Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Love Iphone, Hate the 30 Dollar Data plan.

Default Love Iphone, Hate the 30 Dollar Data plan.
    I was seriously considering getting the new iphone 3gs until I saw how much the data plan for the iphone costs. I already have a Samsung blackjack 2 with at&T with unlimited email and internet for 10$ a month on my family plan, so I really can't see why I'd have to pay so much more for the iphone data.

I was doing a little research online to find out if there were any other options. What I read was that ATT knows that I'm on the iPhone through my IMEI number.

So, one solution was to "fake" the IMEI number on the iphone to the IMEI of an old phone that I have (using Ziphone). That way I could keep my same data plan and AT&T would be fooled on what kind of phone I'm actually using..

This was perfect for me, however as far as I can tell, ziphone doesn't work on the Iphone 3GS.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me on what to do.

you cant fool AT&T even if u use a different phone then switch it to the iphone their system knows wut phone ur using ...The same way you try to fool them into thinking you have another phone is the same method they use to see if your using a iphone..... cant get around this one

and the data cost more because the iphone has apps and browsing which means its way more network intensive and theres a greater chance of u using ur bandwith on a iphone then on a blackjack
    Last edited by Darkhova; 2009-07-15 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Aven even if you did trick them into thinking you were on a blackjack, with the amount of data you would use would send up a bug red flag to ATT saying "Im not using a blackjack!!"

Yeah, the data plan is more because you can actually use it now with a real browser and its still cheaper than a blackberry plan.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Yeah, the data plan is more because you can actually use it now with a real browser and its still cheaper than a blackberry plan.
    How to do we tehther? I thought it wasnt available yet and that we had to pay even more from the intitial data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    How to do we tehther? I thought it wasnt available yet and that we had to pay even more from the intitial data plan?
    Its not available to the "average" consumer but its available

Well if you don't like the data plan there isn't much you can do without and switching to another carrier. T-Mobile has ways of cheaper data plans (with web2go; EDGE only) you'll have to pay full retail for the phone however and that's where the savings are offset.. with the 3G S you're really better off on AT&T.

OR getting a used and abused phone from eBay

$30 for the iPhone Data plan is not that expensive. Once you Jailbreak your phone there are endless possibilities to take FULL advantage of the data plan.

Also, I use a Blackberry data plan (also $30) on my iPhone. I have an iPhone and a Blackberry, which I swap the SIM once in awhile. The Blackberry Data plan will work on the iPhone, the iPhone data plan will NOT work on a Blackberry. The only thing I am missing on the iPhone with a Blackberry plan is visual voicemail which I could care less about because I get 1 voicemail a month if that.

AT&T's system is smart enough to realize which phone you are using but the system is not smart enough to adjust the plan correctly. I have been doing this for a year now with no issues and no additional charges.

$30 alone wouldn't be so bad, but 59.99 for 900 minutes, plus 30 for data, plus another 19.99 for messaging over 2 years makes it expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Well, you can tether but I was actually talking about the browser on the iphone vs the browser on the blackjack, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhova View Post
    you cant fool AT&T even if u use a different phone then switch it to the iphone their system knows wut phone ur using ...The same way you try to fool them into thinking you have another phone is the same method they use to see if your using a iphone..... cant get around this one

and the data cost more because the iphone has apps and browsing which means its way more network intensive and theres a greater chance of u using ur bandwith on a iphone then on a blackjack
    This is FALSE. I have had the iPhone 3G with a media net data plan for 15/month. Unlimited 3G speed data, never any hassles until now. ATT just fixed this by eliminating the media net data plan.

If you currently own a iPhone 3G and are lucky enough to be paying $15 for the MEdia Net Unlimited data plan, your luck is about to change. And not for the better. AT&T is currently on the hunt for you, and you will soon join the rest of us in coughing up another $15 a month of your hard earned money for the the $30 iPhone 3G data plan.
    You chould be receiving the following email anytime now:
    Our service records indicate that you are using an iPhone 3G with a data plan designed for other devices. To avoid unexpected data overage charges and enable Visual Voicemail, please contact your telecom manager, or an AT&T representative at 1-800-331-0500. Thank you for choosing wireless from AT&T. We appreciate your business.

I used to use ziphone to spoof my imei, and it worked beautifully. I do not know if there is a way to do this now, and if so, is there some new way to get a discounted data package that I dont know about? Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

@madmax you said the person was false in saying you can't fool AT&T with then proceeded to tell them how AT&T caught you.

go with tmobile for 5.99

Gotta pay to play.