Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ONLY jailbreaking iPhone 3GS?

Default ONLY jailbreaking iPhone 3GS?
    Hi,

I'm going to be switching to AT&T soon because my T-Mobile coverage is horrible so I'm getting an iPhone 3GS. Obviously I do not need to unlock it but is it possible to ONLY jailbreak the device if it remains unlocked or must you do both?

Also if the above is possible, would ONLY jailbreaking it still void my warranty with Apple if they found out that I did it or do they not care about the jailbreaking part of it?

Oh and one more thing while I'm at it...would I still have to worry about not upgrading to future firmware versions until it has been tested that the most recent jailbreak will still work with that upgraded firmware or is safe to just upgrade? I know it's not if your phone is unlocked but since we are talking about jailbreaking only I just wanted to know.

Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can jailbreak the iPhone as long as the Dev-Team or GeoHot or someone comes up with the jailbreak.

as of right now 3.0 can be jailbroken just use RedSn0w

Apple or AT&T will not know if your device is jailborken. if you ever need to go to the Genius Bar Just make sure you Restore. If you go into apple with a JB'ed device they will end up restoring and saying that the JB was the problem. and restore it there for you.

You can JB and since your going to be using AT&T you don't have to apply the Unlock Purple or Ultra Sn0w

hope this helps and i did not CornFusedU

if you update to a firmware from apple above 3.0, you will probably loose the ability to jailbreak, because the baseband will be updated! so only update to custom firmwares. better yet: before you update, get a tutorial on how to do it and keep the jailbreak.

ALSO: if you are planning on jailbreaking future releases, you must follow the following tutorial and keep the files you obtain. without them, you won't be able to jailbreak your 3GS:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Mac) [Updated] (mac)
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Windows) (windows)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The iBSS file is a hard one
    Put the iphone in DFU and open up your %temp% folder once they start appearing ctrl+click (drag to copy them)
    the iBSS is there for about 5 seconds only and is the first to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolMan0 View Post
    The iBSS file is a hard one
    Put the iphone in DFU and open up your %temp% folder once they start appearing ctrl+click (drag to copy them)
    the iBSS is there for about 5 seconds only and is the first to show up.
    if you have a mac you should do it on a mac. that will allow you to run a terminal script that automatically obtains the files for you.

I think the terminal script is even included in the tutorial mentioned above.