Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring Jailbroken iPhone 3G while keeping messages

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Smile Restoring Jailbroken iPhone 3G while keeping messages
    I have read lots of guides around but none of them address exactly what i want to do

what i want to do is full wipe my iphone and restore stock 3.0 firmware on it because atm my jailbreak is screwed up BUT i want to somehow backup my photos, messages and contacts. i have worked out how to backup photos and contacts but messages is another matter. i know the normal way is to just restore from a backup after you restore your iPhone BUT i dont want to do that, i want to erase all the other information but my messages contacts and photos and when i restore from a backup it restores a lot more then just that.

So if anyone knows how i would do this i would be greatly appreciative if you would let me know

Thanks,
    Aydin

There was this program called itwin. It would read your databases in itunes. Future revisions were supposed to allow you to import/export. Not sure if it does it yet.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

After you plug in Your phone in iTunes, under one of the tabs with the calendar, mail and contacts, you can check sync contacts to computer. It will sync them to your address book ( on a mac). As for photos, just ssh to /var/mobile/media/dcim/100apple and move all the pictures to you desktop, and after your restore, ssh them back in again. There are actuLly two folders there, 999apple and 100apple. I'm not sure which it's in, it may be both, so look at that. And as for messages, there's a tool under messaging in cydia to back them up. Check that out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i found this application called Syphone, its got an import and an export option so does that mean it will be able to import my sms's then when i restore my iphone export them back onto the phone? i might try it out if anyone knows about this software i would be very appreciative if you could tell me if it works

worked out it cant read all my messages cause isnt compatible with new iTunes or iPhone 3.0 hmm so now still looking for a way to do it, this is a real pain, why does apple have to be so complicated for

i was thinking about like extracting my messages from a backup, then restoring my iPhone then when it makes a new backup of the fresh restored iPhone just copying over the message files i extracted before i restored my iPhone but the problem is when i look at the backup i cant clearly see where it stores all the messages so i dont know which file i have to extract and replace.

Does anyone know where i would possibly look to find these files?
    Last edited by Aydinz; 2009-07-15 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

I said it in my earlier post. There's an application in Cydia under the messaging section called treasuremytext. It backs them up to a webserver.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I tried treasuremytext but this is not the kind of app I am looking for and even if it was with this app you have to save messages one by one and when I'm trying to save over 500 messages it's not easy. All I want is a simple app that can either look into my phone or my backups and extract either the SMS database file or even better convert it into readable format because from what I'm seeing what I want to do is proving to be an impossible task at the moment. Does anyone know of an app that will do that?

i upgraded my 3g iphone from 2.2 to 3.0. i only used itunes to back up all my messages, photos, notes, contacts, everything in my fone. i just sync the fone on my laptop using itunes 8.2 (since i will using 3.0) then after the update and restore, i choose my saved/backup name of the iphone (not as new iphone) then after syncing, everthing is back to where they are, only legit application excluding the ones i've downloaded from cydia. anyways, good luck!

i have around 2000+ mesages, 300 contacts, 200+ pictures (i took using my iphone), notes, etc... all back in there place! hope this works for you!
    Last edited by Pinoynoob; 2009-07-15 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks

So your saying messages are saved too?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    In A backup all of it is saved and I know this to be true. But the problem is that I don't want everything from my backup cause I'm planning to just keep a stock Iphone and not jailbreak it but the problem is the backup saves jailbreaked settings as well. E.g. Keeps the percentage next to my battery it keeps all my sbsettings prefs. I want to have a fresh install with nothing but my contacts messages and photos and I know how to keep everything but my messages and that's what I was wondering if anyone here knows how I would go about doing that. Prefereably being able to save and then put back on my phone but if that isn't possible then just save it to my pc. I have found some apps but all the ones I have found either have problems because of 3.0 firmware or the latest iTunes. So if anyone knows of an app that has been updated to surpass both of those requirments I would be greatly appreciative

Kind Regards,
    Aydin

I WORKED IT OUT Thanks to everyone and some extra looking around i found a way to do it

its all thanks to an app called iTextUploader! it is amazing, its quick its fast, it lets you view and sync your text to their "cloud" and then view them either from safari on your phone, their own iphone app found in cydia or your computer browser

it was a bit fiddley to do what i wanted but i got it in the end, what i did was i synced my messages to the cloud and then restored my phone on a fresh backup then i jailbreaked the phone, i installed iText Uploader, imported my messages back from the cloud, restart my phone and it was there! then i connect my iphone did a backup copied the backup out of the backup location onto the desktop and deleted all files in the backup folder. restored my phone again! and then copied the iphone backup back into the backup folder, right clicked on my iphone in iTunes and restored from the backup i made with my texts and it worked!
    Last edited by Aydinz; 2009-07-16 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost