Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JB 3GS not detected in Mac iTunes 8.2, won't allow restore using 2,1_3.0_7A341 ipsw

Question JB 3GS not detected in Mac iTunes 8.2, won't allow restore using 2,1_3.0_7A341 ipsw
    Folks -

So redsn0w and ultrasn0w JB and unlock processes worked great last week, and I've been enjoying my 3GS on the Mobistar network in Belgium since.

This week a new problem occurred - iTunes doesn't detect my iPhone! I'm on a 13" MacBook using OS X 10.5.7 with iTunes 8.2. I am able to see the iPhone under System Profiler, but it's not showing up in iTunes.

Tried some of the techniques described for older iPhone versions, such as reinstalling iTunes (even tried downgrading iTunes to 8.1.1), removing the AppleMobileSupport files from /System/Library and Library/Receipts, but nothing seems to work.

I figured what the hell, I'll run a restore and go through the jailbreak again. So I put the phone in DFU, and it shows up in iTunes. I figure I'm saved, but when I option-Restore and point to iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw, iTunes says that "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible (BS, because I used it to restore from purplera1n before applying redsn0w)... an attempt at a normal restore says that "Software for this iPhone is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again".

Hmmm. I've tried different USB cables; unfortunately I don't have a 2nd computer available to try synching there... but I was able to synch with a friend's Mac over the weekend.

I was able to re-run redsn0w... a try at running purplera1n again failed. I'm not freaking out yet, because the phone still works fine - but I can add any songs or pictures by syncing... If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the firmware not being found for a normal restore is probably the cause of your downgraded iTunes. Upgrade iTunes to 8.2, then try to DFU and normal restore again. That should work. Then after that, use redsn0w with the firmware that was downloaded through iTunes, not off the internet. Then try purplera1n again. (Thanks for posting with information too, makes it much easier to help)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Default JB 3GS not detected in Mac iTunes 8.2, won't allow restore using 2,1_3.0_7A341 ips
    Bteamer -

Thanks for the tip. I should have specified that under 8.1.1 and 8.2 the only time it recognizes the iPhone is when it's in DFU mode. In 8.1.1 I got an error to the effect that I needed to use the most current version of iTunes to work with this iPhone. DFU restore efforts under 8.2 produced the errors I mentioned in my last post.

Tried the DFU restore with both Firmware downloaded form the net as well as Firmware from /users/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates...

I'll also add that when playing with purplera1n and redsn0w (before the Mac version was out) - I successfully restored multiple times after screwing it up... curious that it's not working now!

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Chris

Thanks

Try putting it into just restore mode, not DFU. It should have the connect to iTunes logo.

1. Connect to comp
    2. Turn it off
    3. Press the power button and hold
    4. Right after you press the power button, press and hold the home button
    That may work. (restore and update through iTunes. duh)

Default JB 3GS not detected in Mac iTunes 8.2, won't allow restore using 2,1_3.0_7A341 ips
    Bteamer -

Man, I really appreciate the suggestions! Unfortunately, both methods (DFU vs. Restore) produced the same error when it came time to restore.

Just to make sure I have it right - on DFU the screen remains black while in Restore mode I see the pic of the USB cable going into the iTunes icon...

I must've tried each way about 10 times and have scoured the web for other solutions... but no-one seems to have the problem under 3.0 - found a ton of articles (including Apple help articles) on iTunes deinstall/reinstall procedures for users with 2.2 and earlier.

As far as the firmware file not being compatible, it shouldn't make any difference how badly I've screwed with the version installed on the iPhone, right? I've got Winterboard on there, and have been screwing with the Dockflow icons for the past few hours... but thought that the restore would ignore whatever is currently loaded on the iPhone. Hmmm.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

You've got them both right. This problem is in a seperate class of it's own. A DFU restore should fix almost anything. So you're phone is not recognized at all by any program on your computer. However, it IS on your friends, so that rules out the possible flex cable issue. Then I'm going to guess that the problem is with your USB port, since you've tried multiple cables. If you have another USB port on your computer, then try that. And if that doesn't work, see if you can get a hold of another computer, DFU and restore to stock on that, then try to re plug into your computer.

Update: Borrowed a friend's iPod classic (120Gb) and was able to connect with iTunes - same cable, same USB port... this is getting interesting! Is Apple really going after JB iPhones? Or am I the only one having this problem?

Upgraded to iTunes 8.2.1 today - against my better judgement, as well as all the well-intentioned advice on the dev-team website. Lo and behold, the iPhone showed up, and is currently syncing. I'll post again to let you know whether or not it screws everything (my JB & unlock?) up!
    Last edited by wernerc; 2009-07-16 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with upgrading your iTunes now. That was a while ago before the dev-team released their fix for whatever was up with it. And it shouldn't do anything to your jailbreak or unlock whatsoever.

Update: Yup, the sync took a while - but everything seems to be working! Thanks a ton for the help - glad to know that it was a freaky software issue that the iTunes update resolved! Thanks again for helping the n00b!

I just bought a jailbroken iphone 3 GS, I used to have a 2 g... I connected to the computer, did the sync and it just sinc the contacts but no music, videos or photos. I tried to connected again and It looks like it doens't recognaize the data. It just appears like hooked to itunes but you can't se any of the content neighther it will sync.
    Can you help me with some advice? oh I forgot. I have itunes 8.2.1

Thanks

+1 on using firmware downloaded thru iTunes. I've always had problems for some
    reason using
    firmware downloaded from the Internet.