Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help Jailbreaking 3G

Default Need help Jailbreaking 3G
    Hi all, im a bit of a nube here, and need sound advice on jailbreaking my iPhone 3G running 3.0.1. My computer is a Mac running OS X. I am a Canadian on Rogers, and need to know the proper way to jailbreak my phone. I basically just want to do this so I can add themes and ringtones.
    Also, what is the downside? Is there anything I can't do with my phone after jailbreaking that I can do now?
    Lastly, if I jailbreak it and god forbid it causes a problem... is there a way to go back to factory settings?
    Thanks all!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    Here is some info on why jailbreak. You be able to do everything on your phone as before and more.
    You can always restore in iTunes if you decide to return to stock Apple configuration.
    Here is a link and guide to jailbreak.
    Enjoy

Default bricking?
    Thanks tons. That helps. One more question...
    What can cause bricking?, and if my phone bricks, can I restore it?
    What are the chances of bricking it?

Thanks

Bricking is as the word implies, turn phone to a brick.
    Chances of this happening because of a jailbreak are nil.
    You can always restore in iTunes.

Default Clarification
    I really appreciate your help. Just to clarify... if I brick my phone, I can still restore? And... Which is better to use, RedSn0w, or Pwnage? My computer is a Mac os X

Thanks

redsn0w is the preferred.
    You will not kill your phone.
    Actually I dislike that term "Brick" if it was bricked you'd be buying a new phone. Jailbreaking will not do anything to the phone that a restore in iTunes could not fix. NO BRICK.

Here's a link for jailbreak on Mac
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-11 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Again... Thanks!
    You have been quite helpful. I am going to try it tonight!!

Thanks

Yup, continue to prove why I get the big bucks my friend, lolz

Bummer!
    Apparently, according to what The software says, RedSn0w doesnt work on macs that are PPC based. Only the newer Intel ones.
    Any chance you can help with this one?

Thanks

still a no-go.
    when i use that link, the link to download the ispw doesnt give me a file that redsnow recognizes as one it can use

The problem with RedSn0w not running on PPCs was fixed with 0.72
    If you have a 3G running 3.01 you need to use the 3.0 ipsw with RedSn0w - if you don't already have it you can download it from the downland section here at MMi
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Actually, its not redsn0w causing the issue. It opens up just fine. Its when i follow iclarified's step #2, (Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the firmware ipsw. Click the Open button to continue.), there is NO file in the folder with that name. No file with the extension ".ipsw".
    Just a bunch of other files from the: "3.0.0 (3G): iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" download.
    I tried downloading it several times, but redsnow doesnt see a file it can use. All the files are shaded.

So you are unzipping the ipsw file you are downloading.
    Either turn this feature off (I guess youi are using Safari on a Mac?) or use FireFox which doesn't automatically try and unzip Apples files which should remain zipped.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

ok...
    so, it worked, but i lost ALL that was stored on my phone including all my contacts. AND... I have no signal. No phone or net signal...
    HELP!!!