanks

DFU is the key here as I am sure you are aware of, not being able to force it has me scratching my head.
    Did the phone work when you gave it back to your (x)friend? Has he/she dropped it or done anything to it that your aware of?
    Here are a couple alternative ways. Not sure they will make a difference but worth a try.
    Method 1)
    • Attach the phone to the pc
    • Turn the phone off
    • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    • At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.
    Method 2)
    • Hook up the phone powered on to the PC
    • Now hold home / power until the phone turns off and keep holding for 10 seconds. If the phone ever turns on during this phase, start over and hold for less time.
    • Now release power and continue holding home until the PC recognizes the phone.
    • I don’t like this method as much because there are “rumors” that it may cause some 1604 errors in the restore. I am not convinced of that though.
    Method 3)
    • Attach the phone to the pc
    • Turn the phone off
    • Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
    • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
    • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
    • At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
    Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.
    Have MAC OSX 10.5.6 or aMAC Book slim? You have a problem entering DFU mode. Here is an easy fix from the dev-team blog:
    1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    2. Download the disk image
    “IOUSBFamily Log release for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    3. Install IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    4. Reboot your system.

Right guys I have tried all suggestions with the exception of IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg install as I do not have the PSU for the macbook here in the flat and have had no success as yet I am slowly but surely losing all faith in getting this phone resurrected.

The PC does not pick the iPhone up as being connected at all and neither the sleep or the home button seem to do anything at all.

I have fully charged the battery just to rule that out as well again no success.

Im open to any further suggestions until I get my mac psu and try it on that.

Cheers
    Irvo

******UPDATE!!!******

OK guys I've managed to crack the problem and resurrect the iPhone after many, many hours work unfortunatly I have nothing much of major news on how the problem was solved but what appears to have been the reason why I could not get the phone into DFU mode is that after I (finally)managed to get it to connect to itunes (BTW this still doesnt explain the NC problem) and restore the phone it appears that my friends sleep/wake button does not appear to work at alL neither does the volume control or mute switch !

No other faults have been found as yet.

I know this is probably no help to others but I want to thank all who posted helpful suggestions to help me work towards sorting the fault.

Many thanks!!

IRVO
    Last edited by Irvo; 2009-08-29 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Steps u have to take if stuck at apple logo and iTunes does not detect it.
    1. Turn off iPhone
    2. Open iTunes
    3. Hold "Home" button and while holding connect iPhone thru USB to computer, wait a few seconds and iTunes should now ask u to restore iPhone!