Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't seem to jailbreak my 3GS, no prob doing my 3G though

Default Can't seem to jailbreak my 3GS, no prob doing my 3G though
    Okay, after all the hubbub I created in my other thread about updating the FW on my 3G and then jailbreaking (still don't have all my Cydia apps back on there.....) I got a 3GS today and can't seem to jailbreak.

I'm doing everything exactly the same, the phone has been updated in iTunes to 3.0.1, but when I start the reboot process on the phone (via the instructions in redsn0w) the phone dies on me. That is to say, after holding the power button (3 seconds) and then holding the home/power buttons, at around the 7 second mark in the countdown the phone goes black and never comes back, not even during the 30 second countdown. I can hear the computer do the connect/disconnect noise a couple times, but the phone never comes back.

I ultimately have to hold power/home button for ~10 seconds to turn the phone back on after these failed attempts.

Help?

UPDATE: I tried doing Purplera1n tonight and it just sits there indefinitely with the picture of the guy holding an iPhone. I let it sit this way for ~10 minutes before doing a power/menu button reset, when the phone booted back up there was no new icon for freeze.

What gives? Do I have some new super phone that can't be jail broken?
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-08-08 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Dude, you are not following instructions properly.
    Nor are you keeping up with the times.
    Geohot said that purplera1n will NOT work with 3.0.1 on the iPhone 3GS and he's not building support for it.
    You WILL get problems if you try that jailbreak.
    If you are jailbreaking with redsn0w- which is the only way to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS on 3.0.1 because the patches are not kernel specific, the instructions are not to put the iPhone in DFU mode which is what you're describing.
    To jailbreak the iPhone 3GS, after you have chosen the 3.0 2,1.ipsw, let redsn0w prepare it and then when you press next, in laymans terms it tells you to-

1) Disconnect your iPhone from the computer
    2) Turn your iPhone 3GS off.
    3) Make sure that at least 5 seconds has elapsed after the phone has been turned off. That is, the spinning wheel has disappeared and the screen has gone completely black.
    4) Press and hold the home button and reconnect the iPhone 3GS to the computer.
    5) Keep holding it ans watch redsn0w for activity.
    6) When you see that redsn0w has started to upload the exploit, you can release the home button

You know you have done it correctly when you see funny white text scroll on the black screen on the phone like ZiPhone back in the day. After that, you will see the icon of a hard drive and all that and you know you've done it right.
    You see slambo, all the other iPhones are required to be put in DFU mode to take the jailbreak while the 3GS needs only be put in recovery mode.
    You should be in good hands now.
    SMS: OK
    MMS: OK
    YouTube: OK
    Maps: OK
    GPS: Frikkin Awesome!!!
    iTunes Music Store: OK
    AppStore: OK
    Cydia: Speedy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kofster For This Useful Post:

mrrippey (2009-08-08)

Thanks for the reply, I'm following the steps that every single Youtube vid I found told me to follow, as well as the written steps within redsn0w itself. I don't use this forum very often and as I referenced in my thread from earlier in the week, the sticky threads are hundreds of pages long and in many cases assume more technical knowledge about the process than I already possess.

So I get it, I need to do some other form of getting the phone ready before I hook it up to the cable, but I'm not clear on which part of the process to do it in. I got the phone to show the iTunes/USB cable graphic doing it the way you described, and then redsn0w told me I was in recovery mode and not DFU. So, what do I need to do exactly before step 1 in your post?

"You have ended up in Recovery Mode instead of DFU Mode. You probably misunderstood the instructions.

Please consult Google or YouTube for instructions on how to enter DFU mode."
    I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me out, if you ever need some pointers on how to work on cars I suppose I could return the favor.

UPDATE: I found a couple youtube vids for entering DFU mode, as well as a Google search, and I have no clue what I'm doing wrong as well as when exactly I'm supposed to hook up the cable/corresponding redsn0w spot.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Okay, so far the furthest I can get is to the "waiting for the second reboot", I seem to have conquered the DFU thing although it only seems to work while the phone has been plugged in and started from an on state. I just start the redsn0w process and then go for my DFU stuff, gonna try one more time with the cable disco'ed (hasn't worked that way so far) and if it still doesn't work I'm going to bed and will deal with it again tomorrow.
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-08-08 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your not alone my friend. There are alot of people having the same problem, myself included. My 3g worked just fine but my wifes 3gs won't JB. Just look over on the redsn0w forum aqnd you will see.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

Default This WORKS PERFECTLY on my iPhone 3GS on first try
    Quote Originally Posted by kofster View Post
    dude, you are not following instructions properly.

1) disconnect your iphone from the computer
    2) turn your iphone 3gs off.
    3) make sure that at least 5 seconds has elapsed after the phone has been turned off. That is, the spinning wheel has disappeared and the screen has gone completely black.
    4) press and hold the home button and reconnect the iphone 3gs to the computer.
    5) keep holding it ans watch redsn0w for activity.
    6) when you see that redsn0w has started to upload the exploit, you can release the home button

you know you have done it correctly when you see funny white text scroll on the black screen on the phone like ziphone back in the day. After that, you will see the icon of a hard drive and all that and you know you've done it right.
    You see slambo, all the other iphones are required to be put in dfu mode to take the jailbreak while the 3gs needs only be put in recovery mode.
    You should be in good hands now.
    follow the instructions. it worked and easier than 3.0 jailbreak actually. redsn0w 0.8 and 3.0 iphone 3gs ipws file
    Last edited by mrrippey; 2009-08-08 at 03:32 PM.
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

Quote Originally Posted by mrrippey View Post
    follow the instructions. it worked and easier than 3.0 jailbreak actually. redsn0w 0.8 and 3.0 iphone 3gs ipws file
    Did you read my reply to kofster?

Could my problem be that I'm using a Widows Vista 64 OS?
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-08-08 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Aha, I think I may have found the problem, for some reason it's the redsn0w I have. I'm using .8 that I DL'ed from this site but if you see the attached screen shot you'll see it says nothing about putting the phone into recovery mode, like I found in this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8w3ul_51zo"]youtube vid[/ame] (4:34 mins in)

Instead my Redsn0w looks like the attached pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -untitled-1-copy.jpg  

Okay, I went to a WinXP Pro machine and it works now.
    Note to all users (and this has probably already been figured out) Vista 64 bit doesn't work with redsn0w 0.8 and a 3Gs phone, but it worked with my 3G phone just fine.

I am Jailbroken, Cydia installed, and Unlocked! Woohoo!

Thanks

See?
    Now everybody's happy!
    SMS: OK
    MMS: OK
    YouTube: OK
    Maps: OK
    GPS: Frikkin Awesome!!!
    iTunes Music Store: OK
    AppStore: OK
    Cydia: Speedy

Yeah, you're write up made a whole lot more sense when redsn0w was working properly! As you can see by the attached screenshot pic from my Vista machine, RS wasn't working the same there as it did on my XP machine. Very odd but all is well!

Thanks!