Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Descreased Battery Life after JB 3.0 IPHONE 3G

  1. #1
    Default Descreased Battery Life after JB 3.0 IPHONE 3G
    After I using the redsn0w to jailbreak my Iphone 3G on FM3.0,

    the battery life decrease much faster than FM 2.2,

    I actually restore the setting from the backup in iTurns to

    get back my contacts and photos and someone said that may be

    wrong.

    Does anybody have the same issue?

    No one has this issue ?
    Last edited by super_share; 2009-07-23 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. #2
    multiple people seem to have battery issues on 3.0 (me included). For me, not restoring from backup didn't fix it, but you can try it seems to help sometimes.

    If you need your contacts and stuff back, back them up manually. All of these things are stored on your iphone in /private/var/mobile/Library/ ... the folder names are pretty self explaining. for example, "SMS" contains your text messages ;-)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

    super_share (2009-07-24)

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin Louisiana
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    My opinion is this:

    If you have a 3G iPhone running the 2.2 firmware; which is on a phone that has little ram and smaller processor; not that big of a deal....then you upgrade to a firmware *3.0* that has MORE features, but, still the same amount of ram and same amount of processing speed, then your likely end product would be a faster degrading of battery life.

    You also have to figure in the fact that since you upgraded to the 3.0, you're on it more, playing with its new features more, hence draining the battery more...get it?

    If you think about it; this is a logical answer to your batter issues on the 3G phones after upgrading to the newer firmware.

    Chris
    Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus: The best of both worlds!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ugshotgun For This Useful Post:

    super_share (2009-07-24)

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ugshotgun View Post
    My opinion is this:

    If you have a 3G iPhone running the 2.2 firmware; which is on a phone that has little ram and smaller processor; not that big of a deal....then you upgrade to a firmware *3.0* that has MORE features, but, still the same amount of ram and same amount of processing speed, then your likely end product would be a faster degrading of battery life.

    You also have to figure in the fact that since you upgraded to the 3.0, you're on it more, playing with its new features more, hence draining the battery more...get it?

    If you think about it; this is a logical answer to your batter issues on the 3G phones after upgrading to the newer firmware.

    Chris
    logical maybe, but wrong.
    3.0 does not use more ram/cpu than older firmwares. ram doesn't matter anyway when it comes to battery life, the only thing that matters is the average cpu load. and it's the same as on 2.2. the only thing that needs more battery on 3.0 is push, and you can turn that off.

    and take me for example. my battery stays at 100% for several hours, then suddenly drops to 0% in about 4 hours. that has nothing to do with ram/cpu. there are several people with this problem, and most of them also say that their phone gets extremly hot while the battery is decreasing.

    it's a bug, that's what it is.

  7. #5
    my battery life is normal now after I post this .... I don't why, it just go back to the level of 2.2.1

    Strange....

    but thank your guys anyway!!

  8. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin Louisiana
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    logical maybe, but wrong.
    3.0 does not use more ram/cpu than older firmwares. ram doesn't matter anyway when it comes to battery life, the only thing that matters is the average cpu load. and it's the same as on 2.2. the only thing that needs more battery on 3.0 is push, and you can turn that off.

    and take me for example. my battery stays at 100% for several hours, then suddenly drops to 0% in about 4 hours. that has nothing to do with ram/cpu. there are several people with this problem, and most of them also say that their phone gets extremly hot while the battery is decreasing.

    it's a bug, that's what it is.
    I appreciate your input, but I remain firm on my beliefs that with lesser RAM, your CPU works harder to run the multitude of programs that are running on the phones; hence with less ram, more things have to happen that are hardware related, hence draining of the battery quicker.

    Also, the fact that with every firmware that comes out, people are eager to play constantly with the new toys....hence again, the more decrease in battery will be noticed.

    I believe my theory to be correct....give it a try....don't use your phone all day and see if the battery degrades as fast as its been.....reason why it doesn't??? I'll tell you, because the CPU and related hardware are not running as much, because you're not using as much.

    Granted, there maybe a bug that plagues some, but in my most humbled opinion, I think its mostly due to more usage by the user.

    Chris
    Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus: The best of both worlds!

  9. #7
    What's Jailbreak? mike_carter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default my battery up then down
    So I purchased the 3gs about 2 weeks ago, jailbreak using red snow bim bam done. In 4 days battery is depleting faster & faster to where it will visually show charged 100%, open Cydia & it drops 1 pt per sec, literally. Before it finishes reloading, I'm sitting at 72%. Faulty phone right,.....(& yes I've done every thing to preserve battery life, even had it in SAfe Mode) so I go to the Apple Store, my boy exchanges for another 32gb white iphone. Go home same thing, Blah Blah Blah, phone is jailbroken. Now I re-install package backup it reloads everything all like I had it..... Now 5 days since the 2nd phone Deja Vu. Yeah, it's back the battery discharge.
    Now I've installed some Battery App to chart the random power offs & I to believe its a bug that Apple has placed that once you jailbreak, the battery life is not right.
    Also, I just looked at my usage..... It says I havent fully charged this brand new Iphone in 4 days, I got it 5 days ago have discharged it & let it charge overnight.

    So if anyone has a bright idea, please post.

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by super_share View Post
    my battery life is normal now after I post this .... I don't why, it just go back to the level of 2.2.1

    Strange....

    but thank your guys anyway!!
    hopefully it stays that way, but I wouldn't count on it. my phone does this all the time. One week it works perfectly normal, the next week my battery drains like crazy again. No idea why.

    Quote Originally Posted by ugshotgun View Post
    I appreciate your input, but I remain firm on my beliefs that with lesser RAM, your CPU works harder to run the multitude of programs that are running on the phones; hence with less ram, more things have to happen that are hardware related, hence draining of the battery quicker.

