Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 3rd gen jailbreak delay?

Default iPod Touch 3rd gen jailbreak delay?
    As many of you might know, when that last iPod touch came out a jailbreak was not released for some time, maybe 6 months+ after the release if my memory is correct. Many assumed that it was simply hard to jailbreak. But some dev team members hinted that the jailbreak had been available for some time but not released

The idea was that if they released it too soon they might allow apple to see it and further prevent it on the newer iPhones. Because as the iPhone Dev team it seemed their priority was to keep iPhones unlockable.

The question is, will they pull this again? If the hardware is similar to the 3gs one would assume there wouldnt be a problem. But if it was a different hard ware one might fear that this would be a future hardware and that we would be giving away the secrets to apple.

Share your thoughts. Obviously there will be AN ENORMOUS bias from iPhone users to iPod users

I think apple learned their lesson from the 3gs...

but then again, the 3gs was easy to jailbreak, and it sold like hot cakes..., maybe they did it on purpose?
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

This is an IPHONE section NOT an IPOD section!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    This is an IPHONE section NOT an IPOD section!!!
    That was an accident but does it not relate to the iphone, why you care im not sure, it's either ocd or you just like to think you are the best at following rules, /i do apologize to the mods that try hard to fix this stuff but as for you chill out

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    I think apple learned their lesson from the 3gs...

but then again, the 3gs was easy to jailbreak, and it sold like hot cakes..., maybe they did it on purpose?
    Ya, I'm convinced that jailbreaking helps sails, I know that if the ipod touch 3rd gen was unjailbreakable I would not buy it. Of Course AT&t cares about it but apple sell more iphones this way, although they should protect their partner i think it would be wise of apple to never really shut out unlocking. Then again im not sure they ever could
    Last edited by Periodic; 2009-08-27 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks

I strongly doubt it'll be easily jailbreakable.
    The only reason the 3GS still had the same flaw used in the touch 2G was because it became public too late for apple to fix it in the 3GS.
    They've had plenty of time since then.

And I'm scared. When the ipod touch 3rd gen comes out the Dev Team blog's going to get spammed like crazy again. (who remembers the Touch 2G's jailbreak release? oh dear...)
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    I strongly doubt it'll be easily jailbreakable.
    The only reason the 3GS still had the same flaw used in the touch 2G was because it became public too late for apple to fix it in the 3GS.
    They've had plenty of time since then.

And I'm scared. When the ipod touch 3rd gen comes out the Dev Team blog's going to get spammed like crazy again. (who remembers the Touch 2G's jailbreak release? oh dear...)
    Ya every comment was " ipod touch 2g jailbreak?" If the hardware is in fact a new hardware i wouldnt black the dev team for holding out seeing as it worked last time

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

The bootrom vulnerability that was in the 2G iPod and the iPhone 3GS will not be there in the 3G iPod. It will take some time to jailbreak it. And like last time, the vulnerability will be saved for the new iPhone. The only reason that the jailbreak for the 2G iPod was released as early as it was, is because it was leaked by someone who stole the info. That person started to sell the jailbreak and the dev team decided to go ahead and release since it was already made public.

Thanks

Not even, much worse. There was spam like no other -_-

I think it has to do with how far away the next gen iPhone is when they discover a new exploit.
    If they discover one right away or like within a month, I think they'll release it. If they find one and it's only like 3 or 4 months away from the next iPhone or something, then they'll hang onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    The bootrom vulnerability that was in the 2G iPod and the iPhone 3GS will not be there in the 3G iPod. It will take some time to jailbreak it. And like last time, the vulnerability will be saved for the new iPhone. The only reason that the jailbreak for the 2G iPod was released as early as it was, is because it was leaked by someone who stole the info. That person started to sell the jailbreak and the dev team decided to go ahead and release since it was already made public.
    darn nitrokey
    Last edited by angiepangie; 2009-08-27 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Exactly

Ya, its somewhat surprising to me that another development team hasn't emerged releasing a jailbreak sooner than they dev team, surely there must be a group out there with similar ability and resources as the dev team. IN my mind thats kinda what happen to installer, they didn't release 2.0 soon enough and cydia/saurik rose up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Periodic View Post
    Ya, its somewhat surprising to me that another development team hasn't emerged releasing a jailbreak sooner than they dev team, surely there must be a group out there with similar ability and resources as the dev team. IN my mind thats kinda what happen to installer, they didn't release 2.0 soon enough and cydia/saurik rose up
    uhh.. geohot?

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    uhh.. geohot?
    Ya i suppose that does apply I forgot about him, and there is Zibri and Ari but none of them have really ended up above the dev team,also it's fun to go look of geohots hardware unlock it was crazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Periodic View Post
    Very true. Well the other big players are geohot and the chronic dev team. The chronic dev team had a huge role in the jailbreak and supposedly found the vulnerability for the 2G iPod. I think you may see a replay of what happened with the 3GS. The dev team wanted to wait for 3.1 before releasing their jailbreak, geohot stepped in and released purplera1n causing the dev team to release theirs. I think geohot will release another tool to be the first to jailbreak the iPod and then the dev team will take over after that. Then geohot will abandon that tool and ride off into the sunset. I hope he finishes hacking the PS3 soon

Very true. Well the other big players are geohot and the chronic dev team. The chronic dev team had a huge role in the jailbreak and supposedly found the vulnerability for the 2G iPod. I think you may see a replay of what happened with the 3GS. The dev team wanted to wait for 3.1 before releasing their jailbreak, geohot stepped in and released purplera1n causing the dev team to release theirs. I think geohot will release another tool to be the first to jailbreak the iPod and then the dev team will take over after that. Then geohot will abandon that tool and ride off into the sunset. I hope he finishes hacking the PS3 soon
    I'm starting to appreciate developers like geohot now for the reason that he just wants the jailbreak out there(but he also wants to screw the dev team)