Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia is Dead!

Default Cydia is Dead!
    While downloading a theme called Illumine from Cydia, it went to the reboot screen while going thru the process.
    It took a bit to reboot, but afterward... Cydia now doesn't work.

It starts to come up but then just crashes back to the Springboard.

Someone PLEASE tell me there's a way to remedy this... without having to re-jailbreak, and reinstall ALL of my stuff back onto my phone...!

(Possibly somehow downloading Cydia onto my PC and SSH'ing it oto my phone someway...? I dunno.)

Also there have been updates on Cydia that I have been downloading & installing for Mobile Substrate.
    I have NO clue what this is, and am not really sure if it's supposed to be on my new 3.0 firmwarte or not, but have been updating it because it comes up in Cydia as something that needs and update. Am I right in updaing this?

Thanks!

Thanks

Are u connected to a wifi? Maybe it needs to
    update ? If not just run the jailbreak again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Your only hope is if you have sb settings installed... use it to boot into safe mode and then remove the last package you installed. If not you'll most likely have to rejailbreak as stated above... if that doesn't work... restore and start ALL over.

But that's my main question...
    will running the jailbreak again cause all my apps (native & 3rd party) to dissappear or not work...?

How do I "remove" the last thing I installed?
    It was a theme called "Illumine".
    Do I do it thru SSH?
    If so, where do I find the theme, and do I just delete it?

thanks.
    Last edited by themagician8; 2009-07-18 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Running the jailbreak will reinstall cydia. That's pretty much it. Just test it... you can't get any worse off than you currently are. Worst case.. you have to restore... get used to it if you're going to continue to own a hacked/jailbroken iPhone. I lost count a LONG time ago how many times I"ve had to restore. (100+)

To remove apps properly you have to have Cydia running and go into the manage tab.. this is why you have to get into safe mode. If it still won't run in safe mode you'll have to restore.

Thanks
    follow this guide

Hello, Moxi here, I am new to the forums, as you can tell .

I have seen a lot of people having problems with Cydia crashes Etc. via the Support forum.

I have written a very well in-depth tutorial on how to fix crashes on start up, and defects in general, it is very long, as a heads up, but is worth it if you want to fix these problems without having to re-jailbreak.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to PM me, or post down below, and let me know if this helped you, I actually wrote this out myself on my website (Will not list for various reasons, one being advertising) If you would like to know the site, again, PM me .

without further ado, the guide!

Before i get started, a list of a few things will be needed, as I do not want to waste your time, by finding out in the middle of the proccess you do not have access to one of these.

1. WinSCP program (If you do not have this program,please search WinSCP download via Google.com)

2. A WiFi connection (Just a plugged in router is fine, and by that i mean, your computer does not have to have internet access,and the router can use it, those of you who have this problem, know what I’m talking about.)

3. MobileTerminal (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, if you can’t it’s no big deal, but if deffinetly makes the proccess faster.)

4. ToggleSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as you will need this inorder to use WinSCP.)

5. AutomaticSSH (Get this Via Cydia/ICY, as again, you will need this to use WinSCP.)

Now, Since we now have everything we need, let’s get started.
    First off, open MobileTerminal via your iPhone/iPod Touch, wait for it to load (this will only take a few seconds.)
    Upon it loading, type in the following:

"SU"

It will then ask you to login, asking for a password, the password is “alpine” and is typed in as the following:

"alpine"

After entering a password, you will then need to type in the following as so:

"apt-get update"

This will try and resolve the problem, by finding a direct problem with Cydia, what this does, is look for the source, and or application that is corrupt, which is causing Cydia to crash at random.
    You will get something as listed below (Example

"/var/lib/apt/lists/acuemedia.com_repertgee_cydia_packages"

What this is, is telling you what exactly is the problem with Cydia, whether it be listing an application, or a direct source.
    What you do from here is simple.
    Your next step is to either write down that source/application, as we will be needing to delete this via WinSCP.

Skip this step if you received a message stating the source/application.
    If you did not get a source or application listed. If you got a messege such as “Fatal” or another stating there was nothing wrong, or you just coulnd’t get it to work at all, in any way shape or form. You are going to have to delete everything in the folder we are going into in the next step, please read on.

Go into your device, whether it be an iPhone, and or iPod Touch, go into Toggle SSH, and enable it.
    Load WinSCP (Via Windows) If you have a Mac, load up CyberDuck.
    Now, assuming you are connected to your device via WinSCP, go into the folder it listed in MobileTerminal, If you did not get one, or you do not have access to mobile terminal, follow the instructions below.
    Using WinSCP, go into the “apt” folder, now locate the “lib” folder, followed by the “list” folder.

