Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dropped calls when jailbroken??? why

Default Dropped calls when jailbroken??? why
    OK, so I've been having horrible problems with dropped calls. I mean, my calls would drop about every few minutes and I couldn't even maintain a conversation. So I restored my phone to the 3.0 and now I don't have anymore dropped calls.. What gives? I used redsn0w to jailbreak and the 3.0 firmware. I had winterboard installed along with cydia and a few other cool apps like weather icon. Now that I'm on plain 3.0, my phone works so much better, it's even faster than when it's jailbroken. I've noticed a few other differences.

When Jailbroken:
    - Screen transitions (in and out of apps) are not smooth, but abrupt screen changes
    - Got frequent springboard crashes and had to respring numerous times
    - Sometimes couldn't answer a call as the "slide to answer" slider wouldn't move or respond to my touch as if the screen was locked

Not Jailbroken:
    - no issues with any of the above and NO DROPPED CALLS???

Anyone got an idea?

Well I re-jailbroke my phone using redsn0w again and the 3.0 firmware. Used aptbackup to restore my Cydia apps (worked perfectly BTW!!)

The screen transition problem seems to be fixed and apps are loading just as fast as they did on the base FW... Now I will pray that the dropped call thing doesn't return... Hopefully I just had some sort of corruption that the restore fixed..

OK - Update - After jailbreaking, started to drop calls again!!!!

So, I disabled Winterboard theme(specifically the Star Trek theme) and removed it.

I don't recall having such a dropped call issue prior to putting a custom Winterboard theme on, so hopefully this will work.
    Last edited by i007; 2009-08-12 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

So, I disabled Winterboard theme(specifically the Star Trek theme) and removed it.

I don't recall having such a dropped call issue prior to putting a custom Winterboard theme on, so hopefully this will work.
    As much as I love Winterboard, I've always had problems after installing some theme that has something java-based running that screws up the phone.

Try running your phone for a few days, without Winterboard, to see if the Star Trek theme was definitely the cause. I bet it was, but just to be sure, give the phone time to drop a call without the theme in question running.

Good luck!