Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone stuck in Recovery

Default iPhone stuck in Recovery
    Hi,

I have an iPhone that was running great for about a week (1st gen 8gb). It had 3.0.1 on it and everything was fine. Today, it went to a black screen out of the middle of nowhere and will not allow me to do anything. I believe that it is stuck in recovery mode and unable to get to DFU as I try to restore with iTunes and it gives me errors (Sometimes 1602, sometimes 1601, etc).

I have tried on multiple computers and I get the same error. Is there anyway to force the phone into DFU (I've tried the home, power button trick 100's of times).

Please let me know, Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

You may want to read this thread about that error.

Problem is QuickPWN won't see the iPhone since it's in Recovery (Or maybe DFU, I'm not really sure). If I plug it into an AC Outlet it does the apple boot logo reboot cycle. If I could get QuickPWN to see the iPhone then I could be in business

Thanks

The key is to get it in DFU mode so you can restore. Are you doing it correctly?

I'm pressing the power button for about 5 seconds, then pressing the home button (Without letting go of the power) for about 10 seconds, then letting go of the power button (While keeping home still pressed) and holding it there for about 30 seconds.

I hear my computer make the sound that something in the USB ports have been plugged in, but if I listen really closely it's almost as of I hear the sound of something being plugged in then out almost simultaneously

Thanks

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Well here's the deal, if it's plugged into AC power I can get the apple logo and I can get it to show the USB cable with an arrow pointing to the Itunes logo (Assuming that's DFU). However, If I plug it into USB I can't get it to show ANYTHING. It won't do anything at all except for me hearing a connect and disconnect on the computer

Thanks

nope, that's recovery mode your in.

• Recovery mode - A special mode in the device allowing firmware restoration; in this mode, the screen of the device shows a graphic
    • DFU mode - A special mode in the device that bypasses the loading of the operating system for recovery purposes; in this mode, the screen of the device is blank

You need DFU mode to restore.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-20 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

See, but how would I go about getting it into DFU while plugged in if it won't do anything? I'm starting to suspect that the baseband is messed up because I had to downgrade it a few days back, but it's been rebooted since then. That's the only thing I can really think of that it is

Thanks

Follow those instructions I posted.
    Plug the USB in and then follow.................

The baseband has nothing to do with DFU mode.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-20 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have, and I still get the error 1602.

Thanks

Huh, not sure where to go from here, have you Googled to try to find a fix for this error? You may try plugging the USB cable into a different port in the back of your machine, a different USB cable. Has to be a way. Sorry. I'm stumped but I will do my best to find a solution.

Yeah, I've been lookin for a while

I've also tried another PC, and multiple USB ports. I guess I'll keep lookin. Thanks alot for your help

Thanks

What itunes or you running?
    Completely remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    What itunes or you running?
    Completely remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall iTunes.
    I've tried Itunes 8.x(whatever the latest is) as well as 7.4 (I believe it was 7.4, might have been 7.0). I've completely uninstalled everything Apple related on the PC and it still does the same thing.

During the restore process with Itunes, it gets all the way until it says Preparing the iPhone and then it gives me the error. I can only get the iPhone to go to DFU when plugged into a PC (I verified with device manager, it says DFU) but nothing else. But when plugged into DC charger I can get the apple logo and manage to get it into apple recovery. I'm assuming that I need to figure a way to get the iPhone into recovery while plugged into the PC. While it's on DC power, if I unplug it at all it completely goes blank on the screen.

Do you guys know of a way to get DC Power to the iPhone and also have a USB connected to the computer? I've tried a couple USB hubs that have power to them from the wall, however they do not power the phone

I'm in the same boat, except I'm able to go to DFU mode.
    My friend updated his 1st generation Jailbroken/unlocked v2.1 iPhone to 3.0.1 in iTunes. Then he called me and I've used the last versoin of the Pwnage tool to make a custom 3.0.ipsw in order to jailbreak. But unfortunately after the restore, the phone stuck in recovery mode for ever. Originally I was thinking that I can't get into DFU mode properly, but I've repeated the process in redsn0w (it warns you if it's in recovery mode, instead of DFU mode) with no luck. I can't restore to any of the ipsw. Original ones, custom ones, doesn't take anything. When it's done in windows, Redsn0w report's that it's done, but the iphone continues to display hard drive picture and loading icon and after long time fails to the recovery mode. In itunes it gives the standard "..unknown error" message. Is there any way out of this?