Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: battery problem with 3gs

Default battery problem with 3gs
    brand new 3gs,
    used redsnow 3 times but aborted jailbrake because i dont think i put it into DFU mode and redsnow just sat at "waiting for reboot"

used purplera1n,worked 1st time.
    set up as new phone,synced stuff

installed:
    sbsettings
    themes
    ssh thingy
    mim
    iblank
    fontswap
    tone fx

3g off,location off,wifi off,push off,ssh off

but my battery drains very quickly?? like 1% every 10 mins!!!

what could be wrong please??

also.. does redsn0w cause the battery to drain?
    Last edited by shik1; 2009-08-10 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The jailbreak itself doesnt cause any battery drainage.
    Open sbsettings and check your processes.
    Is your brightness all the way up?
    Are you using the phone or is the screen off?
    You're getting over 16 hours of battery life which isnt really bad at all I don't think

Thanks

1% every 10 minutes isn't that bad.

And no, the jailbreak itself does not cause battery problems (whether it be PR or RS)
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

It's more like every 5 mins actually all I'm doing is browsing web. No other processes open. My 3g lasted longer!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

so youre using edge to browse the web? so slow. Web browsing is one of the most draining things you can do.

No. Wifi I use for browsing. I've been browsing now for 3 hours and my battery has gone from 96% to 43%. Is this normal?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In your original post you said wifi off. Did you read my original post? Anyways, yes that sounds right

brightness halfway
    i did a test and left it on standy and came back to it every 5 or so mins..used phone for 3 mins ,put on standby for 5/6 mins, used phone for 3 mins....

maybe the battery is depleting normally, i've only just decided to display the % indicator so am noticing it depleting more.. you don't notice it that much when you're just displaying the battery icon....

cheers all

if you're really surfing the web that's pretty normal.
    consider this: estimated battery on wifi is 9hrs, on 3g it's 5hrs.
    that means that on wifi, the phone drops 11% per hour, on 3g it drops 20% per hour.

BUT: I have a problem with my 3gs where the battery just drops for no apparent reason. it's seriously annyoing. maybe you have the same thing ...

i jailbroke the phone as soon as i got it so i can't compare it to an unbroken state...

my work mates have iphones so.. i'll do a test with them...there's are not JB'd... cheers

Mine looses battery aswell, about 3% overnight while in standy, while surfing about 3% every 10 minutes, gaming takes a whole lot more battery.
    I`d really like to know why it`s draining the battery overnight while it`s in standby, no processes are running.

Quote Originally Posted by zaone View Post
    Mine looses battery aswell, about 3% overnight while in standy, while surfing about 3% every 10 minutes, gaming takes a whole lot more battery.
    I`d really like to know why it`s draining the battery overnight while it`s in standby, no processes are running.
    3% overnight is completly normal. in fact, that's pretty good. standby time is 300hrs. that means that in 9hrs ("overnight") you loose 3%.

oh and btw: there are ALWAYS processes running on the iphone (numerous in fact, at least 20 even in standby).

I know there are processes running that sbsettings doesn`t show, i was talking about processes like : safari, ipod and such.
    As for battery draining overnight, my 3G doesn`t loose battery overnight at all...

Quote Originally Posted by zaone View Post
    I know there are processes running that sbsettings doesn`t show, i was talking about processes like : safari, ipod and such.
    As for battery draining overnight, my 3G doesn`t loose battery overnight at all...
    well it's likely that it just doesn't show that, it's not always accurate. as I said, the advertised standby time is 300hrs, so 3% in 10hrs in standby is normal. if your 3G doesn't do that, that's cool, but it's still totally normal.

my 3gs loses 25-50% overnight, THAT sucks