Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Totally Confused!

Default Totally Confused!
    Hi guys

I need some help figuring out how to jail break my iphone. I'm seriously 100% totally completely without a doubt confused and stuck.

I got this from a friend recently and she doesn't know if it's jailbroken, hacked, standard or whatever. We think it's a first gen Iphone (8GB)

These are the stats of my Iphone currently (Taken from Settings>about)

Version: 2.2 (5G77)
    Carrier: 2.9
    Model: MA712LL
    Modem Firmware: 04.05.04_G

What I want to do is format it, put a fresh install of everything and then jailbreak it so I can use it on any carrier and put some cool apps on it. I would REALLY appreciate a step-by-step to do this cause I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks a bunch!
    Marie

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

If the back of the phone is gray and black it's a 2G, if all black it's a 3G.
    Update iTunes to 8.2 then you will update your phone to 3.0.
    Simply follow this link and it will have everything you need to jailbreak and unlock your phone. It is a tree type menu, follow and click what applies. Very easy with excellent instructions, pics and links to files you will need. There are a ton of threads on this process here, you can do a simply search.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

sweetmimi (2009-07-28)

Ok I've downloaded all the files and have tried to get started but I've hit the first barrier

Step 2: Restore the Iphone using iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

But downloading this file I get a ZIP instead and there's no .ipsw restore file in there. Only a few folders and some other files and this will not show as an .ipsw file in itunes or otherwise.

Am I missing something here? Should I just download and restore from Itunes directly instead? Will this still work?
    Last edited by sweetmimi; 2009-07-28 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

You have to update in iTunes to 3.0 first, then run the J/B
    Change the extension from .zip to .ipsw and your good to go.