Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: now what? I am told that I need different SIM card...

Default now what? I am told that I need different SIM card...
    I think I now have 3.0.1 but not certain of it since all I get in iTunes is that "The SIM card inserted...does not appear to be supported." What do I do now to get unlocked and jailbroken? I'll leave the questions about restoring my contacts and App store apps for later....

BTW, I've already got the Pwnage folder and everything in it....

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Don't worry about the sim card error, run the jailbreak and unlock and you'll be fine.
    Although I would say that redsn0w would be the preferred method chosen by most rather then pwnagetool. But they will both work. Your choice.

I always end up with the iPhone screen showing a USB coming from the bottom to an iTunes logo at the top. I think I am getting through the process to jailbreak and/or unlock but then.... I end up at the iTunes screen which shows an iPhone with no capacity, software version etc. and only the option to Restore or...? so I restore but at the end I have the same old USB-iTunes iPhone screen, and here I am again! Obviously I've forever lost my contacts, Cydia apps and possibly App Store apps but right now I'd just like to have my iPhone back to where I can make phone calls, never mind the apps or even the contacts. I'm using PwnageTool but also have redsn0w (what's the difference? should I try redsn0w now?). I created a Custom_Restore.ipsw file but am never asked to use it. Where have I gone wrong? Hopefully someone can help before I go nuts trying to get my iPhone working again. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stoker View Post
    Where have I gone wrong?
    You haven't read the above responses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iGuy For This Useful Post:

stoker (2009-08-07)

Thanks to all.....for advice and patience!

Thanks

The screen showing the iTunes logo & USB cable will always show up, as will "The SIM card...." - all you've done so far is installed a new FW.

What you need to do now is forget iTunes for the moment, and use RedsnOw to jailbreak/unlock your phone. After that set up your phone as a "New Phone" when prompted by iTunes once you start it again. You can then sync your contacts/music etc back.

Try this link (which has probably been posted more times on this site then any other)..... iClarified - iPhone - How to Select an iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak Tutorial

Just follow the steps to work out which best suits you

MMI has a "Search" facility by the way.