    Also, the fact that with every firmware that comes out, people are eager to play constantly with the new toys....hence again, the more decrease in battery will be noticed.

    I believe my theory to be correct....give it a try....don't use your phone all day and see if the battery degrades as fast as its been.....reason why it doesn't??? I'll tell you, because the CPU and related hardware are not running as much, because you're not using as much.

    Granted, there maybe a bug that plagues some, but in my most humbled opinion, I think its mostly due to more usage by the user.

    Chris
    believe me, it's a bug. if I don't touch my phone at all (so standby, no wifi, screen turned off) my battery drains about 20%/hour if my phone

    and no, less RAM does NOT mean your cpu has to work more. If your RAM is full the iphone kills an app.
    also, 3.0 does not introduce a lot of apps that run in the background additionally (I think 3.0 does not introduce ANY additional apps that run in the background).

    I mean, technically you are correct: more CPU usage means more battery drain. but 3.0 does not use more cpu. The only thing - like I said - that needs more battery is push.

    A lot of people suffer issues where the phone uses more than 20% of battery per hour IN STANDBY. No matter how you put it, that is NOT normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike_carter1 View Post
    So I purchased the 3gs about 2 weeks ago, jailbreak using red snow bim bam done. In 4 days battery is depleting faster & faster to where it will visually show charged 100%, open Cydia & it drops 1 pt per sec, literally. Before it finishes reloading, I'm sitting at 72%. Faulty phone right,.....(& yes I've done every thing to preserve battery life, even had it in SAfe Mode) so I go to the Apple Store, my boy exchanges for another 32gb white iphone. Go home same thing, Blah Blah Blah, phone is jailbroken. Now I re-install package backup it reloads everything all like I had it..... Now 5 days since the 2nd phone Deja Vu. Yeah, it's back the battery discharge.
    Now I've installed some Battery App to chart the random power offs & I to believe its a bug that Apple has placed that once you jailbreak, the battery life is not right.
    Also, I just looked at my usage..... It says I havent fully charged this brand new Iphone in 4 days, I got it 5 days ago have discharged it & let it charge overnight.

    So if anyone has a bright idea, please post.
    unfortunatly, I can't give you a lot of help except: don't restore from backup in itunes. this seems to be the cause of the problem for some. also, turn wifi and push off and email-fetching, that seems to help sometimes as well.

    I would be interested in the "battery app" you mentioned though. I'm currently looking for an app that records my battery level and maybe makes a graph out of it or something.

  11. #9
    is reduced battery life a common problem? i was thinking of moving on to 3.0, but this would be a turn off.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by reneki View Post
    is reduced battery life a common problem? i was thinking of moving on to 3.0, but this would be a turn off.
    seems to be pretty common, but it's worse for some people. you can't be sure ...

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    seems to be pretty common, but it's worse for some people. you can't be sure ...
    seeing as I'm satisfied with 2.2.1 now, no reason to take the risk.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by reneki View Post
    seeing as I'm satisfied with 2.2.1 now, no reason to take the risk.
    3.0 is amazing...

    plus some of us (me for one) have great battery life. I get about 11 hours of usage, and about a day and a half of standby.

  15. #13
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP! Especially on big firmware releases like from 2.XX to 3.XX (even bigger especially - if the backup was made on a JB device)
    There's something in there that just doesn't agree with something in 3.0, so restoring and setting up as a new phone will help with battery problems.
    Also, turn off Push helps
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  16. #14
    I have turned off Push Notifications, but I have found that Push Mail doesn't take up any more battery than fetch. When people talk about turning off "Push" they really should be more specific because Push Notification and Push eMail are different things. I don't have great battery life, but I have decent on a jailbreak 2G 16GB iPhone running 3.0. I have fetch set up for my personal email and push for my work exchange mail and I have the push fix installed but no Push notification programs turned on or installed. I can get about a day's worth of moderate, but not heavy phone and internet usage over EDGE. I usually have about 45-55% battery life left at the end of the day and I usually charge every night.

  17. #15
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    ^^ That's pretty good battery life, especially for the 2G which has the worst battery.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  18. #16
    Default bugs in Jailbreak package???
    Jailbreak cause iPhone with firmware 3.0 drains its battery faster than normal.

    The battery holds up as well as previous firmware version when restore to factory default. Maybe the jailbreak + additional packages ate up memory and cause iphone does ton of memory manipulation/swapping???

    Every program (web browser, email, phone, iPod) takes more time to launch after jailbreaked the iphone. When restore iphone back to factory default, these programs can launch instantly without any delay.

  19. #17
    Really? The 2g has the worst battery? Don't say that, I've been pretty lucky with my battery life on my 2g!

    ESPECIALLY after doing the language pack deletes: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...rformance.html (Just in case some of you haven't heard about this yet. I've gotten a good 6 hours of extra battery life by doing this, not to mention all that free memory!).

  20. #18
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts

    ^^Yes, Apple improved the battery by a little with each new iPhone, but I don't think it's anything drastic compared to the 3G
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  21. #19
    I just jailbroke my 2g iphone using RedSn0w to 3.0.1. I've noticed that my battery dies 2 or 3x faster than normal which is a big deal to me. When charging, the phone gets really hot.

    Also, if i use the phone while it's charging, the battery stays relatively the same. The only way to charge to max is to charge it and not use it. Any solution to this problem?

  22. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    3.0 is amazing...

    plus some of us (me for one) have great battery life. I get about 11 hours of usage, and about a day and a half of standby.
    yeah it is pretty amazing, and i don't have any battery issues, but i started fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •