Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unactivated AT&T 3G iPHONE, activate before jailbreak????

Default unactivated AT&T 3G iPHONE, activate before jailbreak????
    Dear anybody who knows more about this than me, so about 6billion people then...

I've got a shiny new iphone sitting on my table but i can do anything because i can't activate it, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE help me...

OK, my girlfriend brough me her dads brand new 'just outa-the-box' iphone upgrade from the states (i live in Italy) 8GB 3G, should be with AT&T..

I plugged it into itunes8, but the AT&T page appears and it wants all her dads verification info like billing address and national security number which obviously i don't want to do, for his sake...

So i guess i have to do a 'crack' registration, then 'jailbreak' it and then unlock it for use in Italy with my Vodafone sim????

Im really new to this so laymans terms would be fantastic if sometime has a few minutes spare me..
    Someone's already told me to 'jailbreak it with redsnow, but i don't see how i can do that before the phone has actually been activated..

Any kind of help & suggestions will be greatly appreaciated, sorry if it sounds anal, but everyone was a beginner once!!!

My operating system is windows if that makes any difference..

Taa very much..

aL<<

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Just restore the phone in iTunes and set the phone up as new. If you can't even get to that part...jailbreaking it should be fine whether it's activated or not. The jailbreak will activate the phone (it won't give you any signal because it's an AT&T phone and it's not unlocked yet) but you won't be stuck on the "slide for emergency" screen anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (2009-08-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

My suggestion would be to run redsn0w to hacktivate it and the install ultrasn0w to unlock.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (2009-08-31)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Ditto =P Easy way to put it haha, I talk a lot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (2009-08-31)

ALL SORTED..

thanks a lot for your help guys, it turned out to be much easier than i expect.
    For a newbee, all the add-ons, hacks, abbreviations & anacronyms can be a little confusing!!

VIVA iPHONE..

Default help
    HI,

would you mind sharing your experience about how you unlock and jailbreak your un-activated iphone?

Thanks

Hey deswin,
    sorry it's taken me so long to reply..
    have you already done it now??
    well it's a long time since i unlocked it but i remember just following the listed intructions that someone posted for me and itworked fine, just takes 20mins or so.
    Anyway, with new versions and cracks available i don't know if the same exact process would be any more valid!
    my iphone is currently locked cos i accidentally upgraded the firmware!

I have the same issue! except my firmware is 3.1.3! my iphone was broken so i took it to apple and they upgraded the firmware and now i have an unactivated iphone 3.1.3!

I've tried spirit but still no luck, any suggestions anyone please?

Thanks

Spirit only works if the phone is activated...if it's on 3.1.3 then it has the 05.12.01 baseband which cannot be unlocked at this time

thanks j3st3r3, is there any other way to jailbreak it?

i was thinking if i buy an AT&T sim card to activate it (because it's locked to AT&T), would it work?