Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking Suggestions Wanted

Default Jailbreaking Suggestions Wanted
    Hey there iphone community.
    I obtained an original iphone recently, and I would like to explore the jailbreaking options available, and their relative merits.
    When I got the phone, it was locked, I tried a few number combinations to get around the emergency only calls block, but nothing went anywhere.
    I tried to Ziphone it, but because iTunes wouldn't recognise it, Ziphone didn't work.
    Then I tried WinPWN, and that got through. SO I tried to put the phone in DFU (?) mode, and restore it via itunes, and have at it again with Ziphone. Wasted a number of hours getting a whole lotta nothing. Reverted back to WinPWN, so I had a fancy Ipod.
    I did not get the original SIM card with the phone, so I bought one at Wally World. When I just now installed the SIM, Ziphone still will not connect, saying there is an issue with comms through itunes, and telling me to try different ports, restart machine, and or reinstall itunes. Itunes did do a complete restore, and upgrade to whatever the current firmware is for a 1G iphone. But I did not go through the activation process, because I would like to jailbreak the phone, and use it w/out a contract.
    Any suggestions on what I should do to reach that goal? Is Ziphone the wrong software to use? Is WinPWN the way to go? Can I make calls/text without a contract via WinPWN?
    I have redsn0w, but it says it doesn't recognise the firmware versions I have available on my computer. What firmware does it like? Where can I get it? Is redsn0w more better as a jailbreak?
    Thanks in advance for helping, I know I am probably too much a slug to appreciate the capabilities of the iphone.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Install iTunes 8.2 then restore phone to 3.0. exit iTunes and then run redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w. Here is a guide that will help, choose what applies and then click. All files needed, pics and step by step instructions are there.

I just checked the version of itunes I have, and its 8.2.1.6; is there a different version I should be running?
    Thanks for helping out.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

that means you will have 3.0.1 firmware installed on the phone, no problem. Follow instructions and enjoy

I guess you can tell me where to point the firmware seeker for redsn0w. It needs to see the file before it allows me to move on.
    Suggestion?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Select the 3.0 FW in place of a 3.01 FW. I know it seems weird, but it works.

If you d/led 3.0 with iTunes it will be in:

XP: C: \Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates.

Vista: C: \Users\(user name)\AppData\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 2009-08-09 at 04:35 AM.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan