Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions before I jail break!

Default Questions before I jail break!
    Alright I know you guys must get a ton of these threads but I tried seaching and didnt really find all the answers I was looking for.

Ok well I just got a 16 gig Iphone 3gs and I was thinking about jail breaking it. Here are the questions I have.

1. Is it possible that I could get stuck with the custom firmware or will I always be able to restore it to an official firmware if I choose.

2. Is it going to slow my iphone down. I dont want a custom theme I am just going to keep the normal one. I just want a custom lock screen and a few of the Cydia Apps.

3. Am I going to lose any data when I jailbreak it and will all my apps still function properly?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'll try to answer as best I can

1. You should always be able to restore to an official firmware

2. Depending on what/how many cydia apps you want it may slow your phone down, but im guessing from what your saying that your phone wont slow down hardly at all. It probably won't even be noticable.

3. Just make sure you sync your phone with itunes before you jailbreak and you should be fine. All your apps will work.

jailbreaking is realitvely safe in the big picture, worst you'll maybe have to deal with is a few bugs but I used purplera1n to jailbreak my 3gs and havent had any problems.

Awesome thanks! One more question. When 3.1 comes out I will either have to wait for a mod to come out that will let me run a jailbroken version of 3.1 or will have to go back to official firmware to use it correct?

I have some experience downgrading and installing custom firmwares my PSP and this seems a whole lot safer then that use to be.

1. Yes, you can always restore to a stock firmware.

2. It depends on what apps you download but most likely no.

3. You won't lose your data but just in case sync with iTunes beforehand so that it creates a backup. That way you can restore from the backup if something goes wrong. All your apps should still function properly.

Edit: This is what happens when you keep a tab open for a while and don't answer right away.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

ChipJr3 (2009-07-18)

Will I be able to sync it up to itunes as usual when I want to put more music/apps on it if I am running the custom firmware?

Yes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

ChipJr3 (2009-07-18)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

reguarding your question with 3.1. If you want to stay jailbroke dont update to 3.1 until someone comes out with a 3.1 jailbreak. otherwise your phone will return back to being unjailbroken

Ok and what should I use to jailbreak it? I saw a few differnt ways to jailbreak a 3gs and how long does it take? I started running purplerain then I chickened out and cancled it after it said running for like 10 mins. Should I have waited longer then this?

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I use redsn0w, since the dev-team has always been reliable, but you can try purplesn0w. A lot of people are saying it's great. I'm not sure about the time of purplesn0w, but redsn0w takes about 4 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I geuss I will try redsn0w this time. Thanks

And when 3.1 comes out can I just upgrade straight to the official 3.1 firmware if I choose too? Or will I have to go back to the official 3.0 firmware first
    Last edited by Darkhunter130; 2009-07-17 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wait until they are able to jailbreak it beforehand. Then we will cross that bridge when we get there.

edit: nvm
    Last edited by Darkhunter130; 2009-07-17 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok I jailbroke with RedSn0w but I have some issues. Cydia keeps crashing after like 5 seconds. I was able to install a few apps with it but that is it and I did not install icy. Is there a way I can get icy on there from my PC? And is it just like/as good as cydia?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhunter130 View Post
    Ok I jailbroke with RedSn0w but I have some issues. Cydia keeps crashing after like 5 seconds. I was able to install a few apps with it but that is it and I did not install icy. Is there a way I can get icy on there from my PC? And is it just like/as good as cydia?
    Here is a link that may help you cure your problems with Cydia.

I loaded it today though so that would not be my problem