Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 3GS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak 3GS
    I tried to get a response to this question over a month ago and have not had an answer yet.

Please help ! I have the 3GS and i was wondering if I can Jailbreak the phone now and still be able to get the MMS and other features later or will I be screwed !!!!! If I can which Jailbreak do I want to use? Thanks in advance !!!!!

yes, you can. you should follow the following tutorials:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Windows) - you need to do this in order to jailbreak future firmwares above 3.0

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows) - the jailbreak

and yeah, you can still use MMS and stuff, why shouldn't you?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have the OSX version and I'm with AT&T so I don't have MMS at this time ! Just dont want to Jailbreak then lose everything when the upgrades come out when it is available and have to start all over if you know what I mean

oh, good for you because that makes capturing the two files a lot easier here you go ...
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Mac) [Updated]
    and
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Generate a Unique Certificate for Your iPhone 3GS' iBSS (Mac)

oh and you don't really lose any functionality if that's what you mean.
    but you DO have to keep both your eyes open if a new firmware is released. you cannot(!) upgrade your firmware in itunes, I can't stretch that enough. if you upgrade to stock apple firmware above 3.0 you will probably lose the ability to jailbreak, maybe forever.

Thanks

^^If the person gets the iBEC & iBSS files then jailbreak will always be possible.
    It's if you want an unlock that you have to look out for the updates.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I'm a little confused ! When the MMS Is available from AT&T for the IPhone 3GS is it not the firmware upgrade that you get from ITunes or Apple that makes these new releases work?

Thanks

Nope. it's all AT&T.
    MMS works fine in 3.0 if your carrier allows it.
    It's working on T-mobile
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something