While in the folder, you will see every repo added to cydai that you currently have, Now, find the source MobileTerminal listed from the above instruction, click on that source, once blue, either by right clicking, or simpley clicking on “Delete” delete that source (Read ahead below, if you did not recieve a specific source) once deleted, save and quite, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, and open Cydia, if all goes well, it should work and your back in buisness!

If you did not receive a listed source, you are the unlucky one, and what you have to do now, may take some time, but its worth it.
    Scroll to the top of the list, while holding CTL, begin to left click every source listed in that folder (Yes, every source.) once at the end, right click, and choose to delete all of them (Don’t be shocked just yet.) once deleted, exit WinSCP, reboot your device, then start Cydia once again, if all goes well, your back in buisness!

NOTE: Even though you just deleted every souce you had once added, it will ONLY delete the currupt source, meaning, every other source you added into Cydia, will remain in contact, along with everything you downloaded once before.

That’s it your done!

I hope this tutorial helped you, as it did me, but i wish i had this when i had the problem myself, if you have any questions at all, please, feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks.

-Moxi

UPDATE:
    If this guide happens to not help you in any way, and you are still having problems, then if worse comes to worse, you will have no choice but to re-jailbreak.

This is quite simple, whether you are running Firmware 3.0 and lower, simply use the program you used in the first place to jailbreak, and re-jailbreak. Of course, everything loaded will in-fact be lost, but hey.. It's better than not having it at all right?

Thanks' again,
    If anyone needs any help, please feel free to ask.

-Moxi

credit goes to moxi
    Last edited by mcca21; 2009-07-18 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone 2g 8gb 2.2 pwned

How do you reboot in safemode?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, that was a good guide I guess.
    But the problem is... I don't have Cydia to download and install all those progams mentioned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by themagician8 View Post
    Thanks, that was a good guide I guess.
    But the problem is... I don't have Cydia to download and install all those progams mentioned.
    Restore and jailbreak again.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Re-jailbreak. If that doesn't work restore and jailbreak

RESTORE and jailbreak?

Or just re-jailbreak...?

Why restore first?

(Pardon me, but I'm not that much of an expert on these things and I'd just like the info.)

Thanks.

Thanks

Just rejailbreak first. If that doesn't work then restore and jailbreak.

Thanks

I would restore and setup as a new phone and then jailbreak!

Thanks

^ That would be the best way to assure a clean slate.

Also, I just noticed that looking around on my phone via WinSCP, that there's some stuff left over from my old 2.1 firmware.
    even tho I updated to 3.0, and jailbroke my phone again.
    Stuff like old themes that don't show up in Winterboard, etc.
    Why are they still there, why didn't they get erased, and is there more stuff just lying around, like old apps, that are no longer "supposed" to be on my phone?

Seems like I have TWO folders with themes in them... the old, and the new. (I just deleted a lot of the old ones that I know aren't in Winterboard anymore., but there a few items still in that old folder. Why are there 2 of them?)
    And I was wondering how much other old stuff is on there taking up room.

Doesn't updating and jailbreaking delete that old stuff?

And if I re-jailbreak, am I gonna have even more old junk on my phone that's not on my phone, yet rents space on it?
    Also... I have Appbackup on my phone (tho I've never used it before.)
    I backed up my apps with it after updating to 3.0.
    Do you thik that might restore Cydia?
    (I have no clue about it, or how to retore those backed up apps. It just sounded like a good thing to download at the time.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by themagician8; 2009-07-18 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    I would restore and setup as a new phone and then jailbreak!
    ^^^This is the best way to go!

Thanks

^ It will leave more junk. Only way to wipe it clean is to restore and jailbreak. You might want to do it now anyways. If you have been just upgrading and jailbreaking for a while then your phone might be really bogged down with junk

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Just rejailbreak first. If that doesn't work then restore and jailbreak.
    +1

I totally agree
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 2009-07-18 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

When you sync your phone from a back up you are always going to pick up old files and settings from the previous process. So always set up as a NEW phone. Here is a method of pulling your info form the phone and still have a clean J/B without doing an iTunes sync.
    As stated above, you can re-jailbreak, not going to hurt anything or restore and then jailbreak. These are your options.

Thanks

Hmmmm....how many times has this been said??? LMMFAO

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I know, but If we do it over and over it seems to stick. lmao